Computers & Electronics

Negative Review on Acanac. No service and lost home phone number.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2012 2:20 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
I have heard so many mixed reviews about Acanac. Poor OP!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
rageking wrote: Do they purposely slow you down during 6pm - midnight as their page says they reserve the right to do so, for cable internet?
They only slow you down if there is heavy internet usage, its either they do that you you pay more as buying more lines got a lot more expensive after the CRTC decision.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
Agafaba wrote: They only slow you down if there is heavy internet usage, its either they do that you you pay more as buying more lines got a lot more expensive after the CRTC decision.
they can enforce this with impunity anytime. cable or dsl.
its not if there is heavy usage they just do it.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Their website says that during certain parts of the day you will be forced to use slower speeds?

What a load of bull crap
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14957 posts
2917 upvotes
Toronto
It's not that hard to port out. Just get the authorization key or account number and go to Mobilicity to port it for you. They usually don't really care and as long as you provide the correct auth key or acct number the port will go through.

You may also want to try and other carrier's prepaid service. They're generally really good about porting. At wind however, I needed an invoice.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
infamouskid wrote: they can enforce this with impunity anytime. cable or dsl.
its not if there is heavy usage they just do it.
So you think that they cut your speeds even when they have extra bandwidth available on purpose? What possible reason would they have to do this, it wouldnt save them any money...
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Agafaba wrote: So you think that they cut your speeds even when they have extra bandwidth available on purpose? What possible reason would they have to do this, it wouldnt save them any money...
It's in the contract you sign // terms of service

For example with their DSL.

http://www.acanac.com/DSL.html

They drop your 12 down to 6. Drop your 6 to 3 etc. It's allowed to happen during their Peak Hour - 7PM to 12AM.

They probably can save money because they might not need to have as many servers or hardware running during the time when most people are home, 7PM - 12AM.

This is also another reason why you should just pay the extra ~$10.00 or so a month and just go teksavvy unlimited
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
sorry but those hours are when the net is needed to be fast not slowed.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
infamouskid wrote: sorry but those hours are when the net is needed to be fast not slowed.
Which is why I went with Teksavvy
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Also went with Teksavvy. Distributel I probably would have for unlimited, but they refuse to allow anything other than their Huawei modems onto the network, and that modem isnt an approved modem with other Cable ISP companies. I dont like being locked in due to shady policies.
Banned
Nov 1, 2010
16 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Agafaba wrote: where is all the outcry? I thought it wasnt smart to trust single digit posters when it came to opinions on ISP.
Look, I am just posting my personal experience, and let other people decide for their own. I am sure you wouldn't find many outcries here because most readers are reasonable, and they understand it’s a personal experience. This is not a new user who tries to advertise anything, but merely sharing own experience; I don't see why any reasonable person could hate it.

Even from your first reply, I don't see what you are trying to achieve.
hpad06 wrote: based on my experience with Acanac, I don't recommend them.

My voip on Acanac dsl was not good , teksavvy works for me much better.

And Acanac couldn't upgrade my speed to the one they promised, but teksavvy did.
Yeah. I have no problem with the new ISP so far, got it online within a week.
Hello- wrote: Anyone who comes to this forum knows to stay away from Acanac. It seems your first mistake was not visiting RFD enough.
Yes, that is my fault. However, as you can read above, there are some users who prefer new users post nothing other than sing praises to old users... This is the reason I didn't put much weight on public forums, as its hard to tell if it is valid post or just some upset teenager venting.
ippon wrote: been with acanac for years.
overall, i had more problems with other ISPs i've used in the past, bell, rogers, primus, etc.
Well, its possible. I mentioned before this could be a rare situation for me, as it is just personal experience.
Banned
Nov 1, 2010
16 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Geez there is a second page? I usually try to reply to all comments... Given that I don't have the time, and not in habit of forum surfing... I will only reply when I can... Not ignoring anyone...
wilsonlam97 wrote: It's not that hard to port out. Just get the authorization key or account number and go to Mobilicity to port it for you. They usually don't really care and as long as you provide the correct auth key or acct number the port will go through.

You may also want to try and other carrier's prepaid service. They're generally really good about porting. At wind however, I needed an invoice.
I will give it a try when I am free. I am not sure if they can do voip, but will ask. Thanks~
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
Agafaba wrote: So you think that they cut your speeds even when they have extra bandwidth available on purpose? What possible reason would they have to do this, it wouldnt save them any money...
you would think that. but one look on DSLR and you'll soon understand.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)