Computers & Electronics

Negative Review on Acanac. No service and lost home phone number.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2012 2:20 pm
Banned
Nov 1, 2010
16 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Negative Review on Acanac. No service and lost home phone number.

Hi.

I have promised a review once I switched out of Acanac in my previous post. I registered for a long time and didn’t post anything, since I did not think any company could provoke me to this point (not even Rogers who charged ~$200 by “accident”).

In short, I would in the future personally AVOID ACANAC LIKE A PLAGUE.

There was no service provided by Acanac from start, no customer service, lost money since I bought “non-fundable” equipment, extra cost to my cell + travel due to no internet/voip, and lost my home phone number since they REFUSE to provide VOIP invoice (since I ordered the bundle).

So far I called the credit card company to stop payment, and filed a complaint to CCTS. In total, by dealing with Acanac for the past 1month, I lost my home phone number and ~ $400-500 (not including the charge on credit card).

WARNING. Really long post below, I just want to write in detail and get it out of my system. Maybe even possibly help new customer to avoid what I gone through.

Now time for the long story, feel free to ignore it. Going to break this into parts:

Order Phase

I ordered Cable and voip bundle service on August 20th, no one even cared to call me to tell the order was not processed due to missing modem info, I had to call and find out after days of waiting.

Acanac charged credit card on signup, not on the installation date. As an accountant, I can tell you in “theory” they should not do this.

I paid around $150 on voip apa and cable modem, which now is just two piece of junk at home thanks for Acanac.

Installation and troubleshooting

After installation on Sept 8, internet never came up. At the same time I don’t have VOIP (since it require internet).

Called their tech support, was automatically hangup since the waiting list is longer than 1 hour. I got “lucky” once when the system didn’t hangup, ‘You are caller #4, the waiting is 15min”, then after 1hour of waiting “You are caller #19, the waiting is 30min”… I don’t know how Acanac do their count downs.

The only “real” person I was able to get hold of was their sales, whom doesn’t even care. I asked for their manager, and was told “we don’t have manager” (later called back and told them I am recording it, one argued they had “team leader”, so not their problem cuz asked for the wrong person).

Acanac’s solution is that you must file ticket online, even customer doesn’t have internet. Other than ticket, I also posted on Acanac forum and said I can’t travel outside to check ticket, then go home to look, then out again to update. I also complaint about the extra cost due to this, since I have to pay for internet outside. I was told by their “loyal customers” it’s my problem that I don’t want to go someplace with free internet to do my professional work. An other "customer" said he would not pickup if someone called a dozen time (Why would I call a dozen time if someone answered the phone the first time?)

After filing 2 tickets online and waited for days, I finally got someone. A lady called my cell phone at 0.40per min (She was nice enough to call rather than update ticket online. I don’t take it personally towards their employee). This “relationship” lasted for nearly 2 weeks they finally decide to send a technician (I asked on day 1 to send someone, since I had similar experience before, and I am 99% sure it’s the switchbox outside).

I took time off and waited three days, no show (they forgot to tell me they cancelled again). I finally got fed up and switched to different ISP. This entire time, I lost ~$400-500 dealing with Acanac.

Aftermath – Port my number to new ISP

The new ISP need a VOIP invoice to port over my old number from Acanac. The problem is Acanac said “As we said before, your Softphone service is free, so we can not sent invoice to you.” Its free because it’s a BUNDLE. Again, as accountant, their billing can provide a 0 value invoice to help customer, but no.

This means, since I didn’t pay $19.99 extra per month when I could get it for free, I lost my phone number for dealing with Acanac (Its going to be so fun calling Service Canada, and other organizations, to update info and be put on hold for hours).

As for the refund for the charges to credit card, I am “waiting” indefinitely. So its best that I call credit card for them to start investigation, and also file a complaint on CCTS.

Everything said here I can backup.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
js55203 wrote: Hi.

I have promised a review once I switched out of Acanac in my previous post. I registered for a long time and didn’t post anything, since I did not think any company could provoke me to this point
so your goal of registering to this forum was to only post about companies that provoked you? Thanks for contributing.
Banned
Nov 1, 2010
16 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
r1lee wrote: so your goal of registering to this forum was to only post about companies that provoked you? Thanks for contributing.
No. I registered and I didn't have the need to visit for long time. I am writing now so other people doesn't go though this experience I went through.

Also, update. I check Acanac forum, I believe the orginal post was deleted.
Banned
Nov 1, 2010
16 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Also I mentioned that in the beginning because I know there will be sarcastic people that says "You don't live in redflagdeal forum and don't even have over thousand postings, so you must be an employee from a different ISP that tries to make Acanac look bad".
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
stay away from them. i keep telling ppl.
Sep 10, 2004
525 posts
91 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks, js55203. I'm shopping for an alternative to Bell home phone and will definitely cross Acanac off my list of possibilities.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
Gives VOIP number as his contact number to government, then switched his internet service between indie ISP every year or 2... Seems like a good idea to me.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Banned
Nov 1, 2010
16 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
infamouskid wrote: stay away from them. i keep telling ppl.
Its my fault that I didn't do a proper search before placing the order. I only saw your postings afterwards when I experience problem with them ><

Portwest wrote: Thanks, js55203. I'm shopping for an alternative to Bell home phone and will definitely cross Acanac off my list of possibilities.
I am glad I didn't type all these for nothing, even if only one person see it =)

To be fair, I don't know how their service is (since I never get any). There is also the possibility of that I am biased or maybe its rare occasion. I am not liable as I am not telling people what they should or shouldn't do, just a detailed list of my personal experience and feeling. I am not making recommendations, just review personal findings (I hope it got nothing to do with external auditing habit)...

Agafaba wrote: Gives VOIP number as his contact number to government, then switched his internet service between indie ISP every year or 2... Seems like a good idea to me.
Please don’t take it personally... I am not sure what country you live in, but I believe Canadian government do ask for HOME PHONE NUMBER.

Plus I kept the current number for the past 5 or 6 years, and only made change to new ISP this year due to service plan change. If you read more closely, I signup this year and only stayed with Acanac for 2 weeks before I get fed up due to no service, that's why I switched again.

Jimboski wrote: +1.
You posted too quickly... Had to edit to include ><
Jul 24, 2009
38 posts
5 upvotes
From my personal experience, I recommend Teksavvy, best service and 300G data per month.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
js55203 wrote: Its my fault that I didn't do a proper search before placing the order. I only saw your postings afterwards when I experience problem with them ><

I am glad I didn't type all these for nothing, even if only one person see it =)

To be fair, I don't know how their service is (since I never get any). There is also the possibility of that I am biased or maybe its rare occasion. I am not liable as I am not telling people what they should or shouldn't do, just a detailed list of my personal experience and feeling. I am not making recommendations, just review personal findings (I hope it got nothing to do with external auditing habit)...

Please don’t take it personally... I am not sure what country you live in, but I believe Canadian government do ask for HOME PHONE NUMBER.

Plus I kept the current number for the past 5 or 6 years, and only made change to new ISP this year due to service plan change. If you read more closely, I signup this year and only stayed with Acanac for 2 weeks before I get fed up due to no service, that's why I switched again.

You posted too quickly... Had to edit to include ><
I dont think VOIP was what they had in mind when they asked for a home phone number, landline is the most dependable option although they are more than willing to accept mobile if you dont have a landline.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
where is all the outcry? I thought it wasnt smart to trust single digit posters when it came to opinions on ISP.
Jul 3, 2009
338 posts
59 upvotes
based on my experience with Acanac, I don't recommend them.

My voip on Acanac dsl was not good , teksavvy works for me much better.

And Acanac couldn't upgrade my speed to the one they promised, but teksavvy did.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone who comes to this forum knows to stay away from Acanac. It seems your first mistake was not visiting RFD enough.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
been with acanac for years.
overall, i had more problems with other ISPs i've used in the past, bell, rogers, primus, etc.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
ippon wrote: been with acanac for years.
overall, i had more problems with other ISPs i've used in the past, bell, rogers, primus, etc.

Acanac cable or dsl?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
rageking wrote: Acanac cable or dsl?
i've used both. currently cable.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
acanac plain sucks.
if it works it works.
but once a problem arrives their CSR's are clueless when it comes to troubleshooting.
their billing is a joke and trying to cancel is like trying to find osama bin laden.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
ippon wrote: i've used both. currently cable.
Do they purposely slow you down during 6pm - midnight as their page says they reserve the right to do so, for cable internet?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
haven't noticed any slow downs.
couple of time, my connection got reduced to 'lite' level, but a phone call fixed that. their phone techs have been good with me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)