• Mar 28th, 2012 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes

Need help with VOIP routing

Hello im having trouble with my voip modem and wireless router. My current config is:
Cable Modem > VOIP Modem > Asus router > Clients

What i want:
(Cable Modem > Asus router > Clients + VOIP Modem)

When i try to setup my VOIP modem to my Router i cant connect/IP to my VOIP modem. (not 100% sure what the problem is)

It used to work correctly on my older crappier Trendnet router but doesnt seem to work on this one.

Things ive tried:
Opening ports
Static IP for VOIP modem

Hardware:
ASUS WL-520GU ( DD-WRT)
linksys spa2102 (VOIP Modem)

Any ideas?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
Sounds like your spa2102 got a new IP from your new router and you are trying to ping the original IP thus you can't connect to it.

After the unit has finished powering up, pick up the handset and dial **** to access the Linksys voice menu. At the voice prompt, dial 110# and you should hear the IP Address of the unit. And you should be able to connect to it.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Doesn't the 2102 have a built-in router and firewall? The 2102 firewall won't let you connect from its wan side to prevent a internet hacker from messing things up. You have to have the PC connected to the 2102's built-in LAN port.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
How is the 2102 plugged into the Asus?

If you're plugged into the WAN port, then you need to make sure it is not on the same subnet as the Asus.

That's not the best route to go. You now have double NAT

The best option is to disable DHCP on the 2102 and plug into the LAN port. It will get its IP fom the Asus and you configure it with a browser. Just use Avatar's method to get the IP (****, 110#)

I am not sure why you want to move it around. You want QoS for VoIP and the 2102 should be the first device from the modem.

I would go

Modem > 2102 > Asus > Clients

Just do the opposite. Disable DHCP on the Asus and plug a cable from the 2102 (LAN) to port 4 on the Asus

Everything should work fine.
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11683 posts
2907 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: How is the 2102 plugged into the Asus?

If you're plugged into the WAN port, then you need to make sure it is not on the same subnet as the Asus.

The best option is to disable DHCP on the 2102 and plug into the LAN port. It will get its IP fom the Asus and you configure it with a browser. Just use Avatar's method to get the IP (****, 110#)

I am not sure why you want to move it around. You want QoS for VoIP and the 2102 should be the first device from the modem.

I would go

Just do the opposite. Disable DHCP on the Asus and plug a cable from the 2102 (LAN) to port 4 on the Asus

Careful with that. You might have bandwidth contention issues as this is a known issue with Cisco (sorry can't find the link at the moment).
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
Gee wrote: How is the 2102 plugged into the Asus?

I would go

I get extreme lag during games whenever someone calls or whenever someone is on the phone. Ive tried the VOIP modem connected to the Router before and it performs perfectly fine without affecting any gaming.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Tainger wrote: I get extreme lag during games whenever someone calls or whenever someone is on the phone. Ive tried the VOIP modem connected to the Router before and it performs perfectly fine without affecting any gaming.

The whole point of putting the 2102 in front is to give the bandwidth priority to the phone

I guess the gaming is more important.

Go with my first scenario. It will solve your problems
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Disable DHCP on the 2102 and just use the 2102 as an ATA.

Set a static IP address for the WAN port of the 2102, as appropriate for any device behind your ASUS, and use the WAN port to connect the 2102 to any open port on the ASUS.

I have used this configuration for with my old D-Link 604 without any VOIP call issues. The 604 does not even support QoS.

With a better router, like the ASUS, I would never pass all internet traffic through the 2102.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
fastlayne wrote: Disable DHCP on the 2102 and just use the 2102 as an ATA.

Set a static IP address for the WAN port of the 2102, as appropriate for any device behind your ASUS, and use the WAN port to connect the 2102 to any open port on the ASUS.

I have used this configuration for with my old D-Link 604 without any VOIP call issues. The 604 does not even support QoS.

With a better router, like the ASUS, I would never pass all internet traffic through the 2102.

Makes sense particularly since the 2102 is limited to 7MB as a router.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
2045 posts
193 upvotes
Guelph
I have a dir 655 router and just ordered freephoneline.ca's ata. I'm going to plug the ata into the router, should I be setting anything in qos or opening any ports etc?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
I don't have QoS setup and tested downloading at the same time as talking on the phone and no lag issues. With games it might effect. Trial and error I guess will be best to see if it effects or not.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
There's nothing wrong with your setup. By default the WAN web server is turned off on the SPA2102 this needs to be enabled either via the web interface or by the IVR menu ****7932# press 1# to enable and 1 again to save.

Make sure you don't give it a public ip without protecting it first. Both the user level and admin level. But if you put it modem> router>ata you'll be fine.

Never put cable modem > ata > router > pcs! Soo many downsides to this...
1. Doing double nat
2. Firmware of spa units is extremely old and outdated.
3. Restricted to only 7mbps
4. Lack of routing options
5. Arp issues
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
No offense but your all giving suggestions that don't really work.

In my experience all you have to do is go into the spa2102's settings and change the stun server to stun.xten.com

It's on the SIP tab and you gotta scroll down. Make sure you enable the "Enable Stun" setting
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
2045 posts
193 upvotes
Guelph
Does anyone know how to set up QoS for FPL? I do a lot of gaming and don't want it to interfere.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
wilsonlam97 wrote: No offense but your all giving suggestions that don't really work.
In my experience all you have to do is go into the spa2102's settings and change the stun server to stun.xten.com
Your suggestion would not solve the OP's problem. STUN is a hack for use with VoIP providers that don't handle NAT properly. While it can "solve" some NAT-related issues, it is not a good idea to rely on for many reasons - one in particular is that it adds an additional point of failure. If stun.xten.com goes down, then your entire setup breaks.

Both Gee and Traian2003 have offered very workable solutions, to the OP's problem, which is almost certainly not related to how his VoIP provider handles NAT.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
2045 posts
193 upvotes
Guelph
If I have telephone jacks built into my computer is there a free program I can use to make calls using a regular home phone attached?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
2045 posts
193 upvotes
Guelph
The point is to be able to use my home phones and to do that I'd need to connect them to the computer assumingly through the modem ports. I want to do this using freephoneline.ca or dellvoice or some other computer program
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
dtm252535 wrote: The point is to be able to use my home phones and to do that I'd need to connect them to the computer assumingly through the modem ports. I want to do this using freephoneline.ca or dellvoice or some other computer program

Why don't you open a new thread instead of hijacking this one?

And you should research FXO/FXS, but I would not recommend the setup you're thinking of. It's cheaper to just buy an SPA2102 (50-60 bucks) and you don't have to run the computer all the time.

Or simply get the magic jack (but you restrict yourself to one provider)
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
2045 posts
193 upvotes
Guelph
Traian2003 wrote: Why don't you open a new thread instead of hijacking this one?

And you should research FXO/FXS, but I would not recommend the setup you're thinking of. It's cheaper to just buy an SPA2102 (50-60 bucks) and you don't have to run the computer all the time.

Or simply get the magic jack (but you restrict yourself to one provider)

Sorry didn't realize the hijack police were on patrol. Just tryin to figure it out big guy chill.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)