Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 21, 2009
15 posts
1 upvote

Need help? Seizure incident happened

Seizure Receipt:

Allegation: The said goods are seized because they have been unlawfully imported by reason of non-report [Sec. 12, C.A.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my English is really bad, please help me thank you.

I drove to united states, Detroit today, spent almost 2 hours with friends there, and drove back to Toronto
I picked up some gift ( clothing), where my friends bought online for me, the gift was bought from online and shipped to my friends house.
when i get to Canadian boarder, the guy asked me how much money did i spend on goods, i said 30, because i spent some money to eat.
and he asked me any alcohol and tobacco i said none, any cash exceed 1000. i said no.
and he gave a yellow slip to go to the other side. when i got there, cbsa guy asked me to open the car back trunk and get out the car.
after i got out, another person immediately took some cloth out and put on a cart. the guy asked me how much was the cloth worth,
i told him around 1-2 hundreds dollars maybe, i do not know, cause my friends bought it for me online. and he asked me to give the receipt to him,
i said i dont have it, my friends bought it for me from online.
then he took everything that seems like new to him and put on a cart. he asked me again how much
are they worth, i said 1-2 hundreds, im not sure, and he yelled at me saying if your lying to me i will seize your items. and i told him again, i do not know how much are they
i do not have the receipt, and i told him that i can call my friend to have his online loggin and password, so they can check the receipt online. and he said ok
and they searched my car from top to bottom, they looked every single paper from my car, they took everything from my pocket, wallet,smoke,and keys.
everything they found was just some cloth.
Then we went inside, he told me to find out the online loggin and password, so they can check the price of the items, and if i dont,
they will find the items price online. and charge me the tax.
i called my friend and wrote the loggin and password to them.
After they printed the receipt online, they charged me 50% of everything. and gave me a record last 7 years.
i asked him what do i have to pay 50% of everything, he simply said because your stuff is seized you have to pay to get it back.
and i asked him what did you seize my stuff, im willing to pay the taxes, and he said because you lied to officer at cross boarder,
said you purchased 30 dollars worth goods. and i said yes, i did purchased 30 dollars food, and the stuff from my car is gift for me from my friend in USA.
and i told him, i did not know how much the cloth worth, and i did not lie based on the question i answered at the boarder, i called my friend to have the loggin and password,
so you can check the price. which part i did lie to you and did not coorport with you. and he simple just said "I DONT CARE". i explained again and again, the situation
all he said was "I DONT CARE"

ok guys, i got couple questions.

first of all, when i was at cross boarder, they guys asked me how much money of goods i bought today, i told him i bought some food worth $30, is there anything wrong with it?
i did not spend anything on the clothing, i know everyone has to declare things bought from other side of boarder, but i did not really buy the cloth, it was just a gift. and i do not
have the receipt and have no idea i need to tell them i have gift.

also, are they allow to search my car like that? without any announce, what they said at very beggining is, stop your car, pop out the back trunk and get out the car. and they searched everything in the car.

also after i gave them the loggin name and password from the website, they spent long time inside office to find out the price. after awhile,
the cbsa guy came out, and told me he did not find an item from the receipt online. and he immediately dragged my jacket and checked my jacket collar to find the brand.
after he checked, he showed me the printed receipt and said, ohh i did not find this item from your car, it looked very similar what you wearing right now. and he left and went back inside.
the jacket i was wearing is 3 years old. and i felt i was being assaulted by the cbsa guy to check on me.

after i paid, they took everything out, and gave me back my wallet, and yes, they searched my wallet too, they took my ID without any concern, and cars ownership.
and he asked me "do you want me to put it back" and i said "yes". the cbsa just throw everything to my cars back trunk, he did not put back to original place. and i started to put everything tight so i can close the back trunk, dont get me wrong, i did not have that much cloth, i had some boxes contained windshield wash and car wash fluid and some junks,
and yes, they took those box to check as well.
So i was organizing the stuff in the back trunk, the cbsa guy came to me, and said what you doing, i told him im trying to put everything back, cause i had some stuff was placed on backsits, now, everything its back trunk, it wont close. and he said, "I DONT GIVE A S.H.I.T, go to other side, the currency exchange. we have do search here, go there" and i said ok.
i did not record this conversation, but i really felt i was being assaulted. i did not do anything wrong!!!!

basically, i feel really bad, because i feel i was offended. i felt that cbsa guy is really monster,
no matter how much i explained, how much i said, all he said was "I DONT CARE",
its not really a big deal how much money i need to pay, i felt they are not doing a proper job. i need some help from you guys.
this is my first time driving to US, and i got a 7 years record. meaning future my goods will be inspected; and
more serious action such as seizure of your goods and criminal prosecution will be taken if I have improperly declared goods again.

and again, my english is bad. please provide me any useful infomations.
please help thank you.
Share:
21 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3045 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Well, you broke the law - since you need to declare everything, including gifts. Gifts are only non-taxable at less than $60 dollars.

