Careers

Need some career guidance !

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2015 7:59 pm
May 5, 2015
3 posts
Brampton, ON

Need some career guidance !

Hi there I'm currently in high school, and I'm a pretty academic student.

The programs I'm considering to apply to after school are:
  • Laurier BBA
  • Schulich BBA
  • Waterloo BBA
  • Waterloo CS
I also have an extreme desire to move to the US, and would, therefore, like to know some in-demand careers that could get me in. I believe that the Waterloo CS gives me a good chance but then again there's a flaw in my planning. I don't know if I'm good at programming or not and how hard it is. I just began learning Python and like coding, but I don't know if I'm creative enough. I'm also not sure whether there are in-demand business jobs in the US. If any of you could help me, that would be great! Any other advice is also much appreciated.
thanks again and have a great day!

Simon Baker
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1693 posts
1946 upvotes
vancouver
I would say the Waterloo CS program is the strongest of that list and also the most difficult.

Let's not beat around the bush. Waterloo CS is hard. People fail. Many if not most get low grades, but it is for that reason that the grads are respected. CS is also a lot of math. Check that curriculum and make sure you're comfortable with it.

PS: Make sure you get good co-op placements.
Sep 4, 2006
46 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
SimonBaker wrote: Hi there I'm currently in high school, and I'm a pretty academic student.

The programs I'm considering to apply to after school are:
  • Laurier BBA
  • Schulich BBA
  • Waterloo BBA
  • Waterloo CS
I also have an extreme desire to move to the US, and would, therefore, like to know some in-demand careers that could get me in. I believe that the Waterloo CS gives me a good chance but then again there's a flaw in my planning. I don't know if I'm good at programming or not and how hard it is. I just began learning Python and like coding, but I don't know if I'm creative enough. I'm also not sure whether there are in-demand business jobs in the US. If any of you could help me, that would be great! Any other advice is also much appreciated.
thanks again and have a great day!

Simon Baker
Somebody with more recent experience coming out of high school should be ale to offer a better understanding of the gap/change in high school education to university education. My personal experience is that I felt I was inadequately prepared to deal with the expectations as a university student. Success will not come easy and going to class and studying will feel like a full-time job, with 40+ hours per week. I think a big reason so many students fail is they just aren't ready to put in that kind of work into "academics". This applies if you go the Waterloo CS route, as the other programs likely won't be too much of a shock/time commitment.

I would rank the CS degree above the others, and would rank the others in this order: Waterloo, Laurier, Schulich. If either of those three has a co-op placement it would rank as a clear 2nd choice for me.
May 5, 2015
3 posts
Brampton, ON
Hi there guys thanks for the input! really appreciate it.
Sep 29, 2014
231 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Waterloo does not have a BBA program, I'm assuming you're talking about the AFM. It's overpriced and not even a business degree. May as well go for the BBA or BComm instead. Either go into Waterloo computer science or Schulich business. Although Schulich doesn't have coop, due the strong on-campus networking events and internships I know many students who have done very well for themselves. It is a highly ranked business school, particularly excelling in accounting.

Laurier is a good program but more than half don't actually make it into coop. It's a risk to take since the program is not known outside of Ontario.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
waterloo collaborates with laurier for a double degree in CS and BBA
Oct 13, 2008
552 posts
166 upvotes
Given current job market I'd go for the one that offers most coop or practicum opportunities. Once you graduate it really does not matter which school you graduated from it's all about the work related experiences you had prior.

I believe waterloo does that well so my pick is that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)