Need Laptop Advice (17.3" Non-Gaming)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 3:59 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
8 posts

Need Laptop Advice (17.3" Non-Gaming)

Hi,

I posted something similar in the deals section, but that was probably the wrong place for it. I'm not looking for a special deal, just a decent price or good seller for what I need. I'm looking for a pretty specific kind of laptop. I have the following requirements:

17.3 inch display
--256 GB SSD + 500GB or greater HDD (OR) just a 500GB + SSD
--1920x1080 Resolution (preferably IPS, but willing to consider TN)
--Windows 10
--Discrete GPU
--Unilingual English Keyboard (NO BILINGUAL KEYBOARD) that is considered a good keyboard for typing
--Nothing that looks like a gaming rig (flashy colors, etc.)
--Don't care about weight or battery life or portability.

I'd like to get a decent price. I don't care if the CPU or GPU are the latest and greatest, just reasonably decent. (No hard core gaming planned.) Refurbs and second-hand machines are OK. I'm looking to spend up to maybe ~$1400 Canadian. I'm willing to order cross border and deal with import duties if needed, and the risks that come with buying from the US (unless someone can convince me I'm underrating those risks). I'm currently in a place with limited access to a big city, and I'd prefer not to order a laptop without an SSD and then buy one and have it installed. There is, however, a Best Buy in Moncton I could possibly access for that, if anyone can convince me this is the best approach.
Basically, here in Canada, the retailer included SSD is the problem. Pretty much all Canadian retailers only put the SSDs on really high-end stuff, usually gaming rigs. In the US, there is more ability to customize mid-level stuff.
11 replies
Jan 13, 2014
556 posts
144 upvotes
Calgary
If portability isn't a concern, why go with a more expensive laptop than a small desktop? If not gaming, what are you wanting a discrete GPU for? It could be for content-creation but that's about all I can think of.
Jan 10, 2017
284 posts
89 upvotes
GTA
Gpu don't really support content creation as much, however it may provide better preview rendering (when your working on vector graphics live), this may be beneficial to an illustrator user but not to a Photoshop, After effects user.
Information Security Analyst
---
The top eight careers of the future in Canada - Global News
We need more Security Experts, or we are in a world of hacks and breaches.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
8 posts
I'm pretty itinerant. This year, for example, I'll be in Canada for 3 months, then off to Eastern Europe for 3 months, and then back to Canada or maybe China. My laptop is pretty much the center of my life, so it always needs to travel with me, even if it stays in my 'office' wherever I actually am. And sometimes I take trips, and need to bring it to the hotel and work there. The things is that other than trips and major moves, I don't lug it around day-to-day or work out of coffee shops and libraries, etc.

I'd like the option of playing games, now and in the future. Or of powering large external monitors, or doing high-rez video conferencing while sharing screens and playing videos at high rez at the same time. Seemed prudent to have a discrete GPU, even if it's not the most powerful. Could be wrong there.

Could be that at the end of the day, what I *think* I want simply costs about $2,000 in Canada at the moment, after taxes and shipping and maybe duty, if I import. I can find lots of nice machines at that price range that fit the bill. The Lenovo Y700 looks great, for example.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1710 posts
732 upvotes
Saint John
Excellent points raised here. A small desktop will be cheaper, better cooled (so it will last longer) and is upgradable and repairable. You could also get a nice 23" IPS monitor instead of dealing with a 17" laptop screen.

EDIT: Sorry missed your post about requiring portability when traveling.

You might consider a Clevo/Sager machine from Eurocom. They tend to make powerful, large machines without the hideous gamer styling. Unfortunately, they're a bit on the pricey side to get a model that matches your specs... 17-inch tends to command quite a premium.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,386,0)SkyX7E2

Other than that, you're going to be limited to "gaming" laptops with aggressive aesthetics.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
I have one for sale for $320 obo , I can offer you $300 free shipping in Canada. Comes with 3 batteries + sleeve. PM me if interested.

Here is the ad: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... stSource=b
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3565 posts
454 upvotes
ROG Core i7-6700HQ 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 17.3", GTX960M/2G, 1920x1080, DVDRW, Windows 10, Bilingual KB (GL752VW-RH71-CB) (Refurbished)
http://www.nmicrovip.ca/rog-core-i7-670 ... furbished/

or

ROG Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD+128GB SSD, 17.3", 1920x1080, GTX970M/3GB, DVDRW, Windows 10, English KB (G752VT-DH72)

sometimes they have more choices ...
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
8 posts
Interesting site. I've been looking to 'see past' Amazon or Newegg or ebay to the actual sellers, because I'm hopeful that by contacting a seller directly, I may be able to get them to say add extra RAM or add an SSD and then make sure the software is working with the new hardware, before delivery. You can't really do that on many of the major sites.
I don't really feel comfortable ordering RAM or an SSD separately. And the local computer stores are so distant at the moment as to not be local.
If anyone knows any such sellers that could do the above, I'd appreciate links to the websites. Ideally, they'd be in Canada (to avoid customs)--but willing to try US sellers who ship easily to Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1710 posts
732 upvotes
Saint John
lubmar wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:16 pm
ROG Core i7-6700HQ 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 17.3", GTX960M/2G, 1920x1080, DVDRW, Windows 10, Bilingual KB (GL752VW-RH71-CB) (Refurbished)

or

ROG Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD+128GB SSD, 17.3", 1920x1080, GTX970M/3GB, DVDRW, Windows 10, English KB (G752VT-DH72)

sometimes they have more choices ...
Gamer styling, bilingual keyboard, no SSD (or too small SSD), outdated GPUs.

As I mentioned, OP has an almost impossible ask - for 17" you're either looking at a high-end L337 gamerz PC or a mobile workstation class machine ($$$).
Last edited by birthdaymonkey on Aug 12th, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1710 posts
732 upvotes
Saint John
You can customize a Thinkpad P71 for $1794. Add your own 8GB SO-DIMM to save significant cash moving up to 16GB... $1860 +tax with the self RAM upgrade. Meets all OP's requirements, although the Quadro GPU - despite being an expensive pro model - is relatively weak at gaming.

You could save another $150 by adding your own SSD rather than taking the Lenovo option. These machines are built to be easily upgradeable.

Processor : Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.80GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Display : 17.3" FHD (1920x1080), anti-glare, IPS
Memory : 8GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
Base : Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.80GHz )
Graphic Card : NVIDIA Quadro M620 2GB
Camera : 720p HD Camera with Microphone
Keyboard : Keyboard with Number Pad - English
Pointing Device : 3-button TrackPoint pointing device and 3-button multi-touch touchpad
Security Features : Integrated Fingerprint Reader
Solid State Drive : 256GB SSD PCIe MLC OPAL2
Hard Disk Drive : 500GB 7200rpm HDD
Battery : 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery 96Wh
Power Cord : 170W AC Adapter - US(2pin)
Wireless : Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1
Display Panel : 17.3" FHD IPS eDP (1920x1080), 300nit, Non-Touch, 2D-Camera, no Color Sensor, WLAN/WWAN
Warranty : 1 Year Depot

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/thinkpa ... ed-777107/
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
8 posts
Totally looking at that thinkpad, but think I have to pull the trigger today or the sale ends...
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
8 posts
Thanks so much for this idea Bdaymonkey. The Back to school sale ends today. Does that mean that I only have a few hours to pull the trigger to get the full savings (sale + IBM friends discount?)