Cell Phones

Need an unlock code for Samsung A5

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 9:31 am
[OP]
May 28, 2007
32 posts
1 upvote
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It took until today but we got the MCK code from Samsung and my son's phone is once again useable. We probably could have gotten it a few days earlier but we were alternating requests for support from both Samsung online and by phone. Turns out the online support came through. The phone support told me a week ago that there was nothing they could do for me.

Oh, and despite telling me that they didn't have an unlock code for me multiple times (the normal one, not the MCK code) and they had no way of getting one for this rogue phone, two different people gave it to me from Samsung!

Samsung made a big deal of the fact that the phone was not purchased at an authorized seller but at NCIX. We were told many times to go back to NCIX (despite the fact that they are failing and no longer responding to requests for help). I have to say I knew of the importance of authorized dealers in terms of repairs, but had never even thought of it in terms of sales. I simply looked around for the best price. It's a Samsung phone. Is Samsung somehow pretending it's not? Where do these phones from not-authorized dealers come from?

Anyway, thank you Zdr354!
Dec 8, 2014
22 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You are welcome, I am glad that the issue was resolved.Customer support or front line people are not very knowledgeable. Since this is the Canadian model of A5, Samsung Canada is responsible for the device support.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7250 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Very educational thread.
Samsung webchat dude also told me my S3 (purchased from WIND store on WIND tab) was not a Canadian phone and they couldn’t find unlock code for it.
Even after I got a code from the now Freedom Mobile, it didn’t work right away as one of the settings was not proper.
I read and followed some instructions from this thread and it eventually unlocked.
https://canadaunlocking.com/how-to-unlock-a-phone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7250 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 6:54 am
Non-issue with the Note 8 and every future Samsung phone release with the December 1st rule, but agreed that Samshucks gives us one extra annoyance compared to other manufacturers.

I just unlocked my last Samsung for less than $10 and already sold it, so it made sense for me to pay for that last unlock out of pocket.
I’d think twice before getting Samsung for that reason as well...an unlocked phone becomes a locked phone...learned something todaySmiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Who knows what they’ll come up with next...
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ppl4golf wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:46 pm
I’d think twice before getting Samsung for that reason as well...an unlocked phone becomes a locked phone...learned something todaySmiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Who knows what they’ll come up with next...
Won't be an issue once older inventory is liquidated.

Anything S8/S8+/Note 8 and every future release of J or A series will be unlocked out of the box.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming