• Apr 10th, 2005 6:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
question about a Vehicle Permit.. does a photocopied Vehicle Permit has to be doubled sided?? cuz I got a ticket for a failed to supply Vehicle Permit.. witch i did,, cop busted me.. saying its not vailded cuz its single sided copy..

is there any where on the internet to look what that law is?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
akito925 wrote:question about a Vehicle Permit.. does a photocopied Vehicle Permit has to be doubled sided?? cuz I got a ticket for a failed to supply Vehicle Permit.. witch i did,, cop busted me.. saying its not vailded cuz its single sided copy..

is there any where on the internet to look what that law is?
The law is here .
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3830 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:You are a drain because you are knowingly going to court, and fighting a ticket for which you know you are guilty of. You are just trying to weasel out of it - don't you think the courts have better things to do?

Your rates would get raised because it is a reasonable assumption that a driver who gets speeding tickets frequently is a higher risk driver than one who doesn't. I know here most ins. companies will throw out your first ticket, other people in Ontario who have posted in these threads before said they've had the same treatment.

I wouldn't be posting this if you were stating that you weren't speeding - but it's obvious now that you were.

Perhaps you should grow up and become a man?

TREVORK STFU ... ure one of the ppl who killed my thread and now you are doing it again! buzz off! he made the thread to help the situation ... and im sure u always go the designated speed limit! hipocrite! your endless rants are disturbing and pointless so please do RFD a favour and go away! Maybe there is more to this case then you think? maybe he has other issues to deal with?

Places where ppl always go 20+ the speed limit that i have witnessed ... steeles ave, Hwy 404, Hwy 7 and yonge street .. the odd times not

and whats more "grown up" then being a man and fighting the case? goin to court and appealing something you beleive unworthy of that offence?

mk316 don't listen to this hipocrite ... do what you feel necessary ...and other members try and help they guy, not make the situation worse! Im sure he would appreciate and you too for doing something worthwhile.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
flame02 wrote:TREVORK STFU ... ure one of the ppl who killed my thread and now you are doing it again! buzz off! he made the thread to help the situation ... and im sure u always go the designated speed limit! hipocrite! your endless rants are disturbing and pointless so please do RFD a favour and go away! Maybe there is more to this case then you think? maybe he has other issues to deal with?
[/b]

So he can freely break the rules of the road because he has something "to deal with"? The excuses keep getting worse

and whats more "grown up" then being a man and fighting the case? goin to court and appealing something you beleive unworthy of that offence?

He knew the consequences of speeding.
He was caught speeding.
He doesn't deny he was speeding.

Yet he feels the need to go to court and convince the legal system that he was not speeding? It's dishonest and childish.

What's wrong with accepting the results of your actions? You keep wanting to shy away from this responsibility...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2004
1040 posts
All tickets should be fought.
the money that is wasted in the PD is unreal. lets put them in the courtroom so thay dont have to sit at tims.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
anyone recommend any services that fight tickets that you guys used?

have anyone used www.torontotraffictickets.com

they say they can elimated your ticket completely.. thats what I want..

I got a ticket.. and I was just going with the flow of traffic.. 120km in a 100km highway.

anyone recommend any paralegal in the hamilton area?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Oct 17, 2004
839 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
flame02 wrote:TREVORK STFU ... ure one of the ppl who killed my thread and now you are doing it again! buzz off! he made the thread to help the situation ... and im sure u always go the designated speed limit! hipocrite! your endless rants are disturbing and pointless so please do RFD a favour and go away! Maybe there is more to this case then you think? maybe he has other issues to deal with?

Places where ppl always go 20+ the speed limit that i have witnessed ... steeles ave, Hwy 404, Hwy 7 and yonge street .. the odd times not

mk316 don't listen to this hipocrite ... do what you feel necessary ...and other members try and help they guy, not make the situation worse! Im sure he would appreciate and you too for doing something worthwhile.
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate someone who actually notices the point of a thread. I needed help so I asked for it. I was never gonna listen to that moron and anyone who does listen to him is not doing themselves any favours. I plan to go myself and see what I can do. If anyone has had experiences please continue to post about what happens in the court when you arrive or whatever.

