Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3480 posts
119 upvotes
Cochrane

Need help setting up wireless router with Shaw cable

The shaw modem is directly linked to the desktop right now. Everything is set on the modem automatically DHCP.

I have two laptops I want to setup internet for as well, so I went out and bought a Linksys wireless router. The network cable from the modem is now connected to the internet port on the router. The desktop cable connected to router port #1.

I called Shaw and they said I don't need a PPOE username/password as I would in a DSL config and just set everything to DHCP on the router. I did as they said, yet internet still doesn't work?

Should I manually point the laptops to the router 192.168.1.1 as the DNS and DHCP? Or use the public IP provided for DNS? With DSL all computers point to the router, and the router points to the external DNS and everything works fine. With Cable I don't know what the hell is going on.

Help please. TIA.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
1 reply
Mar 27, 2005
381 posts
14 upvotes
Check the router's status to see if it obtained a "normal" IP. If not then you might need to do a MAC address clone: give it the same MAC address as the NIC in the computer that was previously directly connected to the modem.
× < >