• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 12:55 am
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2372 posts
829 upvotes
ob2011 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:18 am
Is your TV service is provided through a metered connection?
I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Mine isn't. Would be nice if it was.
And even if it was a metered connection, one would still have to pay to keep the service active.
The delivery charge is not a metered connection either, it's a monthly charge just like a TV subscription and the OP wants to get a refund for the weeks he never used electricity same as I should get a rebate for the time I don't watch TV. Some people just don't have a clue about what they're talking about.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7152 posts
2232 upvotes
ON
All utilities have a fixed monthly connection fee. If you don't want to pay it, disconnect it.
Nov 7, 2012
596 posts
199 upvotes
TORONTO
The short of it is.... All the wires you see on the streets that runs for hundreds/thousands of km to get to you.... thats how it gets delivered to you, not only the connection from the street to your unit... but basically the massive infrastructure was created and needs to be maintained.

Trust me I was in a little awe when I got my bill in my first month of owning my home. Something I never paid attention to when I was renting an apartment and paying some other company.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
11 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON
great resources
thanks
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
11 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON
pootza wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:37 pm
The delivery charge is not a metered connection either, it's a monthly charge just like a TV subscription and the OP wants to get a refund for the weeks he never used electricity same as I should get a rebate for the time I don't watch TV. Some people just don't have a clue about what they're talking about.
As my original post mentioned, im first time home owner, so i was simply wondering why I got charged and whats the rationale behind this charge as I never paid attention to these details as a renter, also, can you please point out where and when I asked for a refund? ? no, i did not. after reading people's replies, I now understand why it makes sense. what's more, I'm sure that I won't the last one who has same questions, and remember, We were all beginners once, so please be understanding to people, thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9319 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
Every debt + equity return required that hydro has taken is recouped via that charge. Everybody gets it. It's largely a fixed mortgage for life to pay for the politician's kickbacks and spending lifestyle.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2544 posts
661 upvotes
Paris
It's very much like being charged road tax if you don't have a car. You can disconnect the hydro service and then pay a small fortune to reconnect.

It keeps a set amount of money flowing into hydro so they can waste it on rainforest trees.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1024 posts
126 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:08 pm
It's very much like being charged road tax if you don't have a car. You can disconnect the hydro service and then pay a small fortune to reconnect.

It keeps a set amount of money flowing into hydro so they can waste it on rainforest trees.
or like the new etest scandal where we dont have to pay anymore lol so people that dont have a car now pay through their taxes for our etests beautiful isnt it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9319 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
shawn01 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:10 pm
or like the new etest scandal where we dont have to pay anymore lol so people that dont have a car now pay through their taxes for our etests beautiful isnt it.
Or 'rebates' for certain lightbulbs and free thermostats.

Off track here, have a bit of an interesting story. But HIGHLY related to these increasing fixed charges that people don't seem to understand. This would also include Carbon taxes. In 2008, Valentine's day, my gf (wife now) at the time had a V-time date at Barbarian's steakhouse. She got there before me, and I met her after work, which I got a bit stuck so was about 20 mins late. Right beside her were these 2 older, middle-aged men, looked to be in their mid 50s, pretty drunk. When I got there, they were finishing up, gave me a bit of a hard time for being late, how could i leave a lady waiting, etc. Said they were some sr. type people in this new green initiative thing the Provincial Government was undertaking.

Also talked about how their kids are in or done university, less needed (empty nest syndrome), and to enjoy our youth. They talked about how they always go there to talk or do business on the public dime. Come here every day, etc., Basically bragging about expensing expensive steak dinners and great their gig was. They were drinking this good, pricey wine and suggested we get it (was like $250 or something). When they left, a waiter actually brought us a bottle of it and said those guys paid for it. They had given us their cards (Looking back, we should have tried to cash in with them on that!).

Googled them after, and saw pics of them at all these Green conferences looking all happy . They were definitely Sr. people associated with the Liberals. This industry was relatively niche at the time. But all the participants in there looked so happy, etc. Like they struck gold. I thought it was one of those phony things that would never take, but realized after these Green Investments is nothing but a huge, elaborate money-making scheme which we see today (Party people set up corp., own it through other corp, reward contract, then close), And the real connected people in it spend money like drunken sailors during the process. Likely falls under 'procurement' expenses. Apparently under Obama, this was in the hundreds of billions. This explains how their debt doubled with not much to show for it.