Thanks again guys.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
mk316 wrote:Thanks for your comments. I appreciate someone who actually notices the point of a thread. I needed help so I asked for it. I was never gonna listen to that moron and anyone who does listen to him is not doing themselves any favours. I plan to go myself and see what I can do. If anyone has had experiences please continue to post about what happens in the court when you arrive or whatever.

Thanks again guys.
Good luck defrauding the legal system!
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3830 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:Good luck defrauding the legal system!
defrauding? do you have any idea what police corruption is? oh and this is WAY more costly to the legal system then a traffic offence ... you fail to prove you point by stating a 19 over speeding ticket it "fraud" once appealed ... choose better words please!

Your comments ... IMO... are hilarious in the fact that they are un-educated and rediculus! ... yet ... you seem to persist your rants! You want to see fraud, go and see an officer beat the living CRUD out of a 15 year old because he is holding a knife to cut his food with! This happens everywhere! yet a speeding ticket at full is unjustified because if one were to go 10 over, would they get a ticket?? NO! so whats fair is a 9 over ticket at the MOST.
Jan 15, 2002
660 posts
Calgary
mk316: I'm not gonna post anything regarding your situation. I only posted my above statements and previous ones to correct some of the invalid arguments concerning speed in the thread.
flame02 wrote:defrauding? do you have any idea what police corruption is? oh and this is WAY more costly to the legal system then a traffic offence ...

Wonderful, :) Society as a whole shouldn't have morals because police corruption is so rampant. I remember reading a thread about you being in eng (correct me if I'm wrong). Have you taken an discrete mathematic course yet or an ethics course for that matter...
You want to see fraud, go and see an officer beat the living CRUD out of a 15 year old because he is holding a knife to cut his food with! This happens everywhere!
How is this an example of fraud? Also you make this statement as if its happening all the time. Could you kindly point me to some examples of these incidents.
Refs: Heat 92-0-0 ; Ebay 25-0-0

Please trade safe, Sign up and use Heatware
I do not use paypal.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
flame02 wrote:defrauding? do you have any idea what police corruption is? oh and this is WAY more costly to the legal system then a traffic offence ... you fail to prove you point by stating a 19 over speeding ticket it "fraud" once appealed ... choose better words please! [/b]
And what does that have to do with what the poster is doing?

Nothing.

It doesn't change the fact that he is guilty, yet is willing to stand in front of a court to proclaim his innocence.

Your comments ... IMO... are hilarious in the fact that they are un-educated and rediculus! ... yet ... you seem to persist your rants! You want to see fraud, go and see an officer beat the living CRUD out of a 15 year old because he is holding a knife to cut his food with! This happens everywhere! yet a speeding ticket at full is unjustified because if one were to go 10 over, would they get a ticket?? NO! so whats fair is a 9 over ticket at the MOST.

Uneducated? That's a laugh.

Your logic makes no sense - you really need to sit down and think.

Why does the officer give you a break for the first 10KM? Is it because their equipment is 20% inaccurate (As in this example, where the poster was in a 50KM/H zone, and they usually don't ticket until 60KM+/h)? Do you really believe that?
Dec 23, 2001
927 posts
125 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:In Alberta that's not enough to get you off - it's just a minor detail.

As for your ticket - were you going with the flow of traffic or were there many people speeding by you (So your reading could have possibly been the wrong car)?

As well, you appear to have a newer car - do you have a different sized set of tires that would throw your speedo off?
I did a little research, and in Ontario it isn't either. I was... hrmm. Actually I kinda jumped out ahead of traffic after a stop light. There was one guy in front of me, he merged to the right lane and I had to do the same because my exit was coming up. So I sped up a little to get in front of him as there was no room to merge directly beside me. I later managed to talk to the guy I was trying to get in front of, and apparently he was going over the speedlimit as well. No wonder I had to go that much faster to get over.

You bring up a very interesting point. I do have massive all season tires on my car (look more like truck tires) that I'm sure are bigger than the original tires. I think I will explore that idea.

