• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 8:54 am
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa

Need Help Travelling from Ottawa to Washington/Virginia

So I will be traveling on the weekday to the US. Which way would I go. Do I just use Google maps. Also I plan on going to Niagara Falls and staying 1 night there. Should I go on my way to the US or when I come back to Canada to go to Niagara Falls. Anything else I must know. I just bought a Roam Sim card from Amazon so hopefully data works for my GPS. There will be 4 of us and all drivers.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
NF is a huge detour between Ottawa and Washington DC. (4.5 hrs extra driving)

Cant you go to NF on a different trip?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote: NF is a huge detour between Ottawa and Washington DC. (4.5 hrs extra driving)

Cant you go to NF on a different trip?
We have never driven to the USA before so it is our first time. However 1 person in our group is visiting Canada and has never been to Niagara Falls. So we said that we will spend first day and night in Niagara Falls. Then in the morning head out for Washington/Virginia area. I just don't know whee we should stop for rest if any during our trip from Niagara Falls to Washington.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Y'all need to look at a map!

Ottawa to Niagara Falls is approximately 600 Kms in a SOUTHWEST Direction. And will take ya approximately 6 Hours or more to get there, no matter if you drive thru Canada (via Toronto & Hamilton) or if you go via the USA (Syracuse & Buffalo). One could EASILY spend an entire weekend just exploring this part of Southwestern Ontario (NF - Niagara on the Lake - Niagara Wine Country) not to mention perhaps an overnight or two in either Buffalo or Syracuse for some decent shopping before crossing back into Canada.

Ottawa to Washington DC is approximately 1000 Kms pretty much directly SOUTH of Ottawa... Essentially the OPPOSITE DIRECTION to NF. And a very long days drive (10 hours or more... Depending on traffic... And there most definitely is TRAFFIC once you get into the area that spans out from the US Capitol City into Virginia & Maryland). So much so that many Travellers opt to leave their cars in the outskirts & train in, as you won't need a car in the city... And parking is CRAZY EXPENSIVE (lots of Hotels charge $ 50 US per night)

My best advice... Do separate trips. As Washington is so far away, save it for a long weekend. Washington is a good destination year round, but especially so Spring or Fall (Summer is über hot & humid in Washington)

NF is good year round too. But shines best May thru October when all the water attractions are open to get up close & personal with the falls (you will get wet). You want to see The Falls & attractions on both sides of the River / Border... But ones in Canada are nicer.

Personally, if you have to go now, I'd say head to Niagara Falls... You can drive either way, or do one side going and the other coming back... Distance is the same, time is a bit shorter thru USA cause you avoid Toronto's Traffic. US side offers up cheaper gas. If you plan your crossings & accommodations smartly (min 24 Hours in USA) you can certainly also take advantage of your Cdn Customs Personal Exemptions on any shopping you do ($ 200 = 24 Hours or more OR $ 800 = 48 Hours or more)

CBSA Website with US Travel Info
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/menu-eng.html

NOTE - The trick to all this is planning out your time in America... As ONLY your last presence is when the clock starts ticking on your time for Personal Exemption. So drive to NF Canada first, then NF USA... Then home from there via Buffalo & Syracuse. And do all your shopping in that last visit's timeframe.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Y'all need to look at a map!

Ottawa to Niagara Falls is approximately 600 Kms in a SOUTHWEST Direction. And will take ya approximately 6 Hours or more to get there, no matter if you drive thru Canada (via Toronto & Hamilton) or if you go via the USA (Syracuse & Buffalo). One could EASILY spend an entire weekend just exploring this part of Southwestern Ontario (NF - Niagara on the Lake - Niagara Wine Country) not to mention perhaps an overnight or two in either Buffalo or Syracuse for some decent shopping before crossing back into Canada.

Ottawa to Washington DC is approximately 1000 Kms pretty much directly SOUTH of Ottawa... Essentially the OPPOSITE DIRECTION to NF. And a very long days drive (10 hours or more... Depending on traffic... And there most definitely is TRAFFIC once you get into the area that spans out from the US Capitol City into Virginia & Maryland). So much so that many Travellers opt to leave their cars in the outskirts & train in, as you won't need a car in the city... And parking is CRAZY EXPENSIVE (lots of Hotels charge $ 50 US per night)

My best advice... Do separate trips. As Washington is so far away, save it for a long weekend. Washington is a good destination year round, but especially so Spring or Fall (Summer is über hot & humid in Washington)

NF is good year round too. But shines best May thru October when all the water attractions are open to get up close & personal with the falls (you will get wet). You want to see The Falls & attractions on both sides of the River / Border... But ones in Canada are nicer.

