• Mar 20th, 2017 12:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
628 posts
52 upvotes
Halifax

Need to upgrade my pc (Q6600), looking for recommendations

Hi everyone,

My Q6600 based pc has been happily chugging along for many years but with mounting issues, it's time for a replacement. I've been out of the pc loop for quite some time however and would like some suggestions on what I should replace it with.

My current parts are:
Q6600 on a ga-p35-ds3l mobo with 4gb OCZ DDR2 800
OCZ 256 SSD, another 1Tb hdd
Coolermaster 550w psu
Gigabyte R9 270x

I don't game very much at all these days, but would still like to have the option. I had no problems playing BF4 recently.
The machine will mostly be used for media however - browsing, NZbs, Plex server, Kodi, etc.

I'm not looking to spend too much, as I don't need anything super powerful, especially coming from what I had. What do you suggest for a new cpu/mobo/ram?

Thank you!
21 replies
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21252 posts
2200 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 12:25 pm
Pentium G4560?
A good idea but the reality there is that it will basically be roughly similar performance (actually faster for most of OP's uses but not hugely so), though there will be a good deal of modern platform features to be had as C2Q is quite old and doesn't even have USB 3.0, never mind the slew of other improvements over the years. The other plus side is much, much better power consumption compared to C2Q (and a Kentsfield at that).

If not spending too much that's probably the best option though as i5s are still like $250+. But good luck finding a G4560 in Canada right now anyway. All you'll find is the more pricey G4600 and G4620, which really aren't worth the extra money over the 4560. Probably will have to wait a couple months for supply and at that point Ryzen 5 will be out, which may cause Intel to move (cut) i5 pricing--but you'll have to wait and see.

OP I would just get a B250 motherboard, try to find a G4560, and get something mATX or ITX since it'll make for a smaller build as you more than likely do not need a ton of slots. Re-use your 270X (it's still a half-decent card and you don't do much gaming now anyway), re-use your SSD and HDD, and get a new PSU. Seriously CM PSUs are mostly a bunch of crap. Get something Gold or Platinum efficiency OEM'd by Seasonic, Super Flower, FSP, or CWT--those are all pretty good. You'll also need new [DDR4] RAM of course and 8GB should be plenty for you.
Dec 9, 2008
347 posts
46 upvotes
Or get a used i7-3770 + desktop box for $350+ on Kijiji. Like an HP box.
Feb 25, 2009
481 posts
80 upvotes
Montreal
I think you can get an OptiPlex 9010/9020 i7 with 8G RAM (take the mini tower) on https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/ when it's on sale for about 430$ . I have bought 1 last year for about 620$. Add another SSD and it will run very fast. OptiPlex is business line of Dell Desktop PC, should last for several years . I still have my Q6600 with 8G RAM and several SDD, it's still running good for all my development stuffs with 2-3 VMware VMs for Remote Desktop environment.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1483 posts
283 upvotes
Windsor
Mobo/ram/chip are still worth something; I sold mine a few years ago for $150, and I could have gotten more if it was the SL4CR one. I think I was lucky though, just so you know, but I guess I shouldn't advocate selling theoretically faulty parts. Other than those parts, everything else in your PC should be good (presuming the PSU is not causing your issues).

I'd personally wait a month for Ryzen stuff; Ryzen 3 are looking to be basically ~10% underclocked i5s, at the price of an i3. You'll probably get the best R3 + a B350(chipset) mobo for less than you'll likely find as used i5 + mobo of any modern-ish generation. RAM is a bit of a pesky one, given RAM prices are pretty high right now ... go on NCIX and see what the amount of RAM you want costs (I'd be going for 16GB).

Basically, in 1 month, you'll be able to get a "current generation" PC that'll easily last you as long as that Q6600 did for $500-ish; throw a new PSU, and you're at $600.
$175 RAM
$200 CPU (R3 1200x ... you're looking at an R5 1400x if you want an i7 competitor)
$100 Mobo (search for B350, if you're not overclocking ... X370 if you plan to)

This is all my opinion: SLI is pretty much dead for most mortals, so no need for fancy motherboards; the extra cash for the SLI capable board is better spent on a better videocard/more ram/better SSD/etc, unless you're the kind of person that thinks a 1080ti isn't enough, which you don't seem to be. If you want to overclock, then you need the fancier board, but I'd say it's pretty much useless for modern CPUs; you're looking at something like 15% gain in clocks @ best (this is VERY optimistic), while your CPU will almost never use the horsepower ... even in 8 years. Unless you're processing something enormous, 16GB of RAM is plenty, but maybe you like having 200 browser windows open while running Solidworks and compressing a video while working on some printwork with Photoshop ... then I'd splurge for 32GB.

Seems like you just want a workable PC that won't break the bank, and I think the new Ryzen stuff is exactly that; priced right, and plenty of horsepower for normal people.

I'd also like to say I generally don't like used stuff; enthusiasts tend not to be very nice to their hardware.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
628 posts
52 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks Chub, after some research the last couple of days, I think this is exactly what I'm going to to. The new lower end Ryzen look like they'll be a good bang for the buck.
ChubChub wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:15 pm
Mobo/ram/chip are still worth something; I sold mine a few years ago for $150, and I could have gotten more if it was the SL4CR one. I think I was lucky though, just so you know, but I guess I shouldn't advocate selling theoretically faulty parts. Other than those parts, everything else in your PC should be good (presuming the PSU is not causing your issues).

I'd personally wait a month for Ryzen stuff; Ryzen 3 are looking to be basically ~10% underclocked i5s, at the price of an i3. You'll probably get the best R3 + a B350(chipset) mobo for less than you'll likely find as used i5 + mobo of any modern-ish generation. RAM is a bit of a pesky one, given RAM prices are pretty high right now ... go on NCIX and see what the amount of RAM you want costs (I'd be going for 16GB).

Basically, in 1 month, you'll be able to get a "current generation" PC that'll easily last you as long as that Q6600 did for $500-ish; throw a new PSU, and you're at $600.
$175 RAM
$200 CPU (R3 1200x ... you're looking at an R5 1400x if you want an i7 competitor)
$100 Mobo (search for B350, if you're not overclocking ... X370 if you plan to)

This is all my opinion: SLI is pretty much dead for most mortals, so no need for fancy motherboards; the extra cash for the SLI capable board is better spent on a better videocard/more ram/better SSD/etc, unless you're the kind of person that thinks a 1080ti isn't enough, which you don't seem to be. If you want to overclock, then you need the fancier board, but I'd say it's pretty much useless for modern CPUs; you're looking at something like 15% gain in clocks @ best (this is VERY optimistic), while your CPU will almost never use the horsepower ... even in 8 years. Unless you're processing something enormous, 16GB of RAM is plenty, but maybe you like having 200 browser windows open while running Solidworks and compressing a video while working on some printwork with Photoshop ... then I'd splurge for 32GB.

Seems like you just want a workable PC that won't break the bank, and I think the new Ryzen stuff is exactly that; priced right, and plenty of horsepower for normal people.

I'd also like to say I generally don't like used stuff; enthusiasts tend not to be very nice to their hardware.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1008 posts
210 upvotes
Scarborough
wow.. glad to see another Q6600 users.. LOL

I'm still using my Q6600 - updated with ssd and usb 3 headers but its kinda slow and lots of things being unsupported now.. i built a 3rd gen i5 few years ago but don't use it much and keeps coming back to the old desktop for some reason.. but finally thinking of moving on as i updated one of my spare matx cases (really don't like the larger full size cases) and want to make use of it and taking some of the parts (ssd, corsair power supply) from the old rig to make something cheap.. was thinking G4560 as well
ChubChub wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:15 pm
Mobo/ram/chip are still worth something; I sold mine a few years ago for $150, and I could have gotten more if it was the SL4CR one.
hey ChubChub didn't think any of these old parts are worth anything and was about to scrap them... where would i start to looking to sell this stuff?

Q6600 w/ Asus ROG Maximus Formula SE and 4 gb of ocz pc2 6400 ram..

sorry to thread cap.. :)
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21252 posts
2200 upvotes
Gentile wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:33 pm
Thanks Chub, after some research the last couple of days, I think this is exactly what I'm going to to. The new lower end Ryzen look like they'll be a good bang for the buck.
Ryzen 3 you're waiting until the end of the year pretty much, so I'd forget that. Ryzen 5 is officially April 11th so right around the corner; but it's not really going to be overly worth the wait. AMD is basically promising current i5 performance......at current i5 pricing, lol. Plus you don't even get an iGPU with that. You do get the bonus of HT over the i5 which at first sounds great but then you have to realise their HT is immature and relatively crappy. Basically you might get something that performs about the same as an i5 in most cases, faster in some cases where >4 threads are used, and possibly slower in some cases (due to crappy HT, possibly limited clock range, and other quirks). Overall, it's already clear it's not going to be any bargain winner.

