Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2906 posts
63 upvotes

Negative Balance on Credit Card

Quick question,

I have a negative balance on my credit card because Amazon.com gave me back some money for their export fee. It seems like it was lowered, so they gave back the difference.

This card I haven't used for a while. Will this negative balance prevent the account from going into deactivation? This is my oldest card (since first year uni), but I don't use this card because I have an RBC Avion and MBNA SC.

Thanks,

Sam
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1804 posts
161 upvotes
No it won't prevent that for happening. If they want to close the account, they will send you a cheque with a notice.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
43 upvotes
NO...Its negative balance. You dont owe CC company.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
CIBC has a service charge of ~$10/year for a dormant, unused account, with a credit balance.

RBC may have the same, which will eventually soak up any credit balance.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2906 posts
63 upvotes
Thanks for the quick response!

I got my answer from the above.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2082 posts
183 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 2:12 pm
CIBC has a service charge of ~$10/year for a dormant, unused account, with a credit balance.

RBC may have the same, which will eventually soak up any credit balance.

I think that only kicks in after several years of inactivity. I stopped using a dividend card early in 2008, and then in December I received a $1.xx rebate. It wasn't until about 3 weeks ago that I finally found it and went to buy a pack of gum, and there were no fees charged.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7737 posts
3647 upvotes
GSRee wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 2:57 pm
I think that only kicks in after several years of inactivity. I stopped using a dividend card early in 2008, and then in December I received a $1.xx rebate. It wasn't until about 3 weeks ago that I finally found it and went to buy a pack of gum, and there were no fees charged.
With most of the creditors, the fee is billed after the credit balance has been sitting on the account for 12 months.
× < >