3115 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga

Need help selecting sprinkler system

House: Semi-detach
Water connection: In the backyard

Requirements:
Must be easy to take apart and store for winter
100% automated (don't care for wifi/apps, just needs to be on a timer)

Now, i've selected the programmable timer device already, a 2 valve device Melnor 2-Outlet Digital Water Timer.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073LZ ... EEQB&psc=1

I need to know what sprinkler heads will fit my requirements and my small/narrow/long shaped front yard and (regularly shaped) backyard.

I'm struggling with the sprinkler heads because I don't know if i can daisy chain them, and one that meets the angle/spray requirements I need.

See attached photos here:
https://imgur.com/Zwgi7Wy
https://imgur.com/PFFphog

Any suggestions?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1668 posts
674 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You need to know the psi at your hose bib and the size pipe supplying it. Then you need to look at the specs for the different brand of sprinkler heads. Based on the pressure supplied to them they will list the gpm and distance of throw for the different nozzles available for that sprinkler.
You want the coverage to be head to head meaning you want them spaced so the tip of the throw from one sprinkler hits the head of the next sprinkler.
2 zones might not be enough for the front and backyard depending on how many heads required and the size of the water supply to your hose bib
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4844 posts
1597 upvotes
Paris
Agree with above. One of the things I learned was to use 1” pipe which made no sense going from 1/2” supply to 1” and how that would increase pressure. My brother has a mechanical PEng and is daily involved with fluid dynamics and I tuned out after 10 seconds.

There is a place in Burlington you need to buy your stuff from. It’s where the pros go and you get double the quality of rotary heads etc for half the price of a box store.

Edit: irrigationdirect.ca
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4844 posts
1597 upvotes
Paris
Also, I had the single valve version of what you posted before I was done. It lasted about 3 years. The sun does a number on the plastic. You are better off with a 4-8 zone timer and doing it right. Run a pipe to a tee in the front yard with wires to control the valves. It’s less digging as chances are good you need a grass zone, maybe an avenue zone (better buried with drip pipe) and a front garden zone.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jan 18, 2009
58 posts
28 upvotes
oakville
It is in Oakville on Spears Road not in Burlington.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7356 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
What's a good resource to learn about and get tips on installing a sprinkler system? I'm tired of dragging hoses around my browning lawn trying to get it watered, and my backyard faces west where the sun roasts the top of my hill to the house and the garden along the back of the house. After a few weeks of nightly waterings, I'm tired and just want to automate it.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4844 posts
1597 upvotes
Paris
psfl wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 10:47 am
It is in Oakville on Spears Road not in Burlington.
I saw that. I haven’t shopped there in quite a while. Last stuff I bought was a watering system for our dock.

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4844 posts
1597 upvotes
Paris
Drew_W wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 11:22 am
What's a good resource to learn about and get tips on installing a sprinkler system? I'm tired of dragging hoses around my browning lawn trying to get it watered, and my backyard faces west where the sun roasts the top of my hill to the house and the garden along the back of the house. After a few weeks of nightly waterings, I'm tired and just want to automate it.
I used the rain bird and orbit online and downloadable tools though I think they are on crack for how many heads and zones I should have had.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)