• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2005 11:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2004
308 posts

Need your input about Dominican

The past 2 weeks I've been check last minute all inclusive packages to Domincan Rep. - Peurto Plata or Punta Cana and they have been pretty good ranging from 550-700 (before 224 tax)

now when I've checked I saw prices from 600-800+ (before 224 tax)

my question is should I wait abit and still book last minute or book it now cause prices will go up?

I'm planning on going either july 29-30 or 31 for 1 week

I've seen itravel2000.com with the best prices is there anywhere else I should check?

We r going as 4 students and pefer to save as much as possible possibly in the 900 and lower range
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
2845 posts
25 upvotes
ive been to both, punta cana is quite a bit nicer.....but usually a bit more.

What resorts are you looking at? Id recommend the Breezes, in either place.

ive used redtag.ca
and there is also selloffvacations.com

At least that gives you something to compare prices, and theres always a bit of room to get the price down a bit more.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
You are young so I am going to give you a piece of advice. Don't take package tours, and don't go plonk yourself at a resort, get sunburned and come back. If you want to do that then go to a tanning bed and save yourself some money.

Its amazing how many people go to Cuba, Dominican and Mexico, yet have no idea about the culture, the people, the sights, the smells and the real experience. Get out into the city. Wander the capital. Interact with the locals and eat the food. You might get an upset stomach for a day or two (however stick to bottled water), but you will get around that..

In a package tour, you are going to go with a bunch of overweight (ok generalisation here...but u get the idea) North americans, who will be the the first and the last thing you see. And all you will see is the resort etc. There are plenty of public beaches, if that's your things. Beaches where locals will mingle with the tourists. That's the real way to enjoy a new city/country.

Resorts are the bane of the North American/European clientel (ok and in its defence, they are probably a good idea for the middle aged and older people, who just want to relax and unwind). But as a student, you should really be looking to go the alternate route..You will have a lot of middle and old age to waste away in a pool chair :)
[OP]
Aug 30, 2004
308 posts
porphyra wrote:You are young so I am going to give you a piece of advice. Don't take package tours, and don't go plonk yourself at a resort, get sunburned and come back. If you want to do that then go to a tanning bed and save yourself some money.

:)
I have no idea what your talking about. If you would have read my thread you would see that I said all-inclusive NOT package tours?

Also there is a huge difference between going to a tanning bed and actually getting a sun tan in a beautiful country.
porphyra wrote: Its amazing how many people go to Cuba, Dominican and Mexico, yet have no idea about the culture, the people, the sights, the smells and the real experience. Get out into the city. Wander the capital. Interact with the locals and eat the food. You might get an upset stomach for a day or two (however stick to bottled water), but you will get around that..

In a package tour, you are going to go with a bunch of overweight (ok generalisation here...but u get the idea) North americans, who will be the the first and the last thing you see. And all you will see is the resort etc. There are plenty of public beaches, if that's your things. Beaches where locals will mingle with the tourists. That's the real way to enjoy a new city/country.

Resorts are the bane of the North American/European clientel (ok and in its defence, they are probably a good idea for the middle aged and older people, who just want to relax and unwind). But as a student, you should really be looking to go the alternate route..You will have a lot of middle and old age to waste away in a pool chair :)
Thanks for your advice pop, but has it ever occured to you that we just want to unwind and relax as well? For your information this thread was asking about pricing. Again if you would have read the thread you would have figured it out. We don't really care about the resort as long as it's clean and has great food, we will be travelling around into the cities and wounding around the different areas.

Thanks for your advice anyways?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2004
1708 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
what i would do is wait until 3 weeks before you leave. prices won't go much cheaper give or take 50 bucks per person. it also depends on what hotel you want to go to.

puerto plata is nice but punta cana is more white sand and cost a bit more. i went to puerto plata and stayed at the bahia principe and had a great time. it's not a 5 star, i think it's a 4 but you should have a great time with your friends there and it'll be pretty cheap.

go read reviews at tripadvisor.com and debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com
[OP]
Aug 30, 2004
308 posts
peppy5 wrote:what i would do is wait until 3 weeks before you leave. prices won't go much cheaper give or take 50 bucks per person. it also depends on what hotel you want to go to.

puerto plata is nice but punta cana is more white sand and cost a bit more. i went to puerto plata and stayed at the bahia principe and had a great time. it's not a 5 star, i think it's a 4 but you should have a great time with your friends there and it'll be pretty cheap.

go read reviews at tripadvisor.com and debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com
Thank you for the input! :D