[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1070 posts
196 upvotes
GTA

Need New glasses. Store options?

Hello,

It is time for new glasses but the shops in my area dont have any frames that I like. I checked the Hakim in heartland and didnt really like the frames they had on sale

Does anyone have suggestions of where I can get some frames and new lens? If you know a place that is currently having a deal, LMK as well so I can check out their selection.

Thanks.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
Heartland? You are in Mississauga?
Try Amazing optical in that Chinese plaza at Burnhamthorpe and Central Pkwy. He's got a small shop but tonnes of selection.
The place Eyestar Optical at SQ1 mall has a lot of nice frames and selection but definitely wait for a sale. They are like Banana Republic in that their "normal" prices are inflated 30-40% and you should only buy on sales.

BTW, I find that eyeglasses in the GTA are really overpriced. I needed safety glasses for work and they were all around $450 in Mississauga. And then I got the exact same thing, same frame, etc., for $269 in Guelph.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3374 posts
360 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 10:06 pm
Heartland? You are in Mississauga?
Try Amazing optical in that Chinese plaza at Burnhamthorpe and Central Pkwy. He's got a small shop but tonnes of selection.
The place Eyestar Optical at SQ1 mall has a lot of nice frames and selection but definitely wait for a sale. They are like Banana Republic in that their "normal" prices are inflated 30-40% and you should only buy on sales.

BTW, I find that eyeglasses in the GTA are really overpriced. I needed safety glasses for work and they were all around $450 in Mississauga. And then I got the exact same thing, same frame, etc., for $269 in Guelph.
anything owned by Luxottica is. That plus most people have insurance so shops that advantage of that too
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
yesstyle wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 10:44 am
anything owned by Luxottica is. That plus most people have insurance so shops that advantage of that too
Speaking of avoiding Luxxotica, you can do so at Costco. Their frames and lenses are actually pretty economical.
I got my current designer brand non-Luxxotica eyeglasses at a small independent place (not in the GTA).
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5798 posts
757 upvotes
Mississauga
Kanda Optical at Eglinton and Confederation has excellent service and a large selection of frames. They'll even special order frames in for you. Im really happy with my glasses I bought from there.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
2891 posts
452 upvotes
London
Another vote for Costco, just picked up two new pairs there this week and love them.
Jun 26, 2016
299 posts
36 upvotes
I have a very strong perscription and always need the thinnest lenses, does that amazing optical or other stores offer that at fair prices? Last glasses I bought was at sears and they are complete garbage.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
joeythecat29 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 4:38 pm
I have a very strong perscription and always need the thinnest lenses, does that amazing optical or other stores offer that at fair prices? Last glasses I bought was at sears and they are complete garbage.
Just go in and get some pricing.
I use 1.67 myself and I paid $130 per lens for Choice Blu Select 1.67 index. So it was $260 for 2 lenses, single-vision.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7610 posts
1030 upvotes
Costco Costco Costco.

Best prices - great service.

BIG profit margins in eye wear. Total racket.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3190 posts
3990 upvotes
Ontario
Akizuki wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 11:38 am
Hello,

It is time for new glasses but the shops in my area dont have any frames that I like. I checked the Hakim in heartland and didnt really like the frames they had on sale

Does anyone have suggestions of where I can get some frames and new lens? If you know a place that is currently having a deal, LMK as well so I can check out their selection.

Thanks.
My obvious question is exactly what style are you looking for in frames?
Surfing 2017.😎 Wins: $50 gc, Starbucks coffee & 40 bonus stars
Apr 1, 2013
401 posts
62 upvotes
BC
yesstyle wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 10:44 am
Luxottica has a monopoly on eye wear. that's why their eye wear sucks and expensive. They make no advance in eye wear material.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1591 posts
159 upvotes
Stay away from the bay

High prices and poor quality
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3374 posts
360 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chekacr9 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:31 pm
Luxottica has a monopoly on eye wear. that's why their eye wear sucks and expensive. They make no advance in eye wear material.
ALL eye wear or just certain brands like Rayban, Prada?
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1070 posts
196 upvotes
GTA
So I went and checked out a couple places. As other have said sq1 was super overpriced even though they the nicest frames. Amazing optical did not hav any glasses I was saw that interested me. This place caters more to the middle aged grp where they don't look too bad but not particularly good. More for the IDGAF people. Last place I checked out was Kanda Optical that opened up recently. This place had frames more to my taste. Ended buying a pair of Rayban Hexagonal Flat frames with lens. Total came around to $320. I also got anti scratch and anti glare for an added cost. All in all had a pretty easy time there as I could jus pick up any frame and try them on without being hassled by the sales person.

Thanks all for the great suggestions!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel