• Jul 14th, 2018 2:40 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
nanaimo, bc

Negotiating a new phone from a BYOD Virgin Mobile

Hey all,

I've been with Virgin Mobile for around 3-4 years on a BYOD plan. They recently upped the price of my plan and I am looking at other options but would prefer to stay with them. What I really want is a newer phone from them while staying.

Does anyone have any experience with negotiating for a better deal with Virgin. I haven't found any good deals similar to the Koodo ones posted recently but figured their must be some experiences on how to negotiate with them. I don't mind signing a 2 year contract but the prices are a bit steep compared to their BYOD.

Has anyone successfully gotten a new phone and kept their current plan but maybe signed a contract. I would absolutely love to stay on my current plan but get a new phone.

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Jan 13, 2017
109 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
What plan do you have with them right now?
[OP]
May 25, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
nanaimo, bc
I just switched to the $55 4gb plan when they upped my rate.
Jan 13, 2017
109 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
All their phones are alot more expensive now. The S8 used to be $0 for Platinum, now it's $89 for Diamond. And even if you keep your current rate, you'd still have to pay full price for the phone if you cancel early, unlike Koodo. I ported out from VM after 2 years because of this.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7085 posts
936 upvotes
I wish I coulda gave you my virgin mobile $50 6gb plan back in 2013/2014 before I ported out recently,
I switched to the koodo $45 8gb plan. Once I switched next day virgin mobile loyalty/rep called me back trying to win me over. They offered me $60 10gb + $100 activation credits and I politely declined.
May 8, 2009
5554 posts
1981 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Virgin is a very different beast compared to Koodo. Virgin is an awesome contender for upgrades, as they'll award you with same (or almost) signing bonus at 3rd party dealers (Walmart/BestBuy/TMS) in gift cards or points.

Generally, Virgin has ditched loyalty "plans" on silver, but they do have loyalty plans on gold and up. Can negotiate for 10% off /24 months and $10 off/12 months (it is possible to get both).

To offset device balance, sometimes 3rd party dealers can knock out upfront cost if under $100 or take the phone when there's a high upfront cost if you already have their in-house points or gift cards from other phones/offers. You can often pay the upfront cost of a phone in gift cards or points (no dice at BestBuy for thah, though). If you eat through a bigger upfront ticket on a phone, it'll leave you with a smaller device balance.

Deals will fluctuate from one day to the next and vary from one device to the next far more than on Koodo.

Other amusements with Virgin is that it shares Bell's consumer ToS, so no VoIP, no IOT data usage...that means if you call a buddy through WhatsApp, you're breaching their ToS. No word on getting shut down by carrier for it yet, but if they decide to enforce, we could end up with a lot of lolz on RFD.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)