And yupp, we all pay into it and fund it with these toll/delivery/carbon charges. So basically the Politicians/highly connected civil servants go crazy on this, spending crazy on our dime, get kickbacks or funnel money back through them and the Party through 'partnerships' with Green companies that contribute back to the Party, which all of a sudden go out of business. Much like how a mafia would run a store front business. The difference is, the toll/delivery charge legally mandates all of us to pay for it to guarantee to fund all that excessive spending. Funny how clueless people are, keep voting in Carbon-Tax Party, then complain "gee, what is this??".
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3593 posts
2254 upvotes
GTA
at1212b wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:31 pm
Or 'rebates' for certain lightbulbs and free thermostats.

Off track here, have a bit of an interesting story. But HIGHLY related to these increasing fixed charges that people don't seem to understand. This would also include Carbon taxes. In 2008, Valentine's day, my gf (wife now) at the time had a V-time date at Barbarian's steakhouse. She got there before me, and I met her after work, which I got a bit stuck so was about 20 mins late. Right beside her were these 2 older, middle-aged men, looked to be in their mid 50s, pretty drunk. When I got there, they were finishing up, gave me a bit of a hard time for being late, how could i leave a lady waiting, etc. Said they were some sr. type people in this new green initiative thing the Provincial Government was undertaking.

Also talked about how their kids are in or done university, less needed (empty nest syndrome), and to enjoy our youth. They talked about how they always go there to talk or do business on the public dime. Come here every day, etc., Basically bragging about expensing expensive steak dinners and great their gig was. They were drinking this good, pricey wine and suggested we get it (was like $250 or something). When they left, a waiter actually brought us a bottle of it and said those guys paid for it. They had given us their cards (Looking back, we should have tried to cash in with them on that!).

Googled them after, and saw pics of them at all these Green conferences looking all happy . They were definitely Sr. people associated with the Liberals. This industry was relatively niche at the time. But all the participants in there looked so happy, etc. Like they struck gold. I thought it was one of those phony things that would never take, but realized after these Green Investments is nothing but a huge, elaborate money-making scheme which we see today (Party people set up corp., own it through other corp, reward contract, then close), And the real connected people in it spend money like drunken sailors during the process. Likely falls under 'procurement' expenses. Apparently under Obama, this was in the hundreds of billions. This explains how their debt doubled with not much to show for it.

And yupp, we all pay into it and fund it with these toll/delivery/carbon charges. So basically the Politicians/highly connected civil servants go crazy on this, spending crazy on our dime, get kickbacks or funnel money back through them and the Party through 'partnerships' with Green companies that contribute back to the Party, which all of a sudden go out of business. Much like how a mafia would run a store front business. The difference is, the toll/delivery charge legally mandates all of us to pay for it to guarantee to fund all that excessive spending. Funny how clueless people are, keep voting in Carbon-Tax Party, then complain "gee, what is this??".
This is unfortunately, and should be punished, but let's not pretend that only the liberals do this. It's a criticism of any party in control of the gov't, but that does not excuse this excess. Everyone in politics and business who can get away with it is doing this. Business has cracked down on much of it for the lower staff, but politicians on all parties continue to vote for their own pay raises, perks, waste, etc.
Oct 2, 2013
740 posts
315 upvotes
Montreal
yeahwhat wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:13 pm
No, it's not surprising or unreasonable to me that there's a fee involved for being connected to the grid. In Quebec, hydro bills have a fixed charge of $.4064 per day. Ontario bills just don't seem to explain this fee very well.
And it's very clear on the bill.
Images
  • Untitled.png
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8586 posts
526 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:08 pm

By rainforest trees, you mean so politicians can take expensive flights to the rainforest ecolodges thanks to taxpayers.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2544 posts
661 upvotes
Paris
aquariaguy wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 2:07 pm
By rainforest trees, you mean so politicians can take expensive flights to the rainforest ecolodges thanks to taxpayers.
No I literally mean rain forest trees. That was the first Ontario Hydro scandal I remember in the 90s where they LITERALLY bought acres of rainforest for some unknown reason.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.