Automotive

Need new tires for Honda Accord 205/60 R16 - best value for money?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2010 8:00 am
Tags:
None
Feb 15, 2007
511 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto

Need new tires for Honda Accord 205/60 R16 - best value for money?

What would be the best value for the money in tires size 205/60 R16 91V.
Car is 2004 Accord with 150 000 km and still runs on the original Michelin MXV4 Energy tires (I do use winter tires too).
So should I go for another set of Michelins (MXV4 Primacy or Energy) - both quite pricey....or is there another tire with the same thread life for less money?
The best I could find on the Michelins is about $170 + tax + $5.84 Ontario tire fee.

Thanks.
23 replies
Mar 17, 2010
600 posts
24 upvotes
behind your left sho…
For years, I always focused on Michlen tires. Always had good luck with this brand. Especially with this M/S brand. For my previous vehicle that I only planned to keep for 1 more year, I didn't want to spend the "big bucks" on Michlens. So, I went with a different "lower cost" brand instead. I used Hurcules "Ultra Touring TR" brand (re: http://www.herculestireca.com/catalogHe ... TourTR.asp ) and they worked great.

During your purchase comparison, do compare the Hurcules brand tires instead. re: http://www.herculestireca.com/catalogHe ... gIndex.asp

Good luck on which ever brand you do select...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
chocho111 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2010 5:24 pm
Car is 2004 Accord with 150 000 km and still runs on the original Michelin MXV4 Energy tires (I do use winter tires too).
So should I go for another set of Michelins (MXV4 Primacy or Energy) - both quite pricey....or is there another tire with the same thread life for less money?
The best I could find on the Michelins is about $170 + tax + $5.84 Ontario tire fee. Thanks.
Sourcing your tires from the U.S. - if that's feasible for you - would likely be a lot cheaper.
Jun 2, 2007
356 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
yea i just put hercules mr IV on my car, 225 60 16, for 425 installed tax in. they seem to be good tires too!
Mar 18, 2007
699 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm in the exact same boat as you OP. Just to add...what are the more quieter options in terms of all season tires....I keep hearing about falkens and such but don't really know much about the quieter tires that perform well. If someone could expand on that, it would be great.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8635 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
Falken ZE912. Great balance between treadlife, grip/performance and price.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
3303 posts
395 upvotes
Mississauga
chocho111 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2010 5:24 pm
The best I could find on the Michelins is about $170 + tax + $5.84 Ontario tire fee.

Thanks.
I too, have always used Michelin MXV4 tires in 205/60/16 91V sizes and have to change my tires in about a month or so. I have to say though, that the Michelins have been very good tires. I get phenomenal fuel economy with them. However, I think I am going to give the Yokohama ENVigor's a whirl. They are more inexpensive compared to the Michelins and have a longer treadlife rating. Most likely going to get them at Tires23 before May 31st, as that's when the Yokohama Canada rebate program ends (I believe).
ekashyap wrote:
Apr 18th, 2010 6:44 pm
I'm in the exact same boat as you OP. Just to add...what are the more quieter options in terms of all season tires....I keep hearing about falkens and such but don't really know much about the quieter tires that perform well. If someone could expand on that, it would be great.
The Michelin MXV4 are actually a very quiet tire. ;)
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 10:50 am
The Michelin MXV4 are actually a very quiet tire. ;)
You should be more specific, because the "MXV4" is used on several very different models. The Energy MXV4 is quite bad, yet the Primacy MXV4 is quite good.

Check out the Yokohama AVID TRZ... my buddy has these on his Camry and they are exceptionally quiet. Should be pretty durable too.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
3303 posts
395 upvotes
Mississauga
KorruptioN wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 10:56 am
You should be more specific, because the "MXV4" is used on several very different models. The Energy MXV4 is quite bad, yet the Primacy MXV4 is quite good.

Check out the Yokohama AVID TRZ... my buddy has these on his Camry and they are exceptionally quiet. Should be pretty durable too.
Yes, sorry, I meant the Primacy.

