• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 1:08 pm
[OP]
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes

Need to move fiber cable for reno

Hi

Hopefully someone can answer this. I did read the other thread about bell running fiber in condo units.

I just bought an older condo unit in mississauga and is about to do some reno with opening up the kitchen wall and there are existing bell fiber running top to bottom in the wall I have to open up. The problem is that it's not in the wall with the plumbing which i know has to stay up.
So I have to call bell to come and reroute the cables? (If I plan to use bell for internet i guess would be the smart choice) or can i have my contractor move it to the other wall? I guess I'd bell does it it would be at no cost to me. I'm worried also if I move the cables I may interrupt the units above and below if they use bell.
Images
  • 566782397.jpg
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9061 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Which one is the fiber? They all look liek electrical from the back, but im going to guess and say the middle is the fiber. Also where do you want to move it to? If its long enough to say move on another wall without stressing it the nyou may be able to get your contractor to do it. But if it continues up into another condo then you probably should not touch it. I'm sure bell would charge you just not sure how much but fiber generally is not easy to work with if you just cut the line.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13721 posts
3137 upvotes
London
sickcars wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:08 am
Which one is the fiber? They all look liek electrical from the back, but im going to guess and say the mi..
It all looks like building conduit that belongs to the condo Corp (common elements)

I don’t think you are allowed to change it at all. You need to talk to the condo board about renovations.

They might force you to use their electricians to do any mods

Open the electrical boxes on the other side of the wall and see where the wires go
Last edited by l69norm on Dec 19th, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2283 posts
453 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
the thin white wire in the middle looks like it could be fiber optic
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9061 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If thats the case then it should not be hanging like that lol.

However if you are right it does look like it could go up to another condo so you would not be able to touch that. But if the line ends there if you could probably move it to another wall, just make sure you run conduit to it incase you need to replace it in the future or else you will need to tear up your new floor.
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:23 am
the thin white wire in the middle looks like it could be fiber optic
0_o
<_<
>_>
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2283 posts
453 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
in all honesty that is a terrible picture, show us a better picture a more close up picture of this supposed "fiber" cable preferably a close up and we will give u an idea, It could very well simply be an RJ45 Telephone cable and they put bell fibe sticker on the wall plate to confuse you, a lot of people make these weird assumptions
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8956 posts
5448 upvotes
Edmonton
Bell doesn’t have to move the cable at their cost, I’d guess. If you have them come out to do some work, you’ll probably have to pay. It’s not a maintenance issue. It’s a result of your renovations.

C
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1111 posts
553 upvotes
Barrie ON
Since the OP mentions that he is worried about affecting the units above and below him, I assume he is living in an apartment type condo, and not a townhouse type condo with a 2nd floor.

I wonder why the OP is not concerned about the electrical cables. I imagine each unit has it's own breaker panel, so these multiple feeds passing through the ceiling would not be likely be going to a unit on the next floor. That would require a single feed from the buildings main electrical room where the meters probably are. So where do these electrical feeds go, and how will he move those?
[OP]
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:08 am
Which one is the fiber? They all look liek electrical from the back, but im going to guess and say the middle is the fiber. Also where do you want to move it to? If its long enough to say move on another wall without stressing it the nyou may be able to get your contractor to do it. But if it continues up into another condo then you probably should not touch it. I'm sure bell would charge you just not sure how much but fiber generally is not easy to work with if you just cut the line.
Yes the middle one is the fiber line..
[OP]
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
Rick007 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 10:40 am
Since the OP mentions that he is worried about affecting the units above and below him, I assume he is living in an apartment type condo, and not a townhouse type condo with a 2nd floor.

I wonder why the OP is not concerned about the electrical cables. I imagine each unit has it's own breaker panel, so these multiple feeds passing through the ceiling would not be likely be going to a unit on the next floor. That would require a single feed from the buildings main electrical room where the meters probably are. So where do these electrical feeds go, and how will he move those?

Correct this is a condo unit.
the fiber and other cables doesn't really have an slack to them so moving it myself won't be an option.
whoever did these fiber placement did a terrible job.
the other two ad just electrical that would get re-routed.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
Now I Called Bell directly and advise of the situation and they might want to have a tech sent to reroute the cables.
After taking my address and postal the rep advise i'm ok with moving and cutting any cables inside the unit. I ask if they were sure and they said yes.

So I advise my contractor.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9061 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Unless your contractor knows how to properly splice fiber and so on I would not touch it. Most contractors can barely put a connector on the end of a network cable or rogers cable line.
Pani899 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:19 pm
Now I Called Bell directly and advise of the situation and they might want to have a tech sent to reroute the cables.
After taking my address and postal the rep advise i'm ok with moving and cutting any cables inside the unit. I ask if they were sure and they said yes.

0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2688 posts
447 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Pani899 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:19 pm

If Bell told you that you can cut and re-route the cable I would be willing to bet that is not a fibre line. The reason they told you no tech had to come after they had your address means they figured out your building does not have fibre to the suites, still on copper wire.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2283 posts
453 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
yeah it does not look like fiber to me either, show us a close up so we can validate. show us the wall plate too
Hi
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
Best be careful. We had a contractor doing some work in the basement of our small office building, and they decided to cut some old unused PVC plumbing pipes. Only they weren't unused, and they weren't plumbing. All the building communication cables ran through them. All the businesses in the building lost phone and internet for a week while Telus repaired it. That was expensive!