I don't see anything that the CBSA did wrong, as if they suspect you're lying, they have the right to search your car. Perhaps they weren't the nicest, but they never are.

Next time, read up on the rules before you cross the border - you declare everything.
Jun 6, 2009
160 posts
10 upvotes
Your English is not that bad, to be unable to read the declaration sheet. Its pretty clear on the declatation sheet is to declare everything you bring back to Canada including gifts.

Seriously, there is nothing you can do, as technically you broke the law, let this be a lesson learnt.

As for the CBSA guy being rude, how he is being rude?? you broke the law, he was enforcing it. You can't expect red carpet service from the guy when you broke the law, knowing or unknowingly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6000 posts
655 upvotes
Greely
greenteashop wrote:
Jan 8th, 2012 5:00 am
i did not do anything wrong!!!!

Yes, you did. You have to declare everything you are bringing in, gift or not.

Lesson learned.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7065 posts
1373 upvotes
Mississauga
I think you knew what you were doing and tried to scam Customs. And your english is just fine.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
May 17, 2007
387 posts
12 upvotes
sq380 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2012 8:47 am
Your English is not that bad, to be unable to read the declaration sheet. Its pretty clear on the declatation sheet is to declare everything you bring back to Canada including gifts.

Seriously, there is nothing you can do, as technically you broke the law, let this be a lesson learnt.

As for the CBSA guy being rude, how he is being rude?? you broke the law, he was enforcing it. You can't expect red carpet service from the guy when you broke the law, knowing or unknowingly.
"I don't care" and "I don't give a ****" are rude statements and inappropriate for a border officer (well, for anyone working with the public). Probably the guy was just having a bad day but still...

Like others have said OP, you were in the wrong... don't worry too much about it... now you know for next time.
Jun 13, 2009
888 posts
138 upvotes
It's easy to say OP is in the wrong because he didn't know that gifts have to be declared as well.

However, how is he suppose to know? He approached the border. Answered all questions based on what the border official asked him with no mention of gifts. Had he said 'gifts' maybe the whole ordeal could've been avoided.

Is he suppose to read it online? Are we assuming everyone has Internet access? Especially when travelling?

[QUOTE]first of all, when i was at cross boarder, they guys asked me how much money of goods i bought today, i told him i bought some food worth $30, is there anything wrong with it?
i did not spend anything on the clothing, i know everyone has to declare things bought from other side of boarder, but i did not really buy the cloth, it was just a gift. and i do not
have the receipt and have no idea i need to tell them i have gift.[/QUOTE]

How do you declare gifts without knowing the cost anyway?
Oct 21, 2005
576 posts
60 upvotes
London
One has to declare gifts and anything one bought outside of Canada. Not everyone knows about the gifts part, but nevertheless, it is still the law. I crossed the border many times, sometimes the custom officers would ask about how much gifts I've received, sometimes the officer would just ask how much goods you brought back to Canada. My advise, learned the lesson, and don't made the same mistake again.

skwigglyline wrote:
Jan 9th, 2012 11:46 am
It's easy to say OP is in the wrong because he didn't know that gifts have to be declared as well.

However, how is he suppose to know? He approached the border. Answered all questions based on what the border official asked him with no mention of gifts. Had he said 'gifts' maybe the whole ordeal could've been avoided.

Is he suppose to read it online? Are we assuming everyone has Internet access? Especially when travelling?

Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6710 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto
skwigglyline wrote:

When you cross the border you should always know the value of any goods purchased or acquired while outside the country.

Does this take the "fun" out of gifts? Sure, but you're crossing an international border, it's a totally different situation than sitting in your home opening presents on Christmas morning.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6710 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto
OP, I'm not going to comment on any of the specifics from your post (I am a former BSO), however, I will tell you that you have the RIGHT to appeal your seizure. It will be documented in the paperwork given to you.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
674 upvotes
South of Ottawa
skwigglyline wrote:

Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. CBSA has lots of information available online, at POEs, etc. "Know before you go".
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13705 posts
1276 upvotes
sq380 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2012 8:47 am
Last I checked, there was no rule that stated border guards had to be dicks to people as a matter of their day-to-day law enforcement duties. That's a service they provide at their own discretion.

The only reason I mention this, is because you seem to think that breaking the law gives law enforcement a free pass to act like asshats to people. It doesn't. Just follow the procedure and leave your ego out of it.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3876 posts
1092 upvotes
Moncton
Lesson (hopefully) learned: don't bring back cloths from the US. You are also supposed to pay the Michigan sales tax you avoided by buying online to the state of Michigan (they need the money).

Frankly, you got off easy. I would have deported you.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13705 posts
1276 upvotes
^
Personally, I was going to say firing squad, but I guess y'all are just a bunch of softies.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3876 posts
1092 upvotes
Moncton
^

Well, Harper did cave into the union and gave the border folk guns (at a cost of millions of $ per year because of training). They need to use the guns at some point or it will be declared a waste of money. Tazers have already been proven effective at the Vancouver airport on a Polish traveler with poor English skills.