Someone told me the AVID ENVigor is even better than the TRZ, which was their best AVID tire. But who knows, the ENVigors are new. Great price point - not sure if they are more than the TRZ or not. But the ENVigors are moving like crazy according to TireRack dealer reps.
[OP]
Feb 15, 2007
511 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Guys,
greatly appreciate your input.
What prices are you getting on the Yokohama Avid Envigor?
Just read a bit on that tire and reviews are pretty positive.
Willing to give it serious attention if it gets me much cheaper total than the Michelin MXV4 Primacy.
Would the tread expectancy be about the same?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
3303 posts
395 upvotes
Mississauga
chocho111 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 11:27 am
Thanks Guys,
greatly appreciate your input.
What prices are you getting on the Yokohama Avid Envigor?
Just read a bit on that tire and reviews are pretty positive.
Willing to give it serious attention if it gets me much cheaper total than the Michelin MXV4 Primacy.
Would the tread expectancy be about the same?

Thanks
Hey, not sure where you're located. But I believe at Tires23 a set of four installed, taxes, in and everything for the Yokoham Avid ENVigor V-speed rated (it's also available in H-speed rating for a little cheaper) was around $600. You should call them just to double check though.

If you are willing to go with H-speed rating (a little softer tirewall, it might be about $10 cheaper per tire). Also, on top of that there is a Yokohama Canada mail-in tire rebate, which is $60 for a set of four 16" tires. So definitely quite a bit cheaper than a set of Primacy MXV4's. I thought the treadwear rating was like 740 or something, which is quite a bit higher than that of the Primacy MXV4 (660 or so...don't remember exactly off-hand).
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I thought the Envigor was replacing the also-excellent H4S/V4S/W4S? It is more of a performance-oriented all-season (oxymoron, I know, but I autocrossed on them!) than the TRZ was (more of a comfort/quiet tire).

You can't compare treadwear ratings between different manufacturers... but the TRZ will probably last the longest of the bunch. The Primacy MXV4 "should" last longer than the Envigor but not as long as the TRZ.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
the michelin mxv4's are really expensive tire.
I'd go with continental extremecontact DWS (UHP)
looks affordable at tirerack.

the pirelli p zero nero's are outperform the conti's but are more expensive.
The conti's will be my next tire in a year or two, unless they or someone elses comes out with a better and affordable tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... p?ttid=124

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... p?ttid=119
[OP]
Feb 15, 2007
511 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 3:40 pm
I thought the Envigor was replacing the also-excellent H4S/V4S/W4S? It is more of a performance-oriented all-season (oxymoron, I know, but I autocrossed on them!) than the TRZ was (more of a comfort/quiet tire).

You can't compare treadwear ratings between different manufacturers... but the TRZ will probably last the longest of the bunch. The Primacy MXV4 "should" last longer than the Envigor but not as long as the TRZ.

I am not a tire expert by any means but after couple hours of research into this matter and talking to several tire dealers in the GTA all of them said the Envigor is better tire(than TRZ). Lighter, better mileage and longer tread life..."15% lower rolling resistance for improved fuel economy and longer wear, plus offers better traction in dry, wet & snow conditions."
Most importantly the Envigor comes with V rating where the TRZ does not. I preffer the V rating as this is what I have on my car now as OEM tires.
I guess using them over next 5-6 years will show best :lol:

By the way I managed to get some real good quotes (in true RFD fashion;-) :twisted: and best one was $548 out the door everything included.
Not every dealer has them but those who don't can get them within 24 hrs.

Hope this info helps others in the same boat as me :idea:
Apr 25, 2007
119 posts
26 upvotes
GTA
I'm in the same boat. Looking to replace my Michelin 205/60 R16 91V tires.

Come next winter, I'll have to replace my Michelin snow tires also. I don't really want to get 2 sets of new tires for a Year 2000 car, which I'll probably be selling in 2 years. I'm thinking of getting new All-season tires now - one that is good in the snow and forget about snow tires.

How is the Michelin Primacy MXV4 in the snow?
I've heard that Hankook H727 Optimo is better in the snow. Anyone has experience with Hankook?
Any other suggestions? Thanks
× < >