• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2020 5:00 pm
Jan 21, 2012
163 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto

Need to replace shower mixer - please advise

Hi,

The mixer valve of my shower is broken and needs to be replaced. As shown in the picture the existing valve is a no-name brand.

1. How much should it cost me for the labor?
2. Could you recommend a few good value brands to replace the mixer?
3. Do I need to change the whole shower setup or would changing only the valve would be enough?

Edit: There is access behind the shower and the drywall can be cut opened. The lower handle is rotating freely.

Thanks
Images
  • Shower1.jpg
  • Shower 2.jpg
  • Shower3.jpg
Last edited by RaOne1 on Jan 6th, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
What's on the back side of the shower? The wall will need to be opened up from the other side to replace the set, unless you're just replacing cartridges etc.

Nobody can guess what 'broken' means to know what you need to replace.

Those two small valves on either side of the main cartridge are the supply shutoffs - looks like the hot is already off (slot is perpendicular to the pipe). You close those, and the main cartridge can be removed and replaced.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
RaOne1 wrote: Hi,

The mixer valve of my shower is broken and needs to be replaced. As shown in the picture the existing valve is a no-name brand.

1. How much should it cost me for the labor?
2. Could you recommend a few good value brands to replace the mixer?
3. Do I need to change the whole shower setup or would changing only the valve would be enough?

Thanks
What are your symptoms that make you think it's broken?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 21, 2012
163 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: What's on the back side of the shower? The wall will need to be opened up from the other side to replace the set, unless you're just replacing cartridges etc.

Nobody can guess what 'broken' means to know what you need to replace.

Those two small valves on either side of the main cartridge are the supply shutoffs - looks like the hot is already off (slot is perpendicular to the pipe). You close those, and the main cartridge can be removed and replaced.
Yes, there is a closet behind the shower and the drywall can be cut opened.

The outer end of the cartridge rotates freely. I am not able find the replacement for the cartridge as it is a no-name brand.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
I'd take the cartridge into a reputable plumbing supply place (i.e. NOT Home Depot) and they'll identify it/order a replacement. Or tell you it needs to be replaced.
Jan 21, 2012
163 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: I'd take the cartridge into a reputable plumbing supply place (i.e. NOT Home Depot) and they'll identify it/order a replacement. Or tell you it needs to be replaced.
I have tried that in the past as it was leaking occasionally, but couldn't figure out its manufacturer. The contractor probably got it online for cheap.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
RaOne1 wrote: I have tried that in the past as it was leaking occasionally, but couldn't figure out its manufacturer. The contractor probably got it online for cheap.
What does it say above the Shower handle. There apears to be a trademark.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
RaOne1 wrote: I have tried that in the past as it was leaking occasionally, but couldn't figure out its manufacturer. The contractor probably got it online for cheap.
It’s not a brand I recognize so it’s definitely not common. Most likely an offshore import

I would recommend Riobel as a replacement. You would only need to replace the valve, nothing else.
Supahhh wrote: What does it say above the Shower handle. There apears to be a trademark.
That’s an indicator for the shower head.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jan 21, 2012
163 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: I would recommend Riobel as a replacement. You would only need to replace the valve, nothing else.
Most people I talked to are recommending Moen. Why do you prefer Riobel?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
RaOne1 wrote: Most people I talked to are recommending Moen. Why do you prefer Riobel?
Thanks
I've only had experience with Riobel's sink faucets, not their shower sets. The sink faucets I've dealt with were super easy to repair, and there was zero plastic parts. My only gripe is the supply hose design on the wide spreads.

Moen has a very good warranty, and I've had sink tap sets replaced for free due to failing finishes. And while it's true that Moen hands out free replacement cartridges, I've experienced Moen shower cartridges that were next to impossible to remove from the mixer body. When they do come out, the body is damaged from mineral deposits so the replacement leaks. (Lifetime warranty means lifetime of the faucet, not your lifetime).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
Whatever you buy, don't buy it at a big box store.

My fixtures are all Porcher, which is part of American Standard. They killed the brand off and now their 'luxury' fixtures are DXV.

Regardless, all solid brass, no plastic, good quality fixtures.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
RaOne1 wrote: Most people I talked to are recommending Moen. Why do you prefer Riobel?
Thanks
I always recommend Riobel. It’s a mid to higher end brand, with a competitive price point. Their quality is excellent and parts are well constructed. Very few if any plastic parts used, most components (valve, cartridge, handles, trim are made of brass) customer service is also excellent. Many different options to choose from for their kits.
They also make a 3 way valve built into one trim which eases installation and doesn’t congest your shower wall, and less parts to fail as it’s all built into the one cartridge.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jan 21, 2012
163 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: It’s not a brand I recognize so it’s definitely not common. Most likely an offshore import
I found the cartridge. https://usa.hudsonreed.com/replacement- ... lves-28245

As you can see that it is an UK item, so ordering/returning it is going to be a hassle. Also, looks like a part of my handle is broken. See the attached picture.

I was wondering if I could use any North American carirdge to replace this or do I have to change the whole mixer assembly?

I am debating between ordering the cartridge + potentially the trim and replacing the whole valve with a moen product.

I am getting quotes around $450 (labor +parts) to change the valve and simple trim like this.
Images
  • shower 1.jpg
  • Shower 2.jpg
  • shower 7.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
RaOne1 wrote: I found the cartridge. https://usa.hudsonreed.com/replacement- ... lves-28245

As you can see that it is an UK item, so ordering/returning it is going to be a hassle. Also, looks like a part of my handle is broken. See the attached picture.

I was wondering if I could use any North American carirdge to replace this or do I have to change the whole mixer assembly?

I am debating between ordering the cartridge + potentially the trim and replacing the whole valve with a moen product.

I am getting quotes around $450 (labor +parts) to change the valve and simple trim like this.
Parts such as this are brand specific
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Confused Face
RaOne1 wrote: I found the cartridge. https://usa.hudsonreed.com/replacement- ... lves-28245

Thats a "Supplier" website.
Here is the Canadian Supplier . Its $90.

https://www.fruugo.ca/sc50t20-crosswate ... 6-21509035

Or less if you order from here. or Here

Or Buy this, and it will make your Shower new . ( i think you can use the cartridge from this and the trim/ handles and shower head.)
----
Pay it forward.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)