• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2017 4:05 pm
Apr 1, 2013
408 posts
67 upvotes
BC
yesstyle wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:10 pm
ALL eye wear or just certain brands like Rayban, Prada?
Luxottica owns Lenscrafters the largest eye wear retailers in US. All the brand name you see in Lenscrafters are owned by Luxottica.

In January 2017, Luxottica bought Essilor, one of the biggest lens maker. So Luxottica owns the brand name on frames, control the retailers , now they owns the lens. This is total monopoly on eye wear. Does not matter where you go, either your frame, your lens is related to Luxottica.

There are shops that carry Asian brands or European brands that are light in weight, better workmanship. You just have to go to smaller optical store.

If you have big budget, here is a fancy store: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e24894828/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5989 posts
875 upvotes
Mississauga
Akizuki wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:31 pm
So I went and checked out a couple places. As other have said sq1 was super overpriced even though they the nicest frames. Amazing optical did not hav any glasses I was saw that interested me. This place caters more to the middle aged grp where they don't look too bad but not particularly good. More for the IDGAF people. Last place I checked out was Kanda Optical that opened up recently. This place had frames more to my taste. Ended buying a pair of Rayban Hexagonal Flat frames with lens. Total came around to $320. I also got anti scratch and anti glare for an added cost. All in all had a pretty easy time there as I could jus pick up any frame and try them on without being hassled by the sales person.

Thanks all for the great suggestions!
Yeah, I had great luck at Kanda Optical. My glasses were Prada frames, very strong left eye prescription, progressive, and transitional. Costed $575.
When I purchased my glasses, the lens had some scratches that you can't see immediately, but when wearing the glasses it was bothersome. They replaced the lenses without hesitation.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6619 posts
919 upvotes
That is not good, since Essilor owns Clearly Contacts and sells the lens to Costco, these savings will likely disappear with the merger.
chekacr9 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 9:43 am
Luxottica owns Lenscrafters the largest eye wear retailers in US. All the brand name you see in Lenscrafters are owned by Luxottica.

In January 2017, Luxottica bought Essilor, one of the biggest lens maker. So Luxottica owns the brand name on frames, control the retailers , now they owns the lens. This is total monopoly on eye wear. Does not matter where you go, either your frame, your lens is related to Luxottica.

There are shops that carry Asian brands or European brands that are light in weight, better workmanship. You just have to go to smaller optical store.

If you have big budget, here is a fancy store: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e24894828/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18321 posts
3421 upvotes
Thornhill
Any comments or feedback on EyeBuyDirect?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1168 posts
259 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:30 pm
Any comments or feedback on EyeBuyDirect?
Ive tried online glasses store before but without actually trying them on its hard to know what the fit is like unless you can try them in an actual store first.

The only pair of glasses I bought online were too small and it was too much of a hassle to send it back to fix or change them.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16893 posts
1821 upvotes
GTA West
Akizuki wrote:
May 18th, 2017 3:12 pm
Ive tried online glasses store before but without actually trying them on its hard to know what the fit is like unless you can try them in an actual store first.

The only pair of glasses I bought online were too small and it was too much of a hassle to send it back to fix or change them.
+1, the eye size / bridge size / arm length measurements provided by each frame manufacturer are totally inconsistent. They cannot be used to reliably predict whether frames will fit.
Don't waste your time with online eyeglasses unless you already have worn the frame.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2796 posts
213 upvotes
In Mississauga, I like Delta Optical (Square One) - Theo, Kuboraum, LA Eyeworks, Lindberg, Matsuda, Mykita, Dita etc. Not cheap, but great frames, service, and advice.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11781 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
I have a high prescription (-7.5), astigmatism and require progressive lenses. I got a quote from Lenscrafters for $600 for a Ray Ban frame and lenses. The price seems high and I wanted to know what my options were.

My current pair were from Lenscrafters and I have no issues. In fact, these were the best experience I have had as many places didn't take the lens measurements correctly.
Feb 11, 2015
34 posts
Woodbridge, ON
Eyebuydirect.com - Bought 3 from them. Their lower priced ones (around $30) are ok quality but their mid to high prices ones are awesome. high quality glasses including prescription lenses in the same design as rayban clubmasters cost me $150.

Warby Parker - A little pricer than eyebuydirect but still very good. I find their designs more conservative.

Last time I ordered from eyebuydirect, they had a 10 day fit guarantee. Both of these companies have better quality frames and lenses than the $650 rayban glasses I have.
Mar 27, 2015
690 posts
164 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I've bought a couple of pairs, including bi-focals from Clearly and was very happy. Just as happy as my $700++ pair from the Eyeglass Factory. And I've got a strong prescription. My only problem now is that my ophthalmologist will no longer test and give me a prescription, and he's sending me to an optometrist. I'm peeved over this.
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
Your ophthalmologist has better things to do than check your prescription. How about our tax bucks go to saving people's vision and not unnecessary services that you want for free?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
8073 posts
2219 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hightech wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 6:16 pm
I have a high prescription (-7.5), astigmatism and require progressive lenses. I got a quote from Lenscrafters for $600 for a Ray Ban frame and lenses. The price seems high and I wanted to know what my options were.

My current pair were from Lenscrafters and I have no issues. In fact, these were the best experience I have had as many places didn't take the lens measurements correctly.
Sounds like my eyes lol

My lenses alone cost that much. I only ever use Nikon.
Nov 1, 2009
430 posts
51 upvotes
Questions.

I take care of my sunglasses any place in Mississauga that will change the lenses only without having to buy a frame?

My plan is to use my insurance to cover my regular glasses and change my lense on my sunglasses. (limit is $350 every 2yrs)
Oct 12, 2014
76 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON
Anyone recommend Warby Parker glasses? Are they more high end than Prada or Armani?