Home & Garden

Need kitchen cabinets which are better than neighbors'

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2022 7:57 am

Poll: Would you buy from a local dealer?

• Total votes: 34. You have voted on this poll.
Yes.

50%
No.

6%
IKEA for life.

44%
Sep 17, 2017
88 posts
35 upvotes

Need kitchen cabinets which are better than neighbors'

My adjacent neighbor is an old woman who lives off her pension. Last week, she invited us over for tea which she only does to brag about how her kids are earning very attractive paychecks, the ranches they bought and the cars they drive around Toronto. Soon after all the chit-chat, she showed us her new kitchen upgrade. It was one of those contemporary designs with fresh cabinets and kitchen walls. When asked about the manufacturer, she was hesitant to mention and strayed from our discussion. She probably got a good deal that she doesn't want to tell us.

After we left her place, my wife had that gloomy expression on her face. I could tell by the signs what needed to be done Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes I've always thought IKEA furniture was the best out there but those custom cabinets were absolutely stunning and altered my perspectives.

I'm a simple man. I just don't want wifey to continuously nag me. I found a dealer in the GTA who sells custom cabinets. Is anyone familiar using their products? Or, should I stay away from these fancy stuff from local dealers and try out modern IKEA kitchen designs with stock cabinets?
27 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
alexmercer wrote: My adjacent neighbor is an old woman who lives off her pension. Last week, she invited us over for tea which she only does to brag about how her kids are earning very attractive paychecks, the ranches they bought and the cars they drive around Toronto. Soon after all the chit-chat, she showed us her new kitchen upgrade. It was one of those contemporary designs with fresh cabinets and kitchen walls. When asked about the manufacturer, she was hesitant to mention and strayed from our discussion. She probably got a good deal that she doesn't want to tell us.

After we left her place, my wife had that gloomy expression on her face. I could tell by the signs what needed to be done Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes I've always thought IKEA furniture was the best out there but those custom cabinets were absolutely stunning and altered my perspectives.

I'm a simple man. I just don't want wifey to continuously nag me. I found a dealer in the GTA who sells custom cabinets. Is anyone familiar using their products? Or, should I stay away from these fancy stuff from local dealers and try out modern IKEA kitchen designs with stock cabinets?
Why stoop to your neighbors level? She doesn't sound like someone I'd want to invite over to show off to anyway.
Last edited by DIrty-D on Sep 26th, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
"Keeping up with the Jonses" complex at full throttle here.
Why listen to Grandma? She is just braggin on her Kids...what else does she have to do?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Nobody cares about your house, your car or your kids except you. You can get the best cabinets money can buy and nobody will care.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
I think OP just think his wife want better cabinets. The visit to the neighbor was just a trigger. Nothing wrong with looking at someone's house and want to upgrade your own.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Get a life and stop worrying about outdoing your neighbours. How old are you?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3740 posts
3963 upvotes
Toronto
No need to reno you kitchen. Your neighbor is old, she'll die soon. Then buy her house!

Then you can invite your new neighbors and share your story on how you got your kitchen!

:)

PS. with some trim work, you can make Ikea cabinets look custom!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Chickinvic wrote: Get a life and stop worrying about outdoing your neighbours. How old are you?
Agree with this 100%, for both the OP and his wife. Buy her some granny panties if she wants to keep up with the neighbor, and call it done.

Figure out a budget for your kitchen reno, and stick with it. Compromise to focus on what's important to you.

And IKEA was never "the best out there". At best, it's an economical option. We looked at a custom kitchen as well. It was going to run around $20k (for cabinets, countertop, and installation). We ended up putting in an IKEA kitchen ourselves. Total cost was around 7k (4k for cabinets, 3k for countertops). The countertops were half the price of other local shops for Caeserstone, but IKEA only offers a few options. If one of those works out for you, great. I'd do it again.

C
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7847 posts
8794 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote:
Why stoop o your neighbors level? She doesn't sound like someone I'd want to invite over to show off to anyway.
Chickinvic wrote: Get a life and stop worrying about outdoing your neighbours. How old are you?
Pete_Coach wrote: "Keeping up with the Jonses" complex at full throttle here.
Why listen to Grandma? She is just braggin on her Kids...what else does she have to do?
Why are we grilling the OP for wanting nice cabinets? Maybe he has outdated/damaged/faded 30 year old cabinets that really could use a reno?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Give your wife what she wants, a real classy, up-to-date kitchen. That is, assuming that's her favourite room in the house. That should shut her up, keep her busy cooking for you and you both win.
It worked for me. Happy wife and a well fed hubby.

And I wouldn't bother with that Swedish Chinese company. Keep your business local.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
superfresh89 wrote: Why are we grilling the OP for wanting nice cabinets? Maybe he has outdated/damaged/faded 30 year old cabinets that really could use a reno?
I don't think anyone is "grilling" him for wanting nice cabinets. If he came in here and just said
My wife and I are looking at putting in a new kitchen, and we're debating whether to go custom or IKEA. I found a dealer in the GTA who sells custom cabinets. Is anyone familiar using their products? Or, should I stay away from these fancy stuff from local dealers and try out modern IKEA kitchen designs with stock cabinets?
Nobody would be giving him any grief. But people are on his case because he's doing it because he (and/or his wife) are doing it to keep up with the neighbors. Which is a fool's game. IMHO.

C
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
superfresh89 wrote: Why are we grilling the OP for wanting nice cabinets? Maybe he has outdated/damaged/faded 30 year old cabinets that really could use a reno?
No grilling, just putting hm in perspective. Asking about cabinetry is fine and answers would be forthcoming but, when you start the story with "My adjacent neighbor is an old woman who lives off her pension. Last week, she invited us over for tea which she only does to brag about how her kids are earning very attractive paychecks, the ranches they bought and the cars they drive around Toronto." it does not sound like he wants or needs cabinets but only for him (or his Wife) to keep up with someone elses Grandma.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4253 posts
1078 upvotes
why not find someone that can customize ikea cabinets? there are a few around
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
Get her a Bulthaup kithen and you will be the talk of the street if not town!

Mined you it will probably set up back a brand new Porsche!

Cheers!
alexmercer wrote: My adjacent neighbor is an old woman who lives off her pension. Last week, she invited us over for tea which she only does to brag about how her kids are earning very attractive paychecks, the ranches they bought and the cars they drive around Toronto. Soon after all the chit-chat, she showed us her new kitchen upgrade. It was one of those contemporary designs with fresh cabinets and kitchen walls. When asked about the manufacturer, she was hesitant to mention and strayed from our discussion. She probably got a good deal that she doesn't want to tell us.

Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Custom cabinets are amazing. And 3x the price of normal because instead of 23.75" deep bottoms (which is a 4x8 cut in half) you get 26" or larger bottom cabinets. And instead of 11" uppers (4x8 cut in 4) you get 14" uppers. More wasted materials, but when you are in a kitchen done like this it's amazing. You 100% notice the larger work areas.

Also, the fronts are real wood through and through instead of laminates. Generally hinges are better, there is zero wasted space (as you aren't fitting an off the shelf 9" cabinet into a 9.75" hole). But it's mostly about what YOU want and your workspace. You dont get the resale out of spending $25k as easily as spending $15k on cabinets. Like the difference between a VW CC and an A4. There is a difference, but its subtle and maybe worth the $5-6k difference, and maybe not. Or an Acura and a Honda, or whatever car you are into.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Jerico wrote: Custom cabinets are amazing. And 3x the price of normal because instead of 23.75" deep bottoms (which is a 4x8 cut in half) you get 26" or larger bottom cabinets. And instead of 11" uppers (4x8 cut in 4) you get 14" uppers. More wasted materials, but when you are in a kitchen done like this it's amazing. You 100% notice the larger work areas.

Also, the fronts are real wood through and through instead of laminates. Generally hinges are better, there is zero wasted space (as you aren't fitting an off the shelf 9" cabinet into a 9.75" hole). But it's mostly about what YOU want and your workspace. You dont get the resale out of spending $25k as easily as spending $15k on cabinets. Like the difference between a VW CC and an A4. There is a difference, but its subtle and maybe worth the $5-6k difference, and maybe not. Or an Acura and a Honda, or whatever car you are into.
Actually, the IKEA uppers we put in were 15" cabinets... Just for clarification.

C
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3583 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
Downvoted this thread off title alone.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
Just wanted to add...
Nice design and taste > expensive prices & materials.

e.g. You can spend $50K on cabinet with top notch materials, plywood frame with full wood veneer interiors, handcrafted solid wood doors, etc
If you do it in a disgusting color/design and poor layout, that $5000 ikea cabinet will probably look nicer

Also, all the traditionally considered "premium" features on kitchen cabinets are now readily available from even lower cost suppliers such as ikea. (i.e. deeper upper, large pots & pans drawers, soft close everything, auto-on interior lighting, hidden drawers, etc)

just my opinion, but I think ikea kitchen really do have awesome features, options and very good price.
What they lack tho is the higher quality materials. e.g. chipboards frame instead of plywood, crappy backer boards, door choice is limited and mostly average quality.
Sep 17, 2017
88 posts
35 upvotes
That's a huge amount of flak I got there for trying to sound comical. Guess it didn't go that well.

Anyway, thanks for all the constructive criticism & suggestions! The poll results are 50-50 [Local vs IKEA].