• Mar 20th, 2017 12:50 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1658 posts
328 upvotes
Windsor
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:58 pm
That's all I have to say about that foolishness. AMD is releasing processors that have i7 performance at i5 prices and I'm a fanboy because I pointed that out.
FTFY
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:58 pm
Uh okay then, whatever. The 6C/12T Ryzen may offer some value over the i5-K processors but going below the $300 price point (again not everyone wants to spend $300 on a processor) there's nothing really offered over an i5 other than crappy HT, hard to find boards, and what might be limited OCing. Big whoop. If the 1500X came in at $180 or something then you could talk but $250? Yeah right, I'm the "fanboy" :facepalm:
Yes, you are. You do know the i5 does not have hyperthreading, and the R5s do, right? Much like the difference between an i7 and an i5 is hyperthreading (functionally)? I'm presuming you think there is no value to the i7s then either? You must think the 6950k is garbage too, considering it gets beaten by the i5 7600k in many games. Why spend $2,200 on a CPU when you can get a better one (by your standards) for $300?

FWIW: I own (currently built and functioning) 5x 4790k, 1 x 4770k, an Intel core2duo something laptop, and an X2 255. Previously, had a Q6600, before that an X2 4800+, and a mix of stuff before that. See, I look at what's good at the time for the price, instead of trying to come up with special use cases to make my favourite brand look better. Like most people, I use my PCs for lots of things, and often it's best to look at what you foresee needing, and picking the parts that meet that need, instead of saying "what costs this much moneys and makes my games go fastest?".
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3790 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:15 pm
FTFY

Yes, you are. You do know the i5 does not have hyperthreading, and the R5s do, right? Much like the difference between an i7 and an i5 is hyperthreading (functionally)? I'm presuming you think there is no value to the i7s then either? You must think the 6950k is garbage too, considering it gets beaten by the i5 7600k in many games. Why spend $2,200 on a CPU when you can get a better one (by your standards) for $300?

FWIW: I own (currently built and functioning) 5x 4790k, 1 x 4770k, an Intel core2duo something laptop, and an X2 255. Previously, had a Q6600, before that an X2 4800+, and a mix of stuff before that. See, I look at what's good at the time for the price, instead of trying to come up with special use cases to make my favourite brand look better. Like most people, I use my PCs for lots of things, and often it's best to look at what you foresee needing, and picking the parts that meet that need, instead of saying "what costs this much moneys and makes my games go fastest?".
For a lot of people hyperthreading is not going to make one ounce of difference. For games people are recommending that you disable hyperthreading on Ryzen to increase performance. So for a lot of people the i5 is still the best option. Single threaded performance is still king for PC gaming. The Intel chips not only have more IPC, but they clock higher as well. I am hearing that Kaby Lake hits 5ghz on air cooling. That's a full 1,000mhz faster than a maxed out Ryzen chip. It's not that cut and dry and ES_Revenge certainly has the right to an opinion.

I get that this place is a deal forum but the AMD guys on here have to at least allow the Intel guys to have their say without resorting to name calling like calling people a "fanboy". Just because the AMD chips are cheaper and they offer much better multithreaded performance, it doesn't mean that they are some magic bullet that's perfect for everyone. Most people have absolutely no use for eight cores. 99% of the time six of those cores would remain idle.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1658 posts
328 upvotes
Windsor
SickBeast wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:27 pm
For a lot of people hyperthreading is not going to make one ounce of difference. For games people are recommending that you disable hyperthreading on Ryzen to increase performance. So for a lot of people the i5 is still the best option. Single threaded performance is still king for PC gaming. The Intel chips not only have more IPC, but they clock higher as well. I am hearing that Kaby Lake hits 5ghz on air cooling. That's a full 1,000mhz faster than a maxed out Ryzen chip. It's not that cut and dry and ES_Revenge certainly has the right to an opinion.

I get that this place is a deal forum but the AMD guys on here have to at least allow the Intel guys to have their say without resorting to name calling like calling people a "fanboy". Just because the AMD chips are cheaper and they offer much better multithreaded performance, it doesn't mean that they are some magic bullet that's perfect for everyone. Most people have absolutely no use for eight cores. 99% of the time six of those cores would remain idle.
Well, faster than a theoretically maxed out Ryzen chip; while 5GHz is not going to happen, we still don't know what a 4/8 Ryzen will do. However, you are completely correct; many people don't need an i7, and for them, they should not be buying an i7. If someone "only" needs an i5, then Ryzen will have no direct competitor (R3) for it until at least July.

However, comparing an R5 (which is a slower i7) to an i5 is like comparing an i7 to an i5; if you pick simple tasks, the i5 will win ($$/performance). If you look at CPU capabilities, the use-case for the i5 and i7 are different; most people would buy an i5, much like when the OP originally bought his Q6600, he should have bought the E6600 if he was making this same decision back then ... but he opted for more cores, and it lasted 9 years.

Note: The OP specifically said gaming was not his primary concern.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
628 posts
54 upvotes
Halifax
This is posted locally on kijiji, and he's open to selling it without the gpu as I have my own. Thoughts?

DELL XPS 8700
Intel core i7 4770 3.9ghz - 4.13ghz
24GB ddr3 1600mhz
256gb msata ssd boot drive
1tb data drive
Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 2gb
Realtek gigabit ethernet onboard
Dual port Gigabit ethernet card as well
Intel Wireless Advanced N 6235 dual band
Bluetooth
6 USB 3
4 USB 2
Bluray player / dvd rw
Multi card reader
1x exhaust fan in rear of case

Standard micro atx form factor

$650
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, that looks good as the price of RAM and SSD has been raised about 1/3 since last year. But on Kijiji, there is no warranty, you may ask for the original receipt
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7033 posts
943 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gentile wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:27 am
This is posted locally on kijiji, and he's open to selling it without the gpu as I have my own. Thoughts?

DELL XPS 8700
Intel core i7 4770 3.9ghz - 4.13ghz
24GB ddr3 1600mhz
256gb msata ssd boot drive
1tb data drive
Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 2gb
Realtek gigabit ethernet onboard
Dual port Gigabit ethernet card as well
Intel Wireless Advanced N 6235 dual band
Bluetooth
6 USB 3
4 USB 2