Personally, if you have to go now, I'd say head to Niagara Falls... You can drive either way, or do one side going and the other coming back... Distance is the same, time is a bit shorter thru USA cause you avoid Toronto's Traffic. US side offers up cheaper gas. If you plan your crossings & accommodations smartly (min 24 Hours in USA) you can certainly also take advantage of your Cdn Customs Personal Exemptions on any shopping you do ($ 200 = 24 Hours or more OR $ 800 = 48 Hours or more)

CBSA Website with US Travel Info
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/menu-eng.html

NOTE - The trick to all this is planning out your time in America... As ONLY your last presence is when the clock starts ticking on your time for Personal Exemption. So drive to NF Canada first, then NF USA... Then home from there via Buffalo & Syracuse. And do all your shopping in that last visit's timeframe.
Thanks for the explanation. I forgot to mention that we will be visiting relatives in Virginia so there is no hotel, food, or parking cost I believe. Its just that we wont be able to leave Ottawa until 10:30 or 11am. We will be spending somewhere between 4-6 days in Virginia before coming back home to Ottawa. Do you suggest not going to Niagara Falls at all? If so which way should we go to reach Virginia and where should we stop along the way?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
masoud100 wrote: We have never driven to the USA before so it is our first time. However 1 person in our group is visiting Canada and has never been to Niagara Falls. So we said that we will spend first day and night in Niagara Falls. Then in the morning head out for Washington/Virginia area. I just don't know whee we should stop for rest if any during our trip from Niagara Falls to Washington.
Ok, I now understand your reasoning... Still think it is far too much for just a regular weekend.

If you have to choose, I say go to NF over Washingon, as Mother Nature "trumps" a city (and a political one at that) hands down every time.

Besides "the falls" lots of good stuff you could add onto a trip to NF from Ottawa (Kingston - Toronto - Niagara Wine Country - War of 1812 - Buffalo - Erie Canal - Syracuse - 1000 Islands)... All quite representative of our unique shared Geography & History and the longest friendliest border in the world.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
masoud100 wrote: Thanks for the explanation. I forgot to mention that we will be visiting relatives in Virginia so there is no hotel, food, or parking cost I believe. Its just that we wont be able to leave Ottawa until 10:30 or 11am. We will be spending somewhere between 4-6 days in Virginia before coming back home to Ottawa. Do you suggest not going to Niagara Falls at all? If so which way should we go to reach Virginia and where should we stop along the way?
In this case, it is not just a trip over a weekend... So ya I suppose you could do both NF & Washington.

NF first means a higher chance of better / warmer weather (Nov is like I said not an ideal month... So soooner better than later)

Best Route to DC & VA .... is 416 to the 401. Cross into America via the 1000 Islands Bridge... That will put you onto Interstate 81, which heads south... Right thru Virginia. If you tell me where in VA, I can certainly tell you where it best to leave I-81.

If you go to NF, your hook up from NF USA to I-81, is Interstate 90 (NY State Thruway) that runs Syracuse to Buffalo, and back.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
If leaving Ottawa at 11AM, I would do NF first as that's about only 6 hrs driving.

NF to DC via I90/I79 Pittsburgh, I76 Pennsylvania Turnpike/I70 is 8hrs so 1 day drive, all interstate (toll)

This way, the day with the late start has the shortest drive. You can then start early for DC and have a full day.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
l69norm wrote: If leaving Ottawa at 11AM, I would do NF first as that's about only 6 hrs driving.

NF to DC via I90/I79 Pittsburgh, I76 Pennsylvania Turnpike/I70 is 8hrs so 1 day drive, all interstate (toll)

This way, the day with the late start has the shortest drive. You can then start early for DC and have a full day.
Agreed, I'd do NF day one, hopefully get there with a little daylight (maybe not with the time change). If OP has GPS though (car nav, phone, etc), I'd take US-219 from Buffalo south to I-80 and I-99. The Pittsburgh route is all interstate, but adds some time, more tolls, and a lot of distance.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
I thought the problem with US219 was lots of speed enforcement ?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: I thought the problem with US219 was lots of speed enforcement ?
YES. As someone who got a ticket sricinf along it down to Tennessee .... you won't be speeding as they're out in full force hiding under bridges with a radar gun and in unmarked cars, and they loooove out of state plates.
I'd also add on at least 2 hours for traffic overflow and delays.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote: If leaving Ottawa at 11AM, I would do NF first as that's about only 6 hrs driving.

So we have decided to stay at Niagara Falls and then on Friday travel to Clifton, Virginia. I looked at Google maps for directions but unfortunately I can't match the directions with what you guys are replying on this forum. I will be traveling from Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls, ON to Clifton, Virginia. Is anyone able to provide an itinerary for me? Also any good places to stop on the way similar to the ON routes we got in Ontario, etc.

Also what am I supposed to bring with me besides my passport? Do I have to pay when crossing the border and if so how much. Do they accept Canadian cash, credit card, debit card? Regarding the toll route someone mentioned do I not have to pay for tolls and if so is it the better choice when going to Virginia. How do you pay for tolls. Never used a toll before.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
3 possible routes, last one is all interstate. Interstate has services at most interchanges , travel plaza = onroute + rest stops.

I390 us15   7hrs 17min 718 km https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Clifton+ ... 801142!3e0

Us219 7hrs 13min 675km https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Clifton+ ... 801142!3e0

I79/I76 7hrs 22min  792 km https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Clifton+ ... 801142!3e0

US cash to pay tolls, watch the signs as you approach the toll booth. Look for the "cash" lane
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Agreed, US cash is best for tolls (I mean, you ~could~ get an E-Z Pass tag but it doesn't sound like you'll be doing this often). The toll roads you're dealing with are the NY State Thruway (I-90) and the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) if you take that route. There's either spots where everyone has to pay a toll (cash lanes typically to the right while E-Z pass lanes keep moving to the left) or spots on I-90 where you pay when you exit.

Tolls "at the border" don't have anything to do with the actual border crossing process; you're paying a toll to cross a bridge, including the Thousand Islands Bridge if you go the I-81 to I-90 route (it's about USD $3.25 or CAD $3.75), and the various Niagara-region bridges. Those are international crossings, so they generally have rates posted for either USD cash or CAD cash, unlike the Thruway and Turnpike tolls where they'll only take Canadian currency under duress. The actual border crossing process (talking to a US Customs & Border Protection agent stating the purpose of your trip and making any declarations necessary) doesn't involve any costs for Canadians. Your non-Canadian visitor may need some sort of temporary visa though if they don't otherwise have US status.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Looks like we now have additional info from you, so that slightly changes things from my perspective.

1- Clearly you have enough time to do BOTH a trip to Niagara Falls combined with a visit to the relatives in Virginia.

2- Reply # 13 above from @l69norm has excellent info on routing... But, as someone who travels to / thru the Washington DC outlying area often I make the following suggestions:

Route 1 shown combining I-90 & I-390 along with Hwy 15 is your best bet. BUT I would change it at the Washington Area end, and just stick with Hwy 15 until you meet up with I-66 heading eastbound towards Clifton (so Hwy 15 south from Frederick to I-66 East)

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THE WASHINGTON BELTLINES (the Expressways that circle Washington DC) traffic there is horrendous. So in the map 1 above, skip out at Frederick and stick with Hwy 15... Do not go I-270 to I-495.

You are much better off approaching Clifton from the WEST than you will be from the NORTH OR EAST (not uncommon to be stuck on the DC Beltlines for HOURS). STAY AWAY

The other Routes that go west out of Buffalo, have their own headaches... Especially so anything that heads towards Pittsburg.

Only the Easterly Routes skirt around major US Seaboard cities by utilizing Hwy 15 (coming from Eastern Ontario, and not Niagara our route is always 416 - 401 - I-81 - 15 when heading this way / or to points south).

3- As covered by @Mike15 there are tolls for any of the International Bridges (that includes the one at 1000 Islands, and all the ones around Niagara). Fees are posted in Cdn / US Currency, you can pay in whichever... But it must ONLY be in one currency (so you can't mix in Cdn Coins & US Coins)

4- I-90 the NY State Thruway is a toll Interstate. When you enter the hwy you get a ticket at a tool booth, when you leave the hwy an attendant at a toll booth takes the ticket & tells you how much you owe... IN US CURRENCY. Don't even think about using Cdn Currency anywhere once you are in America. The ticket shows a list printed on it of how much it costs to go from where you got on to all the exits. If you know your exit number you will know how much you owe when you get there... My best advice, give the ticket to a designated passenger to figure out, and prep payment (driver doesn't need to worry about this). Also then you KNOW where the ticket is... Cause if you don't hand it in when you exit... The Thruway Attendant will charge you full fare from one end of the Thruway to the other!!!