In the meantime, I am waiting for a mailing which is supposed to include the date for my first attendence meeting. They're apparently booked until late April, so I have a bit of time to prepare a case.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here. IMHO any advise given here may help someone else as well.
Heat: 159-0-0
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Hippak wrote:mk316: I'm not gonna post anything regarding your situation. I only posted my above statements and previous ones to correct some of the invalid arguments concerning speed in the thread.

Wonderful, :) Society as a whole shouldn't have morals because police corruption is so rampant. I remember reading a thread about you being in eng (correct me if I'm wrong). Have you taken an discrete mathematic course yet or an ethics course for that matter...

How is this an example of fraud? Also you make this statement as if its happening all the time. Could you kindly point me to some examples of these incidents.
you havent corrected anything regarding speed on highways and safety. You said the speedlimit decreased in the past and the next year fatalities declined, correlation is not causation.. any student in post secondary education should know that, especially if you are an engineering student.

you did not mention/find out any other changes that could've contributed to decline in fatalities.

your energy and speed rant is great except it doesnt mean anything for speed limits. sure 130km/h and 100km/h there is difference in the energy in a collison but unless you hit a brickwall on the highway its a moot point.

i can use that argument to say that since most people travel at 120km/h, if i travel at 100 km/h and we collide there is 20km/h of energy to absorb but if i was going 130, its only 10km/h that is transferred

lastly you as an engineering student dont know what the speed limit should be on roads... fine, so does that mean if an engineering student doesnt know something, a politican is better qualified to judge what the speed limit should be?

maybe next time i dont know how to solve a calculus equation i pass it on to the garbageman to do it, thats same as you saying engineering students dont know what speed limit should be so lets let politicans decide.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
Invincible wrote:You bring up a very interesting point. I do have massive all season tires on my car (look more like truck tires) that I'm sure are bigger than the original tires. I think I will explore that idea.
When I bought a car the owner put on low profile 14" tires which threw the speedo off by ~10% - so tire size will definetely make a difference.

You should be able to call around and find someone who is able to calibrate your speedo, or at least tell you how much you're off.

If you have a friend with an almost new car (Who hasn't modified the tires) get them to drive beside you, call each other and see what speeds you each get.

<Note - only do this on a road that is dead quiet with no one around>
Jan 15, 2002
660 posts
Calgary
gilboman wrote:
i can use that argument to say that since most people travel at 120km/h, if i travel at 100 km/h and we collide there is 20km/h of energy to absorb but if i was going 130, its only 10km/h that is transferred
Do you really believe that accidents where fatalities occur only happen in these types of circumstances? Can anyone here post if they've been in an accident where they were travelling at 100km/h and someone hit them at 120km/h and they were severaly injured? Often fatalities that take place involve stationary vehicles and or vehicles that could not stop in time. Also they involve cars which lost control at higher speeds. So my reasoning still stands.

I ask again can you honestly tell me that you'd like a 18 wheeler travelling at 120km/h right behind you on the highway?

lastly you as an engineering student dont know what the speed limit should be on roads... fine, so does that mean if an engineering student doesnt know something, a politican is better qualified to judge what the speed limit should be?

maybe next time i dont know how to solve a calculus equation i pass it on to the garbageman to do it, thats same as you saying engineering students dont know what speed limit should be so lets let politicans decide.
Can you tell me what type of engineer learns about human physiology and the limits and types of forces a human body can withstand. I wasn't aware that a civil engineering degree required this type of knowledge /sarcasm

And again. If you really think that a politician sits down and decides hey I guess the roads should be this speed limit without any research then there's really not point in contesting that type of thinking. Infact if you really think that is the case then why would you trust anything. The food labels in canada may have been arbitrarily decided by some politician, are you gonna trust that you're getting everything your body needs?

You chose not to answer my points about reaction time, stoping distance, safety limits in cars and congestion on the road. Like the previous poster who said that I dont know anything about speeding or what i'm talking about you chose to ignore all these points. Way to go! :)
Refs: Heat 92-0-0 ; Ebay 25-0-0

Please trade safe, Sign up and use Heatware
I do not use paypal.
Mar 11, 2005
3 posts
This message thread and the http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/ website have helped me a lot in regard to what to expect, which is great.

Just for reference.. if you change your court date I was told you have to go in and fill out a form in person.

