Need help setting up a cell phone plan for a trip to Germany

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 11:41 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
26263 posts
5362 upvotes

Need help setting up a cell phone plan for a trip to Germany

I'm planning a trip to Germany (Munich, Cologne) and I'm totally lost as to what I'm going to do when it comes to my cell phone. I need something that has at least 2GB of highspeed data, and decent coverage in those areas. As someone who doesn't speak German, how and where do I pickup a SIM and get my plan activated?
Don't talk about it, be about it
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8237 posts
1280 upvotes
have you tried your telecom company? or are you concerned mainly with price?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8237 posts
1280 upvotes
telus for example,

150$

1.5 GB of data
unlimited texts
200 phone minutes

or 10$ a day to use your existing plan.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
26263 posts
5362 upvotes
I'm in between providers and I'm not sure if they offer an international package. more importantly I was assuming I could get a cheaper plan in-country.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2004
2022 posts
161 upvotes
Bern, Switzerland / …
Just pick up any pre-paid when you arrive. Available at any supermarket chain. You just need to activate it online.

e.g. Blau will only cost you 20 EUR for 2 gig LTE/4G.
Jan 17, 2017
52 posts
29 upvotes
Just a note that you can download offline maps and some places will have free WIFI (hotel or cafes). You might be able to avoid needing a data plan depending on what you want to use.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2369 posts
541 upvotes
Montreal
First off don't panic :)

Make sure your cellphone is unlocked, that way you'll be able to buy a cheap German prepaid SIM card at the airport and use it right away.

If you're going to multiple European countries you should purchase a SIM card online that will give you a few GB of data in the EU. (Eliminating the need to purchase multiple SIMs.)
Jan 8, 2009
626 posts
274 upvotes
GTA
MrDisco wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:15 pm
I'm in between providers and I'm not sure if they offer an international package. more importantly I was assuming I could get a cheaper plan in-country.
O2 has a number of really good prepaid options here: https://www.o2online.de/tarife/prepaid-tarife/ and all their plans are good for a month

You should be able to top any of those up online and if you go into a shop in a major city, there is almost guaranteed to be someone who speaks enough English to help you out.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
26263 posts
5362 upvotes
Aristophanes wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 4:53 am
Just pick up any pre-paid when you arrive. Available at any supermarket chain. You just need to activate it online.

e.g. Blau will only cost you 20 EUR for 2 gig LTE/4G.
that's exactly what i need.
Soty613 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 7:01 am
Just a note that you can download offline maps and some places will have free WIFI (hotel or cafes). You might be able to avoid needing a data plan depending on what you want to use.
that's true. i'm more of a nervous traveler and get lost easily so i want the comfort of having net access no matter where i am.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
26263 posts
5362 upvotes
kenze wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 7:11 am
Make sure your cellphone is unlocked, that way you'll be able to buy a cheap German prepaid SIM card at the airport and use it right away.

If you're going to multiple European countries you should purchase a SIM card online that will give you a few GB of data in the EU. (Eliminating the need to purchase multiple SIMs.)
yep phone is unlocked and i'm pretty sure has all the bands needed to support lte in europe.

i'm only going to be in germany so i'm not too concerned with europe coverage.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
26263 posts
5362 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:32 am
O2 has a number of really good prepaid options here: https://www.o2online.de/tarife/prepaid-tarife/ and all their plans are good for a month

You should be able to top any of those up online and if you go into a shop in a major city, there is almost guaranteed to be someone who speaks enough English to help you out.
thanks. 1GB should be ok for 3weeks. i'll need to figure out how to get a sim and get it activated as soon as a i arrive
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3577 posts
631 upvotes
Alberta
Cellphone kiosk/store at the airport or any store/mall will sell you a SIM and activate it for you. Just don't lose your original SIM when you remove it.
Jan 8, 2009
626 posts
274 upvotes
GTA
MrDisco wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 10:48 pm
thanks. 1GB should be ok for 3weeks. i'll need to figure out how to get a sim and get it activated as soon as a i arrive
Which airport will you be flying into and do you know where you'll be staying? If you put in the postal code in the top left here and the address in the box below OR put the airport in the box to the right on the upper level, you'll get the closest 02 shop: https://www.o2online.de/meta/shopfinder/

Oh! And if you have a twitter account, you can apparently tweet them @ https://twitter.com/o2de in english and they'll provide a fairly rapid response in english (have not tried this but my friends tell me it'll work)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
rocking23nf wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 2:52 pm
telus for example,

150$

1.5 GB of data
unlimited texts
200 phone minutes

or 10$ a day to use your existing plan.
Planning our trips this year and learned that even though Rogers is heavily promoting this $5-$10 a day to roam while abroad and using your existing at home plan, it only applies to all of their "new" plans as of late that are on 2 year contracts re: inflated up the wazoo plans because the government made them stop getting people to sign up for 3 year plans, you know, those plans where it's like $60 for 500MB of data.. lol

We're on grandfathered plans that are no longer offerered anywhere and do not qualify for this roam for $5 a day option to use our own existing plan abroad. It's $1.50 a minute to call, $5 for 50MB data, $0.75 a text, all while roaming. God I hate Canada's telecommunications industry.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
26263 posts
5362 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 11:58 pm
Which airport will you be flying into and do you know where you'll be staying? If you put in the postal code in the top left here and the address in the box below OR put the airport in the box to the right on the upper level, you'll get the closest 02 shop: https://www.o2online.de/meta/shopfinder/

Oh! And if you have a twitter account, you can apparently tweet them @ https://twitter.com/o2de in english and they'll provide a fairly rapid response in english (have not tried this but my friends tell me it'll work)
Flying into Munich but I'm not sure where I'll be staying just yet.

Thanks for the twitter tip I'll tweet them and see what they can advise