Cell Phones

Need service that can send out SMSs that show my main, verified Caller ID

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 2:09 pm
Nov 12, 2018
5 posts

Need service that can send out SMSs that show my main, verified Caller ID

I have a data only plan and ported my number to Fongo. Phone calls are thus taken care of, but outgoing SMSs are not. I did not purchase Fongo's SMS packages because I use WhatsApp for almost all messaging. Once in a blue moon though, I need to send out an SMS that has to appear as coming from my phone number (currently with Fongo). It should not show up as coming from Unknown or random numbers.
So far, I tried:
1) Rebvoice (Betamax) where I was able to verify my (Fongo) number but the messages I send appear as being sent from random numbers. Their Service can't fix that. Interestingly enough, my outgoing phone calls DO show my correct Caller ID.
2) Voico, where I cannot verify my phone number (Fongo probably blocks the incoming SMS) and the subsequent verification phone call errors out every time.

TLDR, I need a free/cheap messaging service that can send out SMSs that show my real Caller ID. Suggestions?
Thread Summary
I need a free/cheap messaging service that can send out SMSs that show my real Caller ID. Suggestions?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
I don't think there anything out there, and even if it was...it would be borderline illegal (sms spoofing?)
Nov 12, 2018
5 posts
EPcjay wrote: I don't think there anything out there, and even if it was...it would be borderline illegal (sms spoofing?)
I don't think it would be, since I own and control my number. I always have to verify my number first by receiving an SMS or Voice call, that's how it works for a zillion other things. Closer to home, that's how my outgoing international phone calls show my proper Caller ID when using Rebvoice ( and many other Betamax VOIP services ).
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Caller ID spoofing has been a thing for YEARS with calls. I don't recall ever seeing it for SMS though.
Nov 12, 2018
5 posts
wearysky wrote: Caller ID spoofing has been a thing for YEARS with calls. I don't recall ever seeing it for SMS though.
Strange! So most VOIP services are able to spoof a Caller ID for phone calls but they can't do the same for an SMS ?!?
Does everyone agree that this is indeed the case? Thx!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
if is "Once in a blue moon though" , then just buy discounted Apple card
and buy fongo txt plan when you need to use it.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Oct 1, 2009
662 posts
325 upvotes
West coast
Cheap you say? Sounds simplistic, but just purchase the sms add-on from fongo
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Emerson717 wrote: Strange! So most VOIP services are able to spoof a Caller ID for phone calls but they can't do the same for an SMS ?!?
Does everyone agree that this is indeed the case? Thx!
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe caller ID spoofing is easier to do because the older technology that it's based on doesn't have the capability to prevent it. SMS spoofing is *possible*, but is harder to do,
Sep 27, 2003
11124 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Can Twilio do this?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
WorldIRC wrote: Can Twilio do this?
From a quick googling, it appears not. On this page there's this specific note:
Note: You can not spoof messages from your own cell phone number. The From parameter can only display a Twilio number on your project, or an Alphanumeric Sender ID (where available).
So it looks like the only option is to do it is via Fongo. It's only $10 for 6 months (or $2.79 for a month), I'd just recommend going that route.
Nov 12, 2018
5 posts
I see, Fongo seems to be the only option for my real number.
For unofficial business I already text from my US Google Voice number or preferrably WhatsApp with everybody that has it.
Thank you guys!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Emerson717 wrote: I see, Fongo seems to be the only option for my real number.
For unofficial business I already text from my US Google Voice number or preferrably WhatsApp with everybody that has it.
Thank you guys!
Yeah, it seems that the only way to send SMS from a number (without having mad hax0r skillz) is directly from whatever service "owns" (for lack of a better word) the number.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)