• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2010 8:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
13 posts

Need low-flow toilet: Kohler vs American Standard

So I need to buy a 6L toilet in the next couple weeks to get things wrapped up with my eco-energy audit stuff (plumbing wise). I missed the go-low-flow weekend at HD, and doubt there'll be another in my timeframe. Currently looking at the following 2 from Lowes:

American Standard Cadet 3 (elongated bowl, 1000 MAP, $298)
Kohler Wellworth (standard bowl, 1000 MAP, $218)

Would rather stick to a known brand like Kohler or AS, not buying a Costco toilet (that's what I'm replacing), and not looking to spend the moon on a Toto. Anyone have these or an opinion about them? Is the AS's "Rated Best Flush" worth the extra $80, or will the Kohler still make my #2's disappear?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
uwphysmed wrote:
May 11th, 2010 10:44 pm
So I need to buy a 6L toilet in the next couple weeks to get things wrapped up with my eco-energy audit stuff (plumbing wise). I missed the go-low-flow weekend at HD, and doubt there'll be another in my timeframe. Currently looking at the following 2 from Lowes:

Would rather stick to a known brand like Kohler or AS, not buying a Costco toilet (that's what I'm replacing), and not looking to spend the moon on a Toto. Anyone have these or an opinion about them? Is the AS's "Rated Best Flush" worth the extra $80, or will the Kohler still make my #2's disappear?
We've gone with Kohlers (but pricier models) and, frankly, between the two you suggest, I'd go with the AS - mostly because I've heard and read such good things about the Cadet.
May 24, 2003
929 posts
42 upvotes
I bought 3 of the Cadet kits for $200 and change. I would definitely buy them again if I had to do it all over.
Jul 20, 2007
190 posts
11 upvotes
In my research, the biggest issue with the Cadet 3 is incomplete glazing so it's recommended you check the toilet at the store before purchasing. Sometimes the moulding is off and you can get a rocker. Seems to be alot of happy users though. The flushing system is modeled after the Toto G-Max though it's louder and can splash a bit.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
5 upvotes
We've got 2 Kohler Wellworths and 1 AS Cadet 3 in the house. My vote is Kohler due to ease of install, great flush (low noise) and space effective as the elongated bowl has a bigger footprint.

Cheers
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
59 upvotes
Ontario
uwphysmed wrote:
May 11th, 2010 10:44 pm

I bought the Cadet 3 by accident not knowing it was a low-flush. I thought my second bathroom had this same model but I was mistaken. I used to be against low-flush from all the other crappy ones in the past. I am now a convert. I've never had any beached wales in this toilet.
Mar 2, 2006
817 posts
18 upvotes
I think that the Cadet 3 HET (4.8L) is a great bang for buck. It's selling as a complete kit at HD for $199 and you will likely qualify for a municipal rebate (6L flush often no longer qualify) as well as the EcoEnergy rebate.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
13 posts
Ok, so it appears there are two different cadet 3's out there, the regular Cadet 3 which goes for about $200, and the Cadet 3 Flowise which is the one I saw at ~$300.

So assuming I wanted to go with American Standard, what does one gain by becoming $100 poorer for the "Flowise"? Is this the model which knocks off the Toto design, or is that the regular Cadet 3?
May 17, 2006
453 posts
24 upvotes
I have the one-piece AS Cadet 3 elongated bowl, right height model. It flushes better than any other toilet I've owned (they've been mostly builder/budget junk though). I would definitely buy it again. No more floaters!

However, I'm curious about the Kohler, given the comments about it being quieter than the AS. I'll admit that the Cadet 3 is moderately noisy, more than I expected.
Mar 2, 2006
817 posts
18 upvotes
uwphysmed wrote:
May 12th, 2010 12:19 pm
Ok, so it appears there are two different cadet 3's out there, the regular Cadet 3 which goes for about $200, and the Cadet 3 Flowise which is the one I saw at ~$300.

So assuming I wanted to go with American Standard, what does one gain by becoming $100 poorer for the "Flowise"? Is this the model which knocks off the Toto design, or is that the regular Cadet 3?
I could be wrong, but the Flowise might be for the HET (4.8L) line. The Cadet 3 flush technology is the knock off and used in all Cadet 3 toilets. HD sells the complete kit (seat, wax ring, etc.) for $199.

For some reason, the Region of Peel listing shows that the Wellworth has a MAP rating of 350g. There's a pressure assisted version called Wellworth Pressure Lite that scores 1000.
May 22, 2010
1 posts
Alberta
Initially I was elated by this unit but the honeymoon is over.

It's an American Standard, Cadet 3, Flow Wise, Single Piece, Elongated bowl, Rite Height and I installed it in August 2008.

Innitially I was so impressed with this unit that I established a contest hoping to confirm the natural supriority of man over machine but to no avail. I would allow waste to collect over a couple days until it towered above the water level; even then the young cadet dispatched it instantly with a single flush. I was astounded, addmitted defeat and egerly recommended it to my friends!

But around 15-18 months after installation the bowel could not be completely emptied even with multiple flushes. Suspecting a blockage I used a plumbers wire cable to ensure everything was clear and even took up and reinstalled the toilet and flushed out the drain and vent system. Although it hasn't plugged it only seems to flush properly every dozen flushes. Usually some solids take 2 or three flushes to disapear and floaters - paper - can swirl around on the surface for multiple flushes.

Anyone else with this experience? What is the cause? Seems to be at odds with other users' experiences.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1650 posts
542 upvotes
Kitchener
fjohn wrote:
May 24th, 2010 12:06 am
Initially I was elated by this unit but the honeymoon is over.

It's an American Standard, Cadet 3, Flow Wise, Single Piece, Elongated bowl, Rite Height and I installed it in August 2008.

Innitially I was so impressed with this unit that I established a contest hoping to confirm the natural supriority of man over machine but to no avail. I would allow waste to collect over a couple days until it towered above the water level; even then the young cadet dispatched it instantly with a single flush. I was astounded, addmitted defeat and egerly recommended it to my friends!

But around 15-18 months after installation the bowel could not be completely emptied even with multiple flushes. Suspecting a blockage I used a plumbers wire cable to ensure everything was clear and even took up and reinstalled the toilet and flushed out the drain and vent system. Although it hasn't plugged it only seems to flush properly every dozen flushes. Usually some solids take 2 or three flushes to disapear and floaters - paper - can swirl around on the surface for multiple flushes.

Anyone else with this experience? What is the cause? Seems to be at odds with other users' experiences.
take a nail and make sure the holes on the underside of the bowl are not clogged with calcium or what not... use a nail to 'ream' them out if you follow me...
× < >