• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 9:31 am
[OP]
May 28, 2007
32 posts
1 upvote

Need an unlock code for Samsung A5

Long story, sorry.

Bought an A5 at NCIX at the end of May for my son. Was initially running on the Rogers network with Speakout but we've moved it to Public Mobile on the Telus network. Phone is now locked and unuseable. Phone is sold with unlock code on box but it does not work.

Speakout, Public Mobile and Rogers can't help. Two third-party sellers could not find a code. A third one provided us with the same code that's printed on the box and which doesn't work. The guy commented that "the phone's broken".

Samsung has told us that it cannot find a code because NCIX is not an authorized dealer. To the consumer, this means nothing. The phone was chosen based on good reviews and purchased after a google search for prices. In my ignorance I assumed that authorized retailers meant a place where we could go for service, nothing more. If NCIX is not authorized, why can they sell these phones? Did NCIX find them at the side of the road after they fell off a truck? How can Samsung not support its product?

Three days later NCIX has not responded to email or called back despite number being left. The business seems to be in chaos, perhaps in the midst of shutting down.

I realize the A5 is not a flagship phone but for us, and particularly for a 15 year-old, it is a major investment. The previous phone I tried, the ZTE Axon (based on RFDers advice) was a piece of junk, shutting off constantly. Ideas?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3797 posts
659 upvotes
Brampton ON
Here or wait till Decemeber 1 , 2017 to get it free.
Freedom Mobile
Virgin Mobile

Nov 17, 2006
11 posts
4 upvotes
Was the phone unlocked when you bought it? Phone's don't just lock themselves. Can you elaborate on how Rogers can't help? Did you try calling customer service or going to a store or both? If it's carrier locked they can unlock, and will be required to unlock (for free) as of December 1.
[OP]
May 28, 2007
32 posts
1 upvote
My understanding (and please keep in my mind that I am just shy of being a luddite) is that the phones are sold unlocked, but lock to a network once you start using a SIM card. My husband called Rogers. I believe they told him they could not find it. Speakout told me that they can only unlock the phones they sell you.

I just read somewhere that if you try using the wrong unlock code you may find yourself unlocked forever. Please God don't let that be true!
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes
slickdealer wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 2:58 am
Was the phone unlocked when you bought it? Phone's don't just lock themselves. Can you elaborate on how Rogers can't help? Did you try calling customer service or going to a store or both? If it's carrier locked they can unlock, and will be required to unlock (for free) as of December 1.
Samsung phones are different. The unlocked Samsung phone will locked to the first SIM that you insert.
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes
Christabelle wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 11:23 am
My understanding (and please keep in my mind that I am just shy of being a luddite) is that the phones are sold unlocked, but lock to a network once you start using a SIM card. My husband called Rogers. I believe they told him they could not find it. Speakout told me that they can only unlock the phones they sell you.

I just read somewhere that if you try using the wrong unlock code you may find yourself unlocked forever. Please God don't let that be true!
This understanding is correct. Samsung is the only phone that needs to be unlocked, even if it is sold unlocked. Kind of troublesome. When the first SIM is inserted into an unlocked Samsung phone, it will locked to the SIM's carrier and install some carrier specific apps, depending on the carrier. To use the phone on a different carrier, you need to unlock the "unlocked" Samsung phone. This is what you are trying to do. It will be so much more convenient if Samsung phones are truly unlocked, just like any other phones.

If neither the carrier nor Samsung can help, it looks like NCIX have sold you an international version of the Samsung A5.
Dec 27, 2009
59 posts
12 upvotes
Hola
Let me chime in here with my experience. I bought an A5 (2017) from PCMobile during a promo and it was setup with a Koodo Mobile SIM. The phone had to be used on another network (outside of Canada) and obviously it needed to be unlocked. After trying 3 different independent unlock online companies I could not get a working code, one unlock provided said that they counldn't find the IMEI against their Koodo Mobile database. In the end I had to pay off the remaining tab on Koodo, then pay the $50 (rip off) fee and then I was able to get the phone unlocked directly from Koodo.

A few items:
1. It seems that indeed with these newer Samsung phones indeed are locked to the carrier based on the first SIM card used.
2. I can't understand why these popular unlocking companies can't find or provide working unlock codes... maybe someone more knowledgeable about the industry can shed some light.
3. I wonder how Samsung will handle unlocking / locking come Dec 1.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3441 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
kaliman wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 1:02 pm

If neither the carrier nor Samsung can help, it looks like NCIX have sold you an international version of the Samsung A5.
international model don;t lock on the first sim.

OP can you post a picture of what the screen says when you insert your public sim?
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
May 8, 2009
2320 posts
733 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
d1ulove3 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:42 pm
Here or wait till Decemeber 1 , 2017 to get it free.
OP would have to figure out to which carrier the lock code is associated, or lack thereof (retail Canada model flex locks, but Samsung would hand out the unlock code at no charge).
Christabelle wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 11:23 am

To confirm, what's the model number of the phone? If it ends in W8, it's at least a Canadian variant. If it's not a Canadian variant, then NCIX sold you a bootleg and your only hope (I think) is your credit card company, assuming you paid via credit card.
marktang wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 2:41 pm
international model don;t lock on the first sim.

OP can you post a picture of what the screen says when you insert your public sim?
We'd need to know which model phone OP's A5 happens to be.

If it's a Canadian variant, then Samsung would have to unlock it at no charge. OP could provide a receipt. If that does not end well amicably, then I'd go to the credit card company and fight to get your money back, since it was sold "unlocked".
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3441 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Ya it is easier to know the model # of the phone and also what message you are getting. I have got the A7 from hong kong and it doesnt lock on the first sim. but ya we need the model # so we can help you better
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
[OP]
May 28, 2007
32 posts
1 upvote
Okay, so it's a Galaxy A5. On the box, it says SM-A520W.

The screen that comes up says "Device is blocked. Please enter the Master unlock code."
Dec 8, 2014
22 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Your Samsung phone is the Canadian version of A5.Because you tried so many times to unlock the phone with an incorrect code, now is asking for a Master unlock code.In order to unlock it you need MCK key, also called Defreeze key or Master code.First you need to see are you submitting the correct IMEI number with the unlock services. Dial *#06# on your phone and check the IMEI. Call Samsung again and explain that the code provided with the phone is not working and because of that the phone is frozen now. Check the previous emails from the unlocking providers and look for NCK= Network Unlock Code.This the code that you need to enter when you are trying to use the phone with a different sim card. The code that you need now is defreeze code or MCK. Here how the email from the unlocking services should look like.
NETWORK=16290280 PROVIDER=97686901 SUBPROVIDER=94545712 DEFREEZE=57043086 EXTRA=00000000
Nov 17, 2006
11 posts
4 upvotes
kaliman wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 12:49 pm
Samsung phones are different. The unlocked Samsung phone will locked to the first SIM that you insert.
Wow! TIL another reason to dislike Samsung. I kind of feel bad that I got my wife an A5 (though she's very happy with the phone).
May 8, 2009
2320 posts
733 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
slickdealer wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 3:25 pm
Wow! TIL another reason to dislike Samsung. I kind of feel bad that I got my wife an A5 (though she's very happy with the phone).
Non-issue with the Note 8 and every future Samsung phone release with the December 1st rule, but agreed that Samshucks gives us one extra annoyance compared to other manufacturers.

I just unlocked my last Samsung for less than $10 and already sold it, so it made sense for me to pay for that last unlock out of pocket.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming