None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1445 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

In need of an office chair WITH lumbar support

Hi RFD Members,

I am in need of a task chair with lumbar support, and the only one's I found are at least $100. Is that the lowest price for these kinds of chairs? Anyone here able to direct me to a store that sells those Mesh black back chair with those back support like the one below?

http://www.costco.ca/Carlos--Black-Task ... 06862.html

The one below is very tempting because of the fact that it's $70 off, but I am quite skeptical of the original $170 pricing.
http://www.staples.ca/en/Office-Star-Me ... ze=certona
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1542 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary
Most "brand name" ones will go $500+.

I would say $100 is the minimum and expect to replace it in a few years.

Check out the Ikea version for $100 too.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/produ ... /S39894447

For the sake of $10, out of these three, I would go for the Costco one myself, just for the warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
8119 posts
602 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
It's easier to add an Obus foam back support, just sayin. I use one and have it for 1.5yrs so far, no issues. My pharmacist sells it to me for $50 cash deal.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
May 22, 2013
214 posts
32 upvotes
blitzforce wrote:
May 31st, 2013 7:27 pm
The one below is very tempting because of the fact that it's $70 off, but I am quite skeptical of the original $170 pricing.
http://www.staples.ca/en/Office-Star-Me ... ze=certona
I'm not clear on why you're skeptical of the original pricing . . . seems about typical to me for a big-box-store chair with those features. Bear in mind it is a more deluxe version with more adjustments. If you look on the Costco website you'll see their Item # 259483 is a very similar chair to the one at Staples, and -- oh look! -- they sell it for around $170, just like Staples (I wouldn't be at all surprised if they both came from the same manufacturer in China.)

Anyway, if you are concerned about lumbar support it probably makes sense to go with one that -- at a minimum -- has variable backrest tension. You also shouldn't underestimate the value of height-adjustable armrests -- provided they're not too wobbly (VERY annoying.)

Probably a good idea to go down to Staples to see if they have an assembled unit on the floor you can try sitting in for a couple of hours, rather than just ordering one for delivery sight-unseen.
Aug 22, 2010
881 posts
73 upvotes
AxisRey wrote:
May 31st, 2013 11:30 pm
I'm not clear on why you're skeptical of the original pricing . . . seems about typical to me for a big-box-store chair with those features. Bear in mind it is a more deluxe version with more adjustments. If you look on the Costco website you'll see their Item # 259483 is a very similar chair to the one at Staples, and -- oh look! -- they sell it for around $170, just like Staples (I wouldn't be at all surprised if they both came from the same manufacturer in China.)

Anyway, if you are concerned about lumbar support it probably makes sense to go with one that -- at a minimum -- has variable backrest tension. You also shouldn't underestimate the value of height-adjustable armrests -- provided they're not too wobbly (VERY annoying.)

Probably a good idea to go down to Staples to see if they have an assembled unit on the floor you can try sitting in for a couple of hours, rather than just ordering one for delivery sight-unseen.
Not the same chair
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3500 posts
83 upvotes
Montreal
after years of trying different chairs, I came to the conclusion that I need to do Yoga.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
May 22, 2013
214 posts
32 upvotes
Crossover wrote:
May 31st, 2013 11:55 pm
Not the same chair
I didn't say it was the same chair. I said it was similar.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1445 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
cloneman wrote:
Jun 1st, 2013 12:57 am
after years of trying different chairs, I came to the conclusion that I need to do Yoga.
Haha, but jokes aside, nowadays office chairs are so expensive now. With a few adjustments, and retailers will charge an extra 50% of the price tag of a similar chair without the few adjustments.
Dec 14, 2009
91 posts
13 upvotes
Kelowna
XS cargo has some chairs like that for a little under 100. I bought a big plush office chair from the m quite some years ago, that is still going strong.
× < >