Parenting & Family

Need a place to install infant carseat ASAP...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2011 1:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto

Need a place to install infant carseat ASAP...

...so my sister had her baby sooner than expected and we're looking for a place that is either free or charges (hoping its not more than $20) that can install it asap. I called various places I found through google but looks like most dont have a clinic until next month. Is there any place that does it through appointments anytime??
20 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2973 posts
302 upvotes
Most vehicle manuals have this info in them . With newer vehicles i cant see this taking very long if you DIY .
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
Just read the manual, instructions are provided on how to install it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks I was able to find a nice constable to do it this afternoon. I guess if they help you know its done properly, afterall they are the ones who like to handout tickets for carseats not installed properly right? :lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
Well, you already got a constable to help you. But here's the info that would be handy for others, too

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety ... oose.shtml

Scroll down to "How Do I Know the Seat is Installed Correctly?"

Here in the US, many AAA branch would provide free inspections and hands-on demo upon request. CAA may have something like this too?
Oct 4, 2010
75 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I googled and found this place who comes to your house to install.. I used to have to drive all the way to bayview and Eglinton to the car seat installation center to have it done( they were recommended by the Toronto police).. The seats are installed very sturdy..
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies guys...I have another question. So sisters carseat is installed and since it's actually ours we got the sunshine XT installed in our car at the same time. The problem is currently we only have the sunshine XT for our 9 month old son, but we are taking our infant carseat back to use to for our baby we are expecting in 3 months. So they both have to be in our 2009 ML350, but the constable said because our middle seat in the suv has a armrest that can come down we cannot install a carseat there...which leaves 2 carseats in two ends of the car. But with having a c-section it will be really hard for me to get into the middle of the car for the first few weeks....so are we stuck with this position or can we do something to make the middle part safe for a carseat??? That way they would be beside eachother and I will be on the side.

Summer2003 : Feel free to post the name of the place so others can use them :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
No, you're not supposed to install in the middle of the back seat if there is a folding armrest that drops down.

But am I missing something? Why do you need to squeeze into the backseat?!?
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
mmhassa2 wrote: Thanks for the replies guys...I have another question. So sisters carseat is installed and since it's actually ours we got the sunshine XT installed in our car at the same time. The problem is currently we only have the sunshine XT for our 9 month old son, but we are taking our infant carseat back to use to for our baby we are expecting in 3 months. So they both have to be in our 2009 ML350, but the constable said because our middle seat in the suv has a armrest that can come down we cannot install a carseat there...which leaves 2 carseats in two ends of the car. But with having a c-section it will be really hard for me to get into the middle of the car for the first few weeks....so are we stuck with this position or can we do something to make the middle part safe for a carseat??? That way they would be beside eachother and I will be on the side.

Summer2003 : Feel free to post the name of the place so others can use them :)

you cannot have the 2 car seats TOUCHING each other. with regards to the arm rest, because it is not lockable if you get into an accident, there is a chance of it coming down on the infant seat. we had the same problem on the xc90. however, on the xc90, there is a integrated child seat booster.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
steve-0101 wrote: No, you're not supposed to install in the middle of the back seat if there is a folding armrest that drops down.

But am I missing something? Why do you need to squeeze into the backseat?!?

Well the first few weeks I stay at the back with the babe just because they are so tiny. And the fact our son will be one, keeping a newborn that close to him just scares me even more. Thanks for the response looks like we have to make this arrangement work for us....cant seem to convince hubby to just get a van. It would make life so much easier.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
x95zsk wrote: you cannot have the 2 car seats TOUCHING each other. with regards to the arm rest, because it is not lockable if you get into an accident, there is a chance of it coming down on the infant seat. we had the same problem on the xc90. however, on the xc90, there is a integrated child seat booster.

You know your comment got me thinking....The radian XT is promoted as the only carseat that can be installed 3 in the back row...how would that work?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1338 posts
52 upvotes
Please read the car seat manuals and your vehicle manual in regards to seat-belt, anchors and eventually tethers. You have 2 rear facing car seats you need to install, what is the issue exactly? In most cases you will have rear facing car seat on each side. Like you said you can't install it in the middle so whats the issue?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2973 posts
302 upvotes
Hybrid88 wrote: Please read the car seat manuals and your vehicle manual in regards to seat-belt, anchors and eventually tethers. You have 2 rear facing car seats you need to install, what is the issue exactly? In most cases you will have rear facing car seat on each side. Like you said you can't install it in the middle so whats the issue?

As posted , read the manual . It`s not really a big deal .
Apr 9, 2004
393 posts
158 upvotes
London
x95zsk wrote: you cannot have the 2 car seats TOUCHING each other
Actually, that is incorrect. They can touch as long as they are independently secure.

Regarding getting car seats side by side, it really depends on the vehicle as well as the seat. It does not have to be Radians. I installed a Britax Marathon and Graco Safeseat beside each other last week in a Ford Explorer. There was so much space back there almost anything would fit.

When trying to fit 2 seats beside one another you're more likely to fit using a seatbelt install vs a latch/UAS install. Infant seats also tend to take up less space when using them baseless (if your model permits).

Your vehicle manual will state if the middle of the back seat is an allowable carseat location.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Rtfm
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
hmmm....that's not what the OPP clinic told me. they moved my seat from the middle to the passenger side

oddduck wrote: Actually, that is incorrect. They can touch as long as they are independently secure.

Regarding getting car seats side by side, it really depends on the vehicle as well as the seat. It does not have to be Radians. I installed a Britax Marathon and Graco Safeseat beside each other last week in a Ford Explorer. There was so much space back there almost anything would fit.

When trying to fit 2 seats beside one another you're more likely to fit using a seatbelt install vs a latch/UAS install. Infant seats also tend to take up less space when using them baseless (if your model permits).

Your vehicle manual will state if the middle of the back seat is an allowable carseat location.
Apr 9, 2004
393 posts
158 upvotes
London
I found an online copy of your user manual.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAsse ... 0_ml63.pdf

There is no mention of not being able to install car seats in the middle of the back seat. It does mention that LATCH (both lower and top anchors) are available outboard. The middle seat does have a top tether anchor though which would indicate it is a suitable car seat location. Carseats can be installed either by the seatbelt or UAS/LATCH - one is not safer then the other. I have no idea why an officer would have said not to use the centre position though. Are you sure he was certified? Not many firefighters/officers are, and if they are many are not current.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
mmhassa2 wrote: ...so my sister had her baby sooner than expected and we're looking for a place that is either free or charges (hoping its not more than $20) that can install it asap. I called various places I found through google but looks like most dont have a clinic until next month. Is there any place that does it through appointments anytime??

Hello OP,

Have you found someone?

I"m available tomorrow morning.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.