Pricing has already been set and the 1500X will be $190 US which means $250 CAD. Meanwhile you can get an i5 7400 for $240 today, or a 7500 for $260. So it's the exact same price range we're talking about. Plus again no iGPU to speak of, and boards are still few and far between compared to Intel boards where there's tons and you can pick up a B250 board in the $100 range no problem. No you can't OC the standard i5s but Ryzen 5 may not have much OC headroom anyway (remains to be seen). Ryzen 16xx are better with two more cores but now you're into spending $300 on a CPU...up to you.

If anything I'd probably wait to see if Intel moves their pricing in response. However it's doubtful given everything is basically similar--price, performance--and there's no GPU. While I don't suggest in any way to use the iGPU for gaming, the fact is it's there whereas AMD has none and by the time their APUs launch that might even be next year lol. Plus the pricing can't possibly be spectacular if Ryzen 5s are this high w/o GPU. But I think that's the only place they'll have any kind of winner--i5 performance with GPU performance along the lines of the 270X you have now--that'd be pretty impressive with "just the CPU".
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3628 posts
392 upvotes
I went from a Core 2 Quad Q9550 (from 2009) to a Haswell i5 4590 (in 2014). You have three primary routes to take:

A.) Reuse some old components and buy the rest new.
B.) Reuse some old components, upgrade those down the road and buy the rest new.
C.) Buy all new.

I ended up doing #B to save some money. Actually I ended up only reusing the (4GB) RAM and one HDD and kept my old Q9550 in tact as a test/backup PC, putting some even older (2GB) RAM into the Q9550. During various sales, I eventually upgraded my i5 4590 to 16GB RAM and two SSDs (up from one SSD when I first built this PC). I didn't buy a GPU as I decided that would be something I could do down the road. But now nearly three years later I'm still using the Intel HD4400 onboard graphics. I do most of my gaming on my PS4 and iPad so the $300-400 I saved by not getting a GPU (as much as I might want a GeForce 1070) was redirected towards PS4 and iOS games.

My next notebook or PC will be chosen/built around the monitor I end up getting. 27" 1440p quantum dot freesync here I come!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1483 posts
283 upvotes
Windsor
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:12 am
Ryzen 3 you're waiting until the end of the year pretty much, so I'd forget that. Ryzen 5 is officially April 11th so right around the corner; but it's not really going to be overly worth the wait. AMD is basically promising current i5 performance......at current i5 pricing, lol. Plus you don't even get an iGPU with that. You do get the bonus of HT over the i5 which at first sounds great but then you have to realise their HT is immature and relatively crappy. Basically you might get something that performs about the same as an i5 in most cases, faster in some cases where >4 threads are used, and possibly slower in some cases (due to crappy HT, possibly limited clock range, and other quirks). Overall, it's already clear it's not going to be any bargain winner.

Pricing has already been set and the 1500X will be $190 US which means $250 CAD. Meanwhile you can get an i5 7400 for $240 today, or a 7500 for $260. So it's the exact same price range we're talking about. Plus again no iGPU to speak of, and boards are still few and far between compared to Intel boards where there's tons and you can pick up a B250 board in the $100 range no problem. No you can't OC the standard i5s but Ryzen 5 may not have much OC headroom anyway (remains to be seen). Ryzen 16xx are better with two more cores but now you're into spending $300 on a CPU...up to you.

If anything I'd probably wait to see if Intel moves their pricing in response. However it's doubtful given everything is basically similar--price, performance--and there's no GPU. While I don't suggest in any way to use the iGPU for gaming, the fact is it's there whereas AMD has none and by the time their APUs launch that might even be next year lol. Plus the pricing can't possibly be spectacular if Ryzen 5s are this high w/o GPU. But I think that's the only place they'll have any kind of winner--i5 performance with GPU performance along the lines of the 270X you have now--that'd be pretty impressive with "just the CPU".
This is some SERIOUS cherrypicking/fanboyism, and what has (unfortunately) been spoken about on the Internet a lot; if you ignore choosing your CPU based on capabilities, and solely base it on price, then they compare oddly, because Ryzen chips are higher core/lower clocks per price point (the leaks have been slowly pushing up the stock clocks though, so we will see), whereas they're very competitive when you compare similarly structured chips (4/4 core vs 4/4 core, 4/8 core vs 4/8 core ... which is how a normal consumer would compare them).

