• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2011 12:01 pm
Tags:
None
May 25, 2011
25 posts
SCARBOROUGH

Need new router recommendations

Hi all, I have a linksys wrt54g v5 router and I am fed up with it. Constantly disconnects and freezes and overheats whenever I torrent. I've tried everything from adding a new fan to it, but the damn thing just isn't stable.

I honestly did not know how I survived with this horrible router but I think it is time to get a new one.

Can anyone give a recommendataions? Preferably has wireless G and N, don't need NAS capability.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Do a search for routers on their forum because a few Every week pop up so you will find MANY recommendations.

Also update you're firmware if you have not already as that will problem fix you're problem, I dont think its an overheating issue, its a firmware issue which is why most tech ppl buy a router that supports 3rd party firmware and install it since this does not happen on those.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1784 posts
1108 upvotes
+1 for routers which support 3rd party firmware.

My favourite: Tomato and DD-WRT
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
8MB RAM and 2MB flash .... I guess DD-WRT micro is the only choice ...
May 25, 2011
25 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I'll try the DD-WRT micro, but I guess this router is showing its age. We'll see how much more stable it is.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
dmc1024 wrote: I'll try the DD-WRT micro, but I guess this router is showing its age. We'll see how much more stable it is.

Good idea, but it should make a difference.

Either way post back and tell us you're results.

Thanks
May 25, 2011
25 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Well after about 4 years my WRT54Gv5 is dead, flash failed. Now I definitely need a new router.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
dmc1024 wrote: Well after about 4 years my WRT54Gv5 is dead, flash failed. Now I definitely need a new router.

Well thats not good, you must of made an accident when flashing it.

My suggestions for good routers are as follows.

Wireless G:
Linksys WRT54GL
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=17408&vpn ... re=Linksys

Wireless N:
Asus RT-N16
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45265&vpn ... cture=ASUS

Dont forget you can price match at ncix.com so see if you can find it for cheaper which you should be able to.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
I would also suggest ASUS WL520GU. It can be flashed with DD-WRT and/or Tomato. It is very reliable and stable. It is only wifi G but if it's more than enough.

BTW I have a new router WL-520GU, I bought as backup but not used yet. PM me if you are interested for more info.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
teoconca wrote: It is only wifi G but if it's more than enough.

BTW I have a new router WL-520GU, I bought as backup but not used yet. PM me if you are interested for more info.

How can you claim it's more than enough when you have absolutely no idea how OP wants to use it with and he specifically says he's looking for N? Oh right...missed the part about you trying to offload the crap.

a.No SPAM/Advertising. This includes promoting a company or service in your signature or sending unsolicited messages through the Private Messaging system. If you wish to promote your company, please contact biz@redflagdeals.com. This also includes posting your BST listings or items for sale in any forum outside of the Buy, Sell, and Trade.
May 25, 2011
25 posts
SCARBOROUGH
sickcars wrote: Well thats not good, you must of made an accident when flashing it.

My suggestions for good routers are as follows.

Wireless G:
Linksys WRT54GL
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=17408&vpn ... re=Linksys

Wireless N:
Asus RT-N16
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45265&vpn ... cture=ASUS

Dont forget you can price match at ncix.com so see if you can find it for cheaper which you should be able to.

This WRT54GL, is it better than the WRT54G? The router is still pretty old. Is it outdated already?
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
I just bought a Netgear WNDR3700 here. Great price for a really good router. I upgraded from a D-Link DIR-655 and the increase in performance is significant. There is third party firmware too, but I read that the Netgear firmware is actually better so that's what I'm using.

I posted a little review here if you're interested.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
dmc1024 wrote: This WRT54GL, is it better than the WRT54G? The router is still pretty old. Is it outdated already?
This linksys is very good, the L stands for Linux because it can easily take firmware like DD-WRT to make it much better. It's what I have been using for years and give it to many of my clients. & it is an older model but its very good.

But if you want wireless N then i would go for the Asus router which is also very good and reliable & it can also take DD-WRT firmware. I would suggest the asus.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Agree with some of the RFDers :arrowu: ...

.11g ... Asus WL-520GU
.11n ... Asus RT-N16

Of course, I assume you are planning to put Tomato (or DD-WRT) on it. They are good (I own both).
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
dmc1024 wrote: Well after about 4 years my WRT54Gv5 is dead, flash failed. Now I definitely need a new router.
BTW, what went wrong ?

Have you tried to flash it with TFTP to revive it ?