5- Crossing the Border. If you are a Cdn Citizen, it's easy. If anyone in your party is not, then it is far more complicated. And some visitors will need to get paperwork done to enter (be that a Visa or a Visa Waiver)... Depends on WHAT COUNTRY their Passport is from. In either case, they will be sent to Secondary Inspection at the Border (so in this case I recommend you cross the Border as few times as possible... If going to NF get there via Canada / Toronto & Hamilton).

If your Vsitor qualifies for a Visa Waiver the process is relatively easy (form to fill out - fingerprinting - pay fee)... BUT if they are from a country that is not on the Waiver List, then they need to have applied for a Visa MONTHS in advance of their trip.

For more info see the US Border Services Website
https://www.cbp.gov/
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Looks like we now have additional info from you, so that slightly changes things from my perspective.

1- Clearly you have enough time to do BOTH a trip to Niagara Falls combined with a visit to the relatives in Virginia.

2- Reply # 13 above from @l69norm has excellent info on routing... But, as someone who travels to / thru the Washington DC outlying area often I make the following suggestions:

Route 1 shown combining I-90 & I-390 along with Hwy 15 is your best bet. BUT I would change it at the Washington Area end, and just stick with Hwy 15 until you meet up with I-66 heading eastbound towards Clifton (so Hwy 15 south from Frederick to I-66 East)

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THE WASHINGTON BELTLINES (the Expressways that circle Washington DC) traffic there is horrendous. So in the map 1 above, skip out at Frederick and stick with Hwy 15... Do not go I-270 to I-495.

You are much better off approaching Clifton from the WEST than you will be from the NORTH OR EAST (not uncommon to be stuck on the DC Beltlines for HOURS). STAY AWAY

The other Routes that go west out of Buffalo, have their own headaches... Especially so anything that heads towards Pittsburg.

Only the Easterly Routes skirt around major US Seaboard cities by utilizing Hwy 15 (coming from Eastern Ontario, and not Niagara our route is always 416 - 401 - I-81 - 15 when heading this way / or to points south).

3- As covered by @Mike15 there are tolls for any of the International Bridges (that includes the one at 1000 Islands, and all the ones around Niagara). Fees are posted in Cdn / US Currency, you can pay in whichever... But it must ONLY be in one currency (so you can't mix in Cdn Coins & US Coins)

4- I-90 the NY State Thruway is a toll Interstate. When you enter the hwy you get a ticket at a tool booth, when you leave the hwy an attendant at a toll booth takes the ticket & tells you how much you owe... IN US CURRENCY. Don't even think about using Cdn Currency anywhere once you are in America. The ticket shows a list printed on it of how much it costs to go from where you got on to all the exits. If you know your exit number you will know how much you owe when you get there... My best advice, give the ticket to a designated passenger to figure out, and prep payment (driver doesn't need to worry about this). Also then you KNOW where the ticket is... Cause if you don't hand it in when you exit... The Thruway Attendant will charge you full fare from one end of the Thruway to the other!!!

5- Crossing the Border. If you are a Cdn Citizen, it's easy. If anyone in your party is not, then it is far more complicated. And some visitors will need to get paperwork done to enter (be that a Visa or a Visa Waiver)... Depends on WHAT COUNTRY their Passport is from. In either case, they will be sent to Secondary Inspection at the Border (so in this case I recommend you cross the Border as few times as possible... If going to NF get there via Canada / Toronto & Hamilton).

If your Vsitor qualifies for a Visa Waiver the process is relatively easy (form to fill out - fingerprinting - pay fee)... BUT if they are from a country that is not on the Waiver List, then they need to have applied for a Visa MONTHS in advance of their trip.

For more info see the US Border Services Website
https://www.cbp.gov/
I forgot to mention that the one non-canadian vistor already got a tourist visa for the States. How much am I looking at spending on the tolls. Do they need an exact amount to pay or can I pay with $100 US and get the change back. I still am confused on which way to drive and I dont think I will figure it out. Planning on leaving Niagara Falls at 12pm
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
masoud100 wrote: I forgot to mention that the one non-canadian vistor already got a tourist visa for the States. How much am I looking at spending on the tolls. Do they need an exact amount to pay or can I pay with $100 US and get the change back. I still am confused on which way to drive and I dont think I will figure it out. Planning on leaving Niagara Falls at 12pm
International Bridge tolls can vary place to place to place as they are set by the local Bridge Authority. But generally speaking it will be under $ 4 CDN or US... pay in whatever is convenient for you.

