• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2012 2:50 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 11, 2003
712 posts
123 upvotes

Need Phone line wiring help

Backstory: Ditched Bell for a VOIP.ms. I want to connect my Wire Distribution Device to a modular jack so that I can make all of the jacks in the house live.

Pic of the WDD with the house wiring attached:
[IMG] http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/phonene.jpg/[/IMG]

How would I wire a jack to this so that I can connect a phone wire from the VOIP adapter to the home phone line system?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22164 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Reload you pic or post a link.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Step 1: Label the incoming Bell line to show which wire goes to which contact in the junction box (in case you forget, or for the next home owner for future re-connection).
Step 2: Disconnect the Bell line and tape up the wire ends, so it's no longer connected to your home phone wiring.
Step 3: Plug your VoIP ATA into any phone jack in the house. Every jack is connected to all the others.

As an alternative that some people prefer, take advantage of the fact that all your home phone wiring has 2 pairs, allowing for 2 phone lines. Re-wire the phone jack at your ATA and at every other spot where you want to plug in a VoIP phone to use Line 2.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Just plug your ATA into the Demarc in the basement or plug it into an existing jack that is remote in the house.

If you plug it into a remote jack, you will probably get the most of the jacks to work if not all of them.
Feb 11, 2003
712 posts
123 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Reload you pic or post a link.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/phonene.jpg

The Large Red Cable on the left (Yellow and black) is the Bell line coming in.

I will try to plug the ATA into an unused telephone jack and see if the rest go live.

I'd still appreciate some guidance as to have a jack installed at this distribution point if anyone can add to this.

Thanks
Nov 28, 2007
184 posts
19 upvotes
Halifax
Do you have DSL or cable internet? What about an alarm system? Your solution changes depending on these answers. What JamesA1 said will work if you have cable internet but if you have an alarm system (which it looks like you do), it won't be hooked up correctly but still work.
Feb 11, 2003
712 posts
123 upvotes
mhardy85 wrote: Do you have DSL or cable internet? What about an alarm system? Your solution changes depending on these answers. What JamesA1 said will work if you have cable internet but if you have an alarm system (which it looks like you do), it won't be hooked up correctly but still work.
there is an old alarm system hooked up to it thats not being used. Also, rogers cable is the internet/tv provider. Hope that clarifies the situation!
Nov 28, 2007
184 posts
19 upvotes
Halifax
JamesA1's instructions will work. Just pull the black and yellow wire off to disconnect the bell line. You can then plug your ATA into a phone jack and they'll all be active.
Feb 11, 2003
712 posts
123 upvotes
up and running. thanks for the easy fix guys!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)