Need Opinions/Suggestions on Fighting Speeding Ticket

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2014 2:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 13, 2014
4 posts

Need Opinions/Suggestions on Fighting Speeding Ticket

Hello!
I've had my G2 for about a month now, kinda sucks cus I just got a speeding ticket last friday for going 145km/h on a 100km/h limit (401 towards Waterloo).
Since I'm pretty new to driving and new to Ontario, I'm guessing this ticket will be one price-y one.
I have insurance with Belair Direct (anyone have speeding experience with them?), and I'm just really scared of the insurance company as I've heard Belair is known to increase monthly rates like crazy!
I've been considering to fight this ticket, but at 45km/h over the speed limit, I'm not sure I can do anything that won't double my insurance premium.
I would normally ask my parents about this issue, but they don't live in Canada, and would probably get pretty pissed.
Please share your opinions/suggestions, they would be very helpful!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3300 posts
169 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Ah fight it and hope the insurance company doesnt know about it before the next renewal...
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2114 posts
407 upvotes
Fight it, get a reduction as much as possible, pay it, learn, move one.

Slow down... it is cheaper...
[OP]
Nov 13, 2014
4 posts
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm probably going to have to hire a traffic lawyer to help me with this, still a young kid. Any recommendations?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2093 posts
786 upvotes
Another 5/km over the limit and you could have been fined for stunt driving and had your car impounded.
145km an hour? Way to drive! :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]145km an hour? Way to drive![/QUOTE]

Yeah eh! New driver doing 45 over, GREAT!

Anybody DOING 45 OVER :facepalm:
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4883 posts
1050 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Accident start with a driver like you OP. I hope one day they will end up new law Revoking Driver License for the offense.
1. Highway Speeding over the limits
2. DUI
3. Distracted Driving Using Electronics Gadgets.
4. Fraud

Freedom Mobile

Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2576 posts
645 upvotes
Vaughan
Don't listen to what everyone is saying. Definitely get a court date and fight it. Just by showing up to court, they will drop the charge much lower (probably to 19 over) to encourage you to plea guilty. By going to court, worst case scenario is it is dropped to 29 over and best case is the cop doesn't show up. Also, try to make sure to get your G asap, will definitely help with demerit points and insurance.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2014
4 posts
why you gotta be so negative. i'm a kid, kids make mistakes. don't tell me you've never made a mistake in your life. Driving a little fast has nothing to do with not caring about people, it's not like I was drinking and driving. Put your money where your mouth is, everyone in the world is selfish.
Nov 2, 2014
939 posts
281 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Make sure you show up to court to fight it. The crown will reduce it right off the bat. If you want to go to trail that is your choice. If you go to court, the ticket will not appear on your MVR until you are actually convicted of it. That takes many months. In that time hopefully you can obtain your full G license so if you are eventually convicted of it (hopefully at a reduced amount) the increase on insurance won't be as bad since you will now have a G rather than a G2.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9085 posts
1725 upvotes
Somewhere
JimmyG879 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 11:54 am
why you gotta be so negative. i'm a kid, kids make mistakes. don't tell me you've never made a mistake in your life. Driving a little fast has nothing to do with not caring about people, it's not like I was drinking and driving. Put your money where your mouth is, everyone in the world is selfish.
This post makes it absolutely clear that you're a kid without you having to say it.
:confused:
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
JimmyG879 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 11:54 am
Driving "a little fast" is going slightly over the speed limit. You were going 45 km/hour over the speed limit. People do make mistakes, but now you get to live with the consequences. Higher insurance rates are better than killing someone, or yourself by driving so irresponsibly.