• Sep 16th, 2017 12:55 am
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
11 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON

Need help to understand hydro delivery

Hi All,

I'm new here and please accept my apologies if my question is too entry-level. I just purchased a condo and first hydro bill just came out with a bit surprise. The condo is not occupied for the first couple weeks ( i shutdown the power completely for a few days)
so the usage is low, but there is a $17 delivery fee which is almost 6 times of my electricity fees, is this normal to everyone?

thanks
Images
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 1.01.47 PM.png
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7454 posts
2403 upvotes
ON
Delivery includes a fixed monthly fee that everyone pays.
Even if you used 0 kWh you'll be paying $20-30/month depending on the utility.

Your utility should have a breakdown of all fees on their webpage.
$27.69/mo customer charge.

It's unfortunate this was not mandated to be a separate line item as it seems no one reads the fine print to know this.
Instead they spend money to go monthly to make it seem like it costs less that way (it doesn't.)
Last edited by aqnd on Sep 10th, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3215 posts
570 upvotes
London
Normal, yes. Crock of poop? also yes.

Here they are defined:

Delivery Costs
We deliver your electricity but we do not generate it. Our costs capture what it takes for us to deliver electricity to your homes safely and reliably. This category can be broken down into four components: system maintenance, storm restoration, operations, and new connections.

SYSTEM MAINTENANCE:

60 per cent of delivery costs cover our system maintenance expenses. This includes replacing worn out equipment, trimming trees to keep power lines clear, and general maintenance of the system.
STORM RESTORATION:

15 per cent of our delivery costs cover the expenses we incur from restoring electricity to your homes during a power outage.
OPERATIONS:

15 per cent of our delivery costs cover our customer service work ensuring you have the tools and support you need to manage your electricity use.
NEW CUSTOMERS:

10 per cent of our delivery costs cover our expenses connecting new customers to the distribution system.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4294 posts
2904 upvotes
GTA
snow00774 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 1:22 pm
Normal, yes. Crock of poop? also yes.
If you mean charging a fixed monthly fee is a crock of poop then I'd disagree with that.
If you mean the way they describe the fee is a crock of poop then I'd agree with that.
They should just list it separately as a "connection/maintenance fee". Delivery should be added to the usage rates.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
11 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON
thanks for the info, i think that it is more reasonable if delivery fee goes by usage and it should have a cap amount too, if you dont use any electricity, and you are charged with delivery fee, thats not really fair, wouldn't anyone agree?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7190 posts
981 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
ikelca wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:53 pm
thanks for the info, i think that it is more reasonable if delivery fee goes by usage and it should have a cap amount too, if you dont use any electricity, and you are charged with delivery fee, thats not really fair, wouldn't anyone agree?
If you want access to electricity then it makes sense that you pay a fixed fee for the connection whether you use it or not. There is cost to maintaining your connection. I guess if you really don't need the connection you can look at having the electricity turned off and disconnected.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2500 posts
878 upvotes
ikelca wrote:
I didn't watch any TV today .. maybe the cable company should give me a refund towards my monthly subscription.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ikelca wrote:
You don't have a refrigerator?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2500 posts
878 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:39 am
You don't have a refrigerator?
Maybe they're tapping into the neighbors power for the grow-op and is feeding the refrigerator from that.
Mar 6, 2015
182 posts
80 upvotes
Quebec, QC
ikelca wrote:
No, it's not surprising or unreasonable to me that there's a fee involved for being connected to the grid. In Quebec, hydro bills have a fixed charge of $.4064 per day. Ontario bills just don't seem to explain this fee very well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
pootza wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:55 pm
Maybe they're tapping into the neighbors power for the grow-op and is feeding the refrigerator from that.
Something must be using electricity. A water heater with a blower fan, furnace etc
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
ikelca wrote:
You are charged for the privilege and cost of ensuring there is electricity ready for you on standby anytime you flip the switch

It's reasonable to charge for that. Though as others said, think of delivery fee as the "connection" fee
Mar 7, 2011
79 posts
21 upvotes
Moronto
pootza wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 8:47 pm
I didn't watch any TV today .. maybe the cable company should give me a refund towards my monthly subscription.
Is your TV service is provided through a metered connection?
I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Mine isn't. Would be nice if it was.
And even if it was a metered connection, one would still have to pay to keep the service active.