Automotive

Negotiating to Buy Used Car - help and opinions please?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 7:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 12, 2010
8 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa

Negotiating to Buy Used Car - help and opinions please?

Hi Everyone, this is my first post to the site but I have been reading off and on for a while.

Our "old" car bit the dust unexpectedly at Christmas (Merry Effing Christmas, eh?) so we are in the market to buy a new (to us) vehicle. We are not really in a hurry because we have access to someone else's second vehicle until we find something; however we would like to purchase something by the end of this month (Jan 2013) since we have read that salespeople might be more open to better deals when trying to meet their end of month quotas.

We are most interested in the Honda CR-V and we have found a 2007 that looks like a really good deal. We weren't originally going to go older than a 2009 but this particular vehicle is in excellent shape with only 41,000KMs. We looked at the CarProof and it is clean. It is only a 2WD but that is not important to us (but I thought it worth mentioning). The dealership is asking $15,900 with taxes included. It has been on their lot only since 17 Jan 2013. Yesterday, they sold a 2008-9 CR-V that had been sitting on their lot since Oct 31st (according to their website).

There are not many, if any, other 2007s on the market in our area right now (that I can find). I don't know if that means they aren't as popular or if they are in higher demand... ?

There are two 2009 CR-Vs for sale elsewhere that have also peaked our interest - one has slightly more KMs (66K) and the other has slightly less KMs (36K). I think both are 4WD and both are also listed at $15,900 (plus tax though). These are advertised through used car dealerships though and that doesn't thrill me due to past negative experience. Is it always better to buy newer even if the KMs are higher than the older model? Assuming similar condition. (We still have to have one/more inspected by our mechanic).

The Lemon-Aid book says that the 2009 is the best buy and 2007 is the 2nd best buy. The Consumer Reports magazines say that they are both rated above average so we are confident with either of these two years.

Now, this is where I get confused a bit...

According to my research, the following pricing applies to the 2007...

Lemon-Aid Book
Low - $10,000
High - $11,000
(Lists a good deal for the 2007 at $11,500)

Cdn Black Book
Low - $9,225
High - $10,900
(Avg asking price listed at $14,199)

... so far pretty close in range and appears to match what the dealer is asking (because $15,9 incl tax = $14070.80 sale price before tax)... but then...

VMRCanada.com
General wholesale - $12,2275
General retail - $14,900

w/41K plugged in - wholesale - $14,750
w/41K plugged in - retail - $17,450

Why such a difference? Which one do I use??

Of course when I asked the sales guy what they paid on it as a trade-in (just to see what he said) he said "$2000 over..." Yes, he let it trail off. Of course. $2000 over what??? Now, I didn't expect a straight answer but it is part of what is making me wonder if we are way off base with what we offered (which prompted me to find the VMR site values) because...

I started negotiations at $12,900 including tax based on the first two sources. I didn't expect to get that but hope/d for somewhere in the 13,000s. We left negotiations at $13,900 (tax in) on Monday morning expecting him to call us back that night or the next day but we haven't heard anything. This from the guy who called us Monday morning to see if we were coming in again after our first visit on Saturday. So he appeared eager to sell.

I realize we need to have our mechanic look at it before we buy it too. Didn't intend to negotiate before that but we were there and the carproof was clean... (Is a CarProof the same as a CarFax report?)

Anyway, that is the situation basically...

what do you think? I am confused about the stark difference in VMR vs the black book so wondering if we are totally off-base about what final numbers to expect? And I am not sure how to go about negotiating now... can I go back to lower 13s? restart or resume?

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts.
3 replies
Jan 14, 2007
507 posts
147 upvotes
GTA North
http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first- ... onda-cr-v/

Apparently 2007 was the first year for the front wheel drive (canada only) CRV per Autos.ca Also states price was $27,700 for the F(ront)WD LX and the EX with std AWD was $32,400 (no idea if those prices included freight and PDI but I doubt it)

CarProof better than carfax

Stick with your price. If they want to sell they will call.
Sep 9, 2008
382 posts
16 upvotes
I usually go with a black book plus profit after a close inspection of a condition of a vehicle. Remember to get the vehicle inspected by your mechanic. I think VMR site shows a "market" price for a car which are kind of in a ball park with what people are paying for their cars. Personally I'm more interested how much dealer paid for a car, and I try to offer a fair profit for them. In the end of the day, car is worth what people are WILLING to pay, that's it, not more, not less, so just stick with your price and see what happens.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
elle_dee_see wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:56 pm
There are not many, if any, other 2007s on the market in our area right now (that I can find). I don't know if that means they aren't as popular or if they are in higher demand... ?
The latter I suspect...generally speaking, the CRV has a great reputation across all it's model years.
elle_dee_see wrote:
There are two 2009 CR-Vs for sale elsewhere that have also peaked our interest - one has slightly more KMs (66K) and the other has slightly less KMs (36K). I think both are 4WD and both are also listed at $15,900 (plus tax though). These are advertised through used car dealerships though and that doesn't thrill me due to past negative experience. Is it always better to buy newer even if the KMs are higher than the older model? Assuming similar condition. (We still have to have one/more inspected by our mechanic).
Obviously, it depends on the price.

But if a newer, higher km vehicle option comes with different / upgraded specs & options & features ( i.e safety ) or has a bit more warranty left than the newer model year may make more sense.
elle_dee_see wrote:
A well maintained CRV should get you to 500,000km without any ' atypical issues ' either way IMO, so all other thing being equal, the kms difference may not be a huge issue.

The Lemon-Aid book says that the 2009 is the best buy and 2007 is the 2nd best buy. The Consumer Reports magazines say that they are both rated above average so we are confident with either of these two years.

Now, this is where I get confused a bit...

According to my research, the following pricing applies to the 2007...

Lemon-Aid Book
Low - $10,000
High - $11,000
(Lists a good deal for the 2007 at $11,500)

Cdn Black Book
Low - $9,225
High - $10,900
(Avg asking price listed at $14,199)

... so far pretty close in range and appears to match what the dealer is asking (because $15,9 incl tax = $14070.80 sale price before tax)... but then...

VMRCanada.com
General wholesale - $12,2275
General retail - $14,900

w/41K plugged in - wholesale - $14,750
w/41K plugged in - retail - $17,450

Why such a difference? Which one do I use??
Start with VMR retail and then reconcile those prices to actual dealer listings you see on-line - i.e AutoTrader, Carpages
elle_dee_see wrote:
Of course when I asked the sales guy what they paid on it as a trade-in (just to see what he said) he said "$2000 over..." Yes, he let it trail off. Of course. $2000 over what??? Now, I didn't expect a straight answer but it is part of what is making me wonder if we are way off base with what we offered (which prompted me to find the VMR site values) because...

I started negotiations at $12,900 including tax based on the first two sources. I didn't expect to get that but hope/d for somewhere in the 13,000s. We left negotiations at $13,900 (tax in) on Monday morning expecting him to call us back that night or the next day but we haven't heard anything. This from the guy who called us Monday morning to see if we were coming in again after our first visit on Saturday. So he appeared eager to sell.

I realize we need to have our mechanic look at it before we buy it too. Didn't intend to negotiate before that but we were there and the carproof was clean... (Is a CarProof the same as a CarFax report?)

Anyway, that is the situation basically...

what do you think? I am confused about the stark difference in VMR vs the black book so wondering if we are totally off-base about what final numbers to expect? And I am not sure how to go about negotiating now... can I go back to lower 13s? restart or resume?

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts.
See my post #20 in the link below for some pricing/ negotiating insights....

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/need-hel ... st15868226
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!