• Aug 12th, 2018 11:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1371 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto

Need help quick buying kids cool gifts

Hi, I need to buy two gifts this morning. One for a 7 year old boy and one for a 9 year old girl.
Both of these kids love their idevices so I would like to get them off of these things even if its for a little while.
My budget is about $60 each.
What are some cool gifts I can pick up locally (Walmart, Mastermind etc) THIS MORNING!?
TIA!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2996 posts
2525 upvotes
Vancouver
My kids loved this type of marble run game when they were 7, I gave the game to my friend and his 7 year old loves it too. $50 at Toys R US

18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts a location-specific question without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
Mastermind has really great toys. Just go there. What are their interest?

LEGO, building sets are great.
Craft sets are really fun too.
Fingerlings T res is good if the boy likes dinosaurs.
Unicorns, mermaids and pandas are the hot toys right for girls.

Without some idea of interests it’s hard to give adavixe.

My best advice is go to mastermind toys. That’s my go to for something cool.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2328 posts
1264 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
DIrty-D wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 8:50 am
Hi, I need to buy two gifts this morning. One for a 7 year old boy and one for a 9 year old girl.
Both of these kids love their idevices so I would like to get them off of these things even if its for a little while.
My budget is about $60 each.
What are some cool gifts I can pick up locally (Walmart, Mastermind etc) THIS MORNING!?
TIA!
Ah, yes...the ol' "ya know, I don't know you well enough to actually know what you like, so here's a gift that was suggested by a bunch of random strangers on the interwebs this morning when I figured they'd have a better understanding of your interests than I do..." gift.

Go to a store that you think may have good merchandise suitable for interrupting their screen time and buy something. I'm always amazed when people ask here what to buy people close to them for gifts...especially if it's boy/girl friends or other significant people.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1371 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
ALLCAPS wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 10:05 am
Ah, yes...the ol' "ya know, I don't know you well enough to actually know what you like, so here's a gift that was suggested by a bunch of random strangers on the interwebs this morning when I figured they'd have a better understanding of your interests than I do..." gift.

Go to a store that you think may have good merchandise suitable for interrupting their screen time and buy something. I'm always amazed when people ask here what to buy people close to them for gifts...especially if it's boy/girl friends or other significant people.
You must be a ton of fun at parties.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2328 posts
1264 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
DIrty-D wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 12:05 pm
I guess I am, because I buy gifts from the heart rather than simply what random strangers in the interwebs suggested that kids they don't know may like.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1371 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
ALLCAPS wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 12:37 pm
I guess I am, because I buy gifts from the heart rather than simply what random strangers in the interwebs suggested that kids they don't know may like.
Wow please get lost. I dont have kids and I dont know what kids like. Seriously find something productive to do than to shitpost peoples threads. Seems to be a steady trend based on your previous post history. You are very combative in your posts so just chill out will ya?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2328 posts
1264 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
DIrty-D wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 8:23 pm
You are very combative in your posts
Hmm...why don't we look at who is being combative?
Seriously find something productive to do
shitpost
Wow please get lost
Certainly someone is being crotchety in this thread, but it doesn't seem to be me.

This is a discussion forum. I'm discussing. You may even notice that I can do so without insults - something you have not been able to do, apparently. If you can't handle the various viewpoints that may arise in the course of a discussion in a public discussion forum, then maybe it's not for you.
I dont have kids and I dont know what kids like.
Fair point, so I would suggest the best solution then is it ask the kids' parents, or someone else who knows the kids, for suggestions. If you're looking at spending $60 per kid, presumably they're pretty special kids to your life, or it's a special event, so presumably there's something that may be useful for the event as well and those people really close to them will have a far better idea of what has worked in the past, and what certainly hasn't.

When I see posts along the lines of the "it's my girlfriend's birthday and I don't know what to get her..." I can't help but think that the recipient isn't that special, since the gift is being purchased at the last minute, or based solely on the recommendations of complete strangers. I see the value of the gift being diluted immensely because there doesn't seem to have been a lot of thought put into it by the giver. It's kinda like going out at Christmas and buying everyone a packet of Oreos and a box of cheap chocolate, no matter who they are. There's a huge difference between "what can I buy them..." and "I'm having trouble deciding between X and Y as a gift..."
so just chill out will ya?
Considering how worked up you're getting in this thread, I really think you need to heed your own advice. You may also want to be open to all perspectives of conversation.

Of course, the gift would have already been purchased since it's now Sunday evening, so I guess I hope they enjoyed the marble run game that was suggested. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)