Home & Garden

Need a new wet dry vacuum - any recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 6:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5046 posts
727 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Need a new wet dry vacuum - any recommendations?

and what specifically should I look for.

Last one I had was a Craftsman and it lasted quite a long time.

Things to look for that come to mind:
1. Good suction
2. Quiet
3. swivel top for hose sounds useful
4. make sure I can get replacement filters readily
5. Solid construction
6. Plastic or stainless steel canister - is either one better?

Haven't quite decided on the size yet - that's not too critical but I don't want it to be too cumbersome and take a lot of storage space. It should probably hold about a pail of water
8 replies
Sep 2, 2005
672 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
quiet will be pretty much impossible.

i have a compact ridigid with wheels. works great and has survived a whole house demo.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
1960 posts
210 upvotes
Ridgid. Any one of those with at least rated for 5hp or more. They easily outperform any household vacuums and are comparable to central vacs.

Ridgid Vacuum
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8975 posts
5457 upvotes
Edmonton
We picked up this one when doing our house reno project, and it survived fine. Now, it feels too big and cumbersome, to be honest. I wish we had a smaller one. Takes up too much space in the garage, too tall, awkward going up and down stairs...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.60-l ... 27658.html

But boy, does it suck! :) But it's definitely NOT quiet.

C
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5046 posts
727 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Thanks for the comments so far.

For some reason I was under the impression that Ridgit is one of the cheaper Chinese brands to stay away from....but obviously not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8975 posts
5457 upvotes
Edmonton
krs wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 1:34 pm
Thanks for the comments so far.

For some reason I was under the impression that Ridgit is one of the cheaper Chinese brands to stay away from....but obviously not.
One thing that's nice about the Ridgid is the warrantee, and from what I've heard, they are good about honoring it. Full lifetime warranty against defects.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1271 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
I own a couple of Rigid vacs. The first one I bought about 10 years ago it's been a beast been through so many renos. Usually Home depot has special buys on them so if u can wait I'm sure u can get a really good deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3226 posts
766 upvotes
Oshawa
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Aug 4, 2006
488 posts
175 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
zaius wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 5:50 am
quiet will be pretty much impossible.

i have a compact ridigid with wheels. works great and has survived a whole house demo.
For a quieter vac ... just put on sound muffler like the ones that they use for central vacs. You can buy that at the big box stores. Then buy the necessary size piping to attach to exhaust port. For me on my shop vac it was an elbow. To make the fit tight ... a few wraps around the perimeter of the elbow with electrical tape and I am good to good. It doesn't make it silent but it does cut down on the noise and the high pitch whine from the motor.