The only other tolls you will come upon are on the I-90. And the Toll Attendant will make change (although personally I wouldn't expect them to break anything larger than a $ 20). The overhead bar of the Tolls will be lit up with a sign saying what type of payment they take... look for the one marked CASH (most convenient & cheapest, as I believe there is a Service Charge for paying with Plastic). For a short trip no need to get a Toll Pass / Responder... just go with cash.

Route Confusion...

It sound complicated it isn't. Just get yourself a Map & someone to navigate for you (call out the exits ahead of time) or else use a GPS. Or even use Google Maps to lay out the route, then print out the map & directions (remember to adjust the route based on what you want to do by putting in lay points vs just going with whatever it recommends... cause it will "pull you" to the Washington DC Beltway).

I think with your Visitor situation it is best to go to NF via Toronto & Hamilton. See Niagara from the Cdn side, and then cross into the USA and get yourself to I-90. From there it's straightforward... I-390 South to Hwy 15 South, to I-66 East.

Really not hard at all.

i'd make ya a map, except, I seem to only know how to do them for myself, not save & share them on an Open Forum Confused Face

As to leaving at Noon from NF... if you can get away a bit earlier I would. Cause it gets dark now earlier & earlier, and no fun driving somewhere you don't know in the dark. AND the upcoming Time Change to Standard Time, means it will get darker an hour earlier than it is now.

Personally, when driving south in the Winter, we plan to be off the road BEFORE 5 PM.

You can make it all the way to Clifton VA in one day from NF... but best to start earlier than later.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ADD - You can even skip the traffic around Toronto by going across the city via Hwy 407 vs Hwy 401.... BUT the 407 is an Electronic Toll Road (it records your license plate & sends you a bill in the mail). Not cheap, but definitely a time saver. Not sure what full freight is these days from one end to the other (East to West)... maybe someone from TO can comment.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, drive during day time. Will be easier and safer to drive.

Go to a bank beforehand and get some US money, smaller bills and some coins, to use for tolls. Don't expect them to break a US$100 for you.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: ADD - You can even skip the traffic around Toronto by going across the city via Hwy 407 vs Hwy 401.... BUT the 407 is an Electronic Toll Road (it records your license plate & sends you a bill in the mail). Not cheap, but definitely a time saver. Not sure what full freight is these days from one end to the other (East to West)... maybe someone from TO can comment.
Not sure if that is right. I am already at Niagara Falls. Dont we just cross the border at the falls or do we go thru Toronto?
PointsHubby wrote: International Bridge tolls can vary place to place to place as they are set by the local Bridge Authority. But generally speaking it will be under $ 4 CDN or US... pay in whatever is convenient for you.

The only other tolls you will come upon are on the I-90. And the Toll Attendant will make change (although personally I wouldn't expect them to break anything larger than a $ 20). The overhead bar of the Tolls will be lit up with a sign saying what type of payment they take... look for the one marked CASH (most convenient & cheapest, as I believe there is a Service Charge for paying with Plastic). For a short trip no need to get a Toll Pass / Responder... just go with cash.

Route Confusion...

It sound complicated it isn't. Just get yourself a Map & someone to navigate for you (call out the exits ahead of time) or else use a GPS. Or even use Google Maps to lay out the route, then print out the map & directions (remember to adjust the route based on what you want to do by putting in lay points vs just going with whatever it recommends... cause it will "pull you" to the Washington DC Beltway).

I think with your Visitor situation it is best to go to NF via Toronto & Hamilton. See Niagara from the Cdn side, and then cross into the USA and get yourself to I-90. From there it's straightforward... I-390 South to Hwy 15 South, to I-66 East.

Really not hard at all.

i'd make ya a map, except, I seem to only know how to do them for myself, not save & share them on an Open Forum Confused Face

As to leaving at Noon from NF... if you can get away a bit earlier I would. Cause it gets dark now earlier & earlier, and no fun driving somewhere you don't know in the dark. AND the upcoming Time Change to Standard Time, means it will get darker an hour earlier than it is now.

Personally, when driving south in the Winter, we plan to be off the road BEFORE 5 PM.

You can make it all the way to Clifton VA in one day from NF... but best to start earlier than later.
Thanks for the advice. So which of the 3 routes that was mentioned follow the route you are referring to.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)