For the disclosure letter posted... or people who have mailed disclosure letters, do you address it to the court house that sent the "Notice of Trial"?
Also I'm not sure where I am supposed to send a public records request. If no one can help me with this, I suppose that I will just end up phoning the court and asking them...

Also, I'm not very clear on people's replys with "approach the Prosecutor" or "Prosecutor will call you over and start offering plea bargains to most people with no prior history." So.. do you go to them, or do they call you? Is this BEFORE the trial time on the "notice of trial"?

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
michelb wrote:Does anyone have any experience fighting tickets in Quebec?

From experience, I know that they will NOT let you off if the officer doesn't show up (in fact it makes it much worse; when it happened to me the judge made it very clear that since the officer wasn't there to defend himself, there was no way he take my word over the notes the officer left so there was nothing I could argue (and if there was ever a case with holes, it was this one (long sob story coming up): Quebec).

Let me know,
Mike
in Ontario, THEY WILL LET YOU OFF. It has recently happened to me. To the guy who is fighting the ticket, just PM me for more info. Stop listening to people who are telling you to go to paralegals or pay it up. Its a minor ticket which you can fight easily. There isn't a lower change than yours for speeding.

In the mean time, do send a registered letter asking for disclosure.
Mar 11, 2005
3 posts
When I phoned and talked to them at the court house, the answers to my questions were this:

1. disclosure letter was sent to the court house.

2. in order to find out where to send my public records request I have to call some police station number... where I have to call also in order to find out the officers name, since I can't read it on the ticket.

3. maybe people talk to the procesutor on the court date before the trial, but the person I talked to said I talk to them on the phone before ever going in court, and they will look at my record and talk to the officer to see if I behaved myself when pulled over and stuff like that, and of course "anything you say can and will be used against you" in court if you are unable to settle before your court date.
Mar 11, 2005
3 posts
Ok, here is the update.

I had to phone the court house for the information. The disclosure was mailed to the court house by xpresspost (so it was "registered"). I did not recieve my disclosure before the court date. As for the public records request, they forwarded my call a couple times and I ended up with an address for the Police Service with Attn: Freedom of Information Act. I did not bother to send that one in as it has to be mailed 30 days in advance, with a $5 application fee.

When I called the court house and asked them about talking to the prosecuter on the day of the trial to reach a "settlement", they said that it has to be done before hand. She asked me for my court room number and then gave me the name and phone number of the prosecutor. I called and got an answering machine, but also located his e-mail address on the internet. I shot off an email to him telling him my story... the circumstances and why I wanted the charge reduced.. without admitting to anything in my email. He phoned, confirmed that this was my first offense..and some other details... talked to the officer... and then offered me a reduced charge. I still had to go to the court house, and I did not see him call anyone up and offer them any deal. I did not stick around to see how the rest of the cases proceeded... although it would have been a little interesting, I was just happy to get the reduced fine and wanted to get out of there and do other things... anyway... I talked to him for a second before the judge came in, and he said to just plead guilty to the reduced charge, so after a while of going over other rescheduling and such things, and some other people were called up for things (not actual trials), then I was called up and the prosecutor said they wanted to change the charge to whatever, and would I plead guilty giving up my right to a trial and I said yes and thank you... ok.. I stumbled through saying "your magesty" once, as it felt really weird cause I come from a religious past.

Anyway, for people in Ottawa like me who may not be aware of it... the new Ottawa court house building is right behind the baseline transitway (ie bus 95). It's basically the transitway stop, a fence, a path, another fence, a large parking lot and then the building. Towards the north there is a "break" in the fences where you can walk through to the parking lot. However, I'm sure most people would be driving to the courthouse... just that usually I DON'T have a car.

Anyway... this thread and fyst were just really helpful so that I somewhat knew what to expect and what to do... if not for either of them, I would not have had any idea to contact the prosecutor before hand, request disclosure etc, and I really don't know what I would have done... probably looked stupid in court. :| They need to have more helpful information on the net.

Anyway, I hope that might be a little helpful to others. I just recommend that you call up the court house as soon as you get your notice, and ask them for the information with where to send the disclosure, public records request, and how to contact the prosecutor... I waited longer than I should have.