Travel

Need Recommendation for NY Trip. Where to stay !

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2018 5:09 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
For a 2 year old... three words -> The Lego Store!

Also, if the little guy likes dinosaurs, the American Museum of Natural History should be a good spot. Maybe see "Night at the museum" before you go as it was based at the museum.

Getting into the actual Statue of Liberty might be tough as you need tickets and those tickets are typically sold out well in advance. As for seeing the Statue, take the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park as it swings right by it and the ferry is free! Note there are three different types of ferries - one of them has an open air observation area where you can go outside and have a better view!
Aug 20, 2017
94 posts
70 upvotes
Hi All !

Just wanted to share an update. We did our NYC trip last week, drive to NYC from Toronto, stayed in the La Quinta on 350 Lighting Way . It was a memorable trip. The rain did cause a bit delay but nothing major. We visited Madame Tussauds, Statue of Liberty and more, and ate at Lombardi's, Julianas and Razza's Pizza. Once again, THANK YOU to each one who responded to this post as without your insights, this was not possible.

Taking the ferry from NJ side was the best advice. no delays at all !!

THANK YOU !! THANK YOU !! THANK YOU !!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
Swammingo wrote: Hi All !

Just wanted to share an update. We did our NYC trip last week, drive to NYC from Toronto, stayed in the La Quinta on 350 Lighting Way . It was a memorable trip. The rain did cause a bit delay but nothing major. We visited Madame Tussauds, Statue of Liberty and more, and ate at Lombardi's, Julianas and Razza's Pizza. Once again, THANK YOU to each one who responded to this post as without your insights, this was not possible.

Glad your trip went well. NYC is great place to visit. Could you post your hotel cost/rate at LaQuinta and Ferry rate (and timing) for others considering going to NYC.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
I know this is old but I'd add my two cents...

The Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City is super handy. https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/countr ... ueens.html

It's super close to 3 subway stations with access to 7 subway lines. It's more convenient than being in Manhattan if you're going to take the subway everywhere!

It's easy to drive in to as you go around Manhattan to get there. There is a private parking lot across the street that was like $12-$14 a day a few years ago and is probably a bit more expensive now.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote: I know this is old but I'd add my two cents...

The Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City is super handy. https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/countr ... ueens.html

It's super close to 3 subway stations with access to 7 subway lines. It's more convenient than being in Manhattan if you're going to take the subway everywhere!

It's easy to drive in to as you go around Manhattan to get there. There is a private parking lot across the street that was like $12-$14 a day a few years ago and is probably a bit more expensive now.
This looks nice. We stayed at the Four Points further down 27th street last month and I can only describe that as 'adequate'. This place is closer to the subway and the rooms look to be bigger and nicer.

The La Quinta Inn Queens isn't too far away from this and that's also very nice, but it's only along the 7 line instead of being at the convergence point of the 3 lines at Queensboro plaza, so it's a bit less convenient to get around from there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Swammingo wrote:

I'm surprised that the ferry was a better choice considering NJ Transit stops right in front of the hotel and it's 20 minutes by bus into Port Authority.

A question about La Quinta.
We've stayed there 2X. The second time, the elevators weren't working reliably and the carpets were pretty worn. Did they fix them?
Phils
Aug 20, 2017
94 posts
70 upvotes
Phils wrote: I'm surprised that the ferry was a better choice considering NJ Transit stops right in front of the hotel and it's 20 minutes by bus into Port Authority.

A question about La Quinta.
We've stayed there 2X. The second time, the elevators weren't working reliably and the carpets were pretty worn. Did they fix them?
Yup ! It was a really nice stay. No elevator issues, carpets looked new. We got the room on 8th floor ( not sure if that makes any difference ).
Aug 20, 2017
94 posts
70 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Glad your trip went well. NYC is great place to visit. Could you post your hotel cost/rate at LaQuinta and Ferry rate (and timing) for others considering going to NYC.
We got the hotel rate avg 170 cad per night. Booked via expedia. The ferry cost was 28 ( we booked pedestial too ) and as we booked online, we took the 1 pm slot, but if you reach there early, they let you in. As we took transit, we had a 20 min walk in the NJ park as the ferry's depart from the other end, where there is an old rail station.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
Piro21 wrote: This looks nice. We stayed at the Four Points further down 27th street last month and I can only describe that as 'adequate'. This place is closer to the subway and the rooms look to be bigger and nicer.

The La Quinta Inn Queens isn't too far away from this and that's also very nice, but it's only along the 7 line instead of being at the convergence point of the 3 lines at Queensboro plaza, so it's a bit less convenient to get around from there.
It's not by any means nice, I'd say it's Adequate too. I think I paid $88 per night in February for the place and was very happy. I'd probably be a bit more upset if I paid the $200-$400 rates they often have.

It's clean and comfortable, the rooms are small-ish for NYC. Upgrading to the 'City View" isn't worth it.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Last minute trip planned for my daughter and I from the 28th to the 2nd to ring in the New year @Times Square. So far booked nice direct Air Canada flights to La Guardia. Our first time there so I am looking to book the hotels and other must do things now. Very last minute but due to uncertain health issues I can not plan ahead. Read the thread and noted some points, exploring booking through price line or directly through SPG or Hilton etc. Any trip I take is always made perfect with the help of seasoned travelers on RFD so thanks in advance :D.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)