What ES-Revenge is basically saying is that a Bentley Arnage is a piece of shit because a Nissan GT-R would take it apart on a track ... essentially saying that nobody buys a car for anything except racing it on a track. He's picking a scenario that the OP isn't hugely concerned about (gaming) and saying the chips are garbage because they're perfectly capable of this task, but not as good as a chip that is very well suited to this task.

As well, I mentioned the 1400x, which is a 4/8core chip costing $169 USD which is ~$225 CAD. Given IPC (on average) is the same as the newest Intel parts, it will be about 15% faster in games than the $240 7400, about 5% faster than the $260 7500, and about on par with the $300 7600 ... and overall CPU tasks (so, average over a bunch of random tasks) about 25% faster than the 7600 (much like the i7 over the i5). And no, AMD's hyperthreading is not "immature"; generally, it's better than Intels ... however, until now, Intel has always had much better IPC, so AMDs "hyperthreading" didn't have a chance.
Edit: Hmm, the 1400x seems to possibly have become a lower clocked part, and they nuked the X ... if leaks are correct, I'd be now looking at the 1500X, for ~$260CAD.

He is correct about R3s though, but they said 2nd half of 2017, which hopefully means July, given R5s came rolling in 11 days into Q2. AMD was good for having stock levels on the R7s at launch, so hopefully they'll continue this trend. Motherboards are easy to come by as well.
He's also right about losing the iGPU; the APUs are probably really far away.

Approximate performance comparison Ryzen to Kaby Lake (in red are numbers I believe are incorrect ... 1500x I'd bet 4GHz, and the 1400 I'd bet 3600GHz):
ryzen2.png
Last edited by ChubChub on Mar 19th, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Mar 3, 2017
110 posts
41 upvotes
an i3 would be fine for gaming, unless you have a high end video card paired with it. I would wait for ryzen 3 to come out then based on reviews decide between the 2.

I suggest getting only kabylake or ryzen chips, as both have h265 encoding and decoding built in. Skylake is hybrid or doesnet support 10bit encoding of h265. This will matter in a big way since you plan to keep your system for close to a decade. Hardware support for decoding 8bit and 10bit hevc/h265 becomes very important in your case.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9768 posts
3282 upvotes
OP I have read about your needs and I think the best CPU for you would be the Ryzen 1600. However I do not recommend the Ryzen platform in its current form, unless you can live with the current bugs and limitations. The SATA performance is poor and there are issues with the gaming performance and the "core parking". There are also issues with RAM speeds, and I'm hearing that the motherboards are really flaky. If you can live with all that, the 1600 looks like it will be a great CPU.

That's my take on it. I don't know how urgently you need something. But basically the way it looks now is if you're a gamer you should go with an unlocked Intel i5, but for other uses Ryzen could be better. You sound like you use the PC as a bit of a server and for other things so I think Ryzen would be good for you. Also, your Q6600 purchase tells me you like having a lot of cores and being a bit ahead of the curve. Ryzen is also good for that side of things. Good luck!
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21252 posts
2200 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:12 pm
This is some SERIOUS cherrypicking/fanboyism,
:rolleyes:

That's all I have to say about that foolishness. AMD is releasing processors that have i5 performance at i5 prices and I'm a fanboy because I pointed that out. Uh okay then, whatever. The 6C/12T Ryzen may offer some value over the i5-K processors but going below the $300 price point (again not everyone wants to spend $300 on a processor) there's nothing really offered over an i5 other than crappy HT, hard to find boards, and what might be limited OCing. Big whoop. If the 1500X came in at $180 or something then you could talk but $250? Yeah right, I'm the "fanboy" :facepalm:
Jan 10, 2017
261 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
I just want the cores to run virtual machines, and game while running virtual machines and Chrome browser tabs. I'm picking a truck over the sedan for uses.
Information Security Analyst