[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1111 posts
248 upvotes
Brampton, ON

Negotiate pay

Hi everyone,

I am approaching the end of my 3 month probation period and was told by the lady who hired me that I will get a pay raise upon completion.

I already know how much the raise will be but she never discussed anything beyond this pay raise. For example, what my next raise will be or when it will be.

My question I have is then how do I negotiate this? I plan to email her and ask a meeting to discuss the expected raise, but then what? Do I ask her when the next raise will be or can I try and be bold and ask for a bigger raise now because I don't plan on staying with this company for another year.

This is the first place I have ever worked that does not have a fixed salary table which means I need to learn and negotiate.

Thank you for the input.
7 replies
Nov 29, 2005
276 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Was this ever in "black and white" in your offer letter...if not, they don't have to honour it....you can try but most companies won't....

I was "verbally" promised a pay raise after my probation and it was never written black and white, the manager eventually gave me bunch of white lies and it was never written so I had no leverage...

So you need to know how to protect yourself
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1111 posts
248 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Thanks for the reply.

My contract does state the raise after probation but does not state anything about future raises etc.

I will however try and get it all in writing when I go and meet with HR.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3078 posts
1097 upvotes
Edmonton
flyingnurse wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:51 pm
Thanks for the reply.

My contract does state the raise after probation but does not state anything about future raises etc.

I will however try and get it all in writing when I go and meet with HR.
Trying to "plan" your raises when you're barely out of probation seems presumptuous to me. You should be thinking about how you can add value to the company and your career path. But then again, you only plan on being there for a year, so... How many raises do you hope to get in a year?

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1111 posts
248 upvotes
Brampton, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:36 pm
Trying to "plan" your raises when you're barely out of probation seems presumptuous to me. You should be thinking about how you can add value to the company and your career path. But then again, you only plan on being there for a year, so... How many raises do you hope to get in a year?

C
Those are fair remarks and questions. I know I am going to pass probation (about a week left), I am not saying that to be cocky or whatever but let's just say I passed it.

I have no intention of making this company better because the administration is all about money and lacks leadership skills. I know why I tooK this job and I took it knowing I was going to be underpaid. I don't want any bad blood but the raise I expect to get after probation is still putting me in the underpaid category.

I basically want to know if I should ask for more now when I meet the HR person.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3078 posts
1097 upvotes
Edmonton
flyingnurse wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:45 pm
Those are fair remarks and questions. I know I am going to pass probation (about a week left), I am not saying that to be cocky or whatever but let's just say I passed it.

I have no intention of making this company better because the administration is all about money and lacks leadership skills. I know why I tooK this job and I took it knowing I was going to be underpaid. I don't want any bad blood but the raise I expect to get after probation is still putting me in the underpaid category.

I basically want to know if I should ask for more now when I meet the HR person.
I would think it very unusual to "pre-negotiate" a raise just after probation. I used to be a team lead, and if one of my team members came to me with a request like that, it would have gotten shot down so fast his head would be spinning. Prove your worth to the company and THEN talk about a raise. Raises are typically performance driven, not just because you show up on time each day. Even more so if the company is cheap, as it sounds like yours is. You would have to show them how you're adding value/saving them money, and then you can talk about a raise.

And getting multiple raises in a year? Good luck with that in today's economy. That's a general observation, no idea what your industry/market is like. They might as well just let you walk and hire someone new.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3078 posts
1097 upvotes
Edmonton
And I'm not trying to be rude, BTW. You might be a top performer and a wonderful human being, I have no idea. But with most companies, you have to show them justification for a raise. And you haven't done that if you're not even done your probation yet.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23020 posts
2020 upvotes
Aurora
flyingnurse wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:45 pm
I have no intention of making this company better because the administration is all about money and lacks leadership skills.
Based on your name, I'm assuming you're a nurse or in the medical field.

Your comment that the company is only concerned about money. How are you any different?

I understand that you plan to leave for greener pastures, but you need experience and people will question why your tenure was so short at your first position.

I would not mention your intentions to leave to anyone.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel