• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2013 5:41 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 8, 2013
7 posts
MAPLE

Negotiating on a Used Mercedes Benz

Hi Guys: I am new to the forum, been lurking for a while though but glad to be apart of the community. Read on many great advice and saved a bunch. However I have not read anything on how to negotiate for a used mercedes. As of now I am looking for a ML350 Diesel (2012 to 2013, with less than 20 000km), however I am open to better options. This SUV will most likely go a bit above 2500 km per month, because I drive a lot for my business.

With that being said, how do you negotiate for used luxury vehicles to get a jaw-dropping deal? For new cars you usually shoot to go below invoice price, but for used cars there are a lot more variables. Who knows? Maybe the dealership leased a car at MSRP at a high interest rate? Surprisingly, this is not as rare as I thought when I spoke to other owners at the lounge area while servicing my car at my dealership. Hopefully other people will find this thread interesting as well, and I hope there will be people who will benefit immensely from this thread. In my opinion, depreciation sucks especially for Mercedes.

Also if you want any tips of negotiating on a new car, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Tip#1: Do not pay more than 8% off MSRP for a benz, unless it is a in-demand vehicle. Also 9%-10% isn't impossible, especially if you factor in fleet and club discounts. If you belong to a Mercedes Benz Club for a year, they will offer $1000-$1500 in discounts as a thank you.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15795 posts
2460 upvotes
Toronto
If you are buying from MB, the used cars (no matter what models) are pretty well controlled by MB head office. You are looking at a markup of about 25% above the fair value because they are marketed as CPO, therefore, in theory, you do have lots of wiggle room. But getting them to lower the asking price will take some mental toughness on your part, because if you don't succeed in one MB dealer, the other dealer price is basically almost the same.

I suggest your starting point is to try to find your vehicle in the non corporate owned MB dealers, such as Oakville, Barrie, to name a couple. At least their prices are more flexible than the corporated owned dealerships.
Aug 29, 2004
871 posts
143 upvotes
Too many variables IMO to have a solid idea of how to negotiate on used. I think there is usually more room to have the price reduced, but there are too many demand-side things that will change from city to city or province to province.

I've seen slightly used vehicles be much cheaper than new, but I've also seen the opposite. Usually on european vehicles used makes sense, in my opinion.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2013
7 posts
MAPLE
That's what I thought, but at least we have a place to start. Going to a non-corporate store does give you an advantage.
Jul 15, 2012
374 posts
21 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
They'll move on price - BUT....why not buy a brand new EcoDiesel 8-speed Grand Cherokee instead? 2500 km a month - you go brand new, and it'll cost the same as the old MB.

The Grand Cherokee and the MB were initially co-developed when Daimler and Chrysler were one, they share platforms. MB engineers made it ride and handle great and the Jeep engineers made it also be a killer off road vehicle. Both have air ride etc and can raise and lower automatically or with the touch of a button.

That platform is so good that Maserati will be basing their super SUV on it and there is another luxury manufacturer wanting to buy in on it too. The Jeep also uses the wicked ZF 8-speed (used by Porsche, Audi, Rolls Royce, Bentley) where the MB uses their own 7-speed. The Jeep uses the VM 3.0L diesel, MB uses their own (which ironically uses Fiat technology)

LOVE our 2012 Overland....maintenace is also a fraction of the MB, for essentially the same thing.

Looking at the Mercedes GL? Shared with the Dodge Durango....same thing again.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2013
7 posts
MAPLE
HellCat62 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 12:30 am
They'll move on price - BUT....why not buy a brand new EcoDiesel 8-speed Grand Cherokee instead? 2500 km a month - you go brand new, and it'll cost the same as the old MB.

The Grand Cherokee and the MB were initially co-developed when Daimler and Chrysler were one, they share platforms. MB engineers made it ride and handle great and the Jeep engineers made it also be a killer off road vehicle. Both have air ride etc and can raise and lower automatically or with the touch of a button.

That platform is so good that Maserati will be basing their super SUV on it and there is another luxury manufacturer wanting to buy in on it too. The Jeep also uses the wicked ZF 8-speed (used by Porsche, Audi, Rolls Royce, Bentley) where the MB uses their own 7-speed. The Jeep uses the VM 3.0L diesel, MB uses their own (which ironically uses Fiat technology)

LOVE our 2012 Overland....maintenace is also a fraction of the MB, for essentially the same thing.

Looking at the Mercedes GL? Shared with the Dodge Durango....same thing again.
I love the Grand Cherokee, much more than the ML350! However though it is not good to say, the Mercedes pays off through prestige in terms of getting business. Just as my tailored three-piece suits, and high-end watch. Though I can get business without any of the above, it is just way more effort. Since even before you speak, your appearance spoke for you.

For instance, when I was starting out I told a client that I could save him $10 000.00/month while revving his revenue up by 2.5% each year. It took him 3 months to actually switch over to me! On the other hand, I closed a deal for $100 000.00 per year when I just had my used C300 within two days.

Maybe my first year was hard, however when I took my mother's advice ten years ago of "looking the part," my business grew exponentially. This could have been a fluke, but I am not going to mess with it. To be honest I do not even need an ML350, I would have went with a 2013 E350 Bluetec but the facelift made the 2013 look dated. However I have not eliminated it as an option.

Again maybe I should not be saying this because many would get the wrong idea.
Jul 15, 2012
374 posts
21 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
I hear ya', lol. I was going to throw the stip in my post "unless you need the ML for your business".

In that case, it's obvious.

Well, I use to work for MB and I can assure you they'll move on price, especially if you happen on one of their Sunday pre-owned sales. HO gives the dealers lots of support money to pad up low ball offers made by customers, so you can do that, but a dealer at any other time will take a low ball offer too. The new style ML isn't selling well, the last generation ML out sold it by 2:1, and the new GL is now out selling the new ML due to its looks (I guess).

The one thing going for you is any 2 year lease ML's will now be returning, but they'll really be trying to move them come summer 2014 when the 3 year leases come flooding back in.
Aug 29, 2004
871 posts
143 upvotes
cielmikaelis wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 1:48 am
I love the Grand Cherokee, much more than the ML350! However though it is not good to say, the Mercedes pays off through prestige in terms of getting business. Just as my tailored three-piece suits, and high-end watch. Though I can get business without any of the above, it is just way more effort. Since even before you speak, your appearance spoke for you.

For instance, when I was starting out I told a client that I could save him $10 000.00/month while revving his revenue up by 2.5% each year. It took him 3 months to actually switch over to me! On the other hand, I closed a deal for $100 000.00 per year when I just had my used C300 within two days.

Maybe my first year was hard, however when I took my mother's advice ten years ago of "looking the part," my business grew exponentially. This could have been a fluke, but I am not going to mess with it. To be honest I do not even need an ML350, I would have went with a 2013 E350 Bluetec but the facelift made the 2013 look dated. However I have not eliminated it as an option.

Again maybe I should not be saying this because many would get the wrong idea.
Funny how this works. I have a f150 that's my business truck and keep a "toy" for the city and weekends. Had an R8, 335i, now a s5. If I ever drove that car to meet a client it would be the last business I ever did with them.

I guess with my background I realize how little success one really needs to drive a flashy car, but I won't for a second dispute how important image is.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2013
7 posts
MAPLE
scarface wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 12:42 pm
Funny how this works. I have a f150 that's my business truck and keep a "toy" for the city and weekends. Had an R8, 335i, now a s5. If I ever drove that car to meet a client it would be the last business I ever did with them.

I guess with my background I realize how little success one really needs to drive a flashy car, but I won't for a second dispute how important image is.
I completely agree, however what's funny is that I never considered a ML350 as a flashy car. It seems these days, the ML350 is a dime a dozen where I will see one almost every hour. For me a mid-level luxury car does the job. Just wanted to mention though that you phrased what I wanted to say in paragraphs, perfectly in a sentence. Image is important, however what you can contribute is even more important. I doubt I would close a deal within two days, much less than three months if I couldn't contribute.

Also I am glad to say that there are many people who judge you based on what you know, rather than how you look.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2013
7 posts
MAPLE
HellCat62 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 2:18 am
I hear ya', lol. I was going to throw the stip in my post "unless you need the ML for your business".

In that case, it's obvious.

Well, I use to work for MB and I can assure you they'll move on price, especially if you happen on one of their Sunday pre-owned sales. HO gives the dealers lots of support money to pad up low ball offers made by customers, so you can do that, but a dealer at any other time will take a low ball offer too. The new style ML isn't selling well, the last generation ML out sold it by 2:1, and the new GL is now out selling the new ML due to its looks (I guess).

The one thing going for you is any 2 year lease ML's will now be returning, but they'll really be trying to move them come summer 2014 when the 3 year leases come flooding back in.
Thank you, I never had thought of it like that. One question though, do they budge on 2013 models that have less 10 000KM on them? Is it even worth going for something like that or should I shoot for a well maintained ML350 with 25 000 km or less?
[OP]
Nov 8, 2013
7 posts
MAPLE
Also what do you think about finance rates? How low of a rate are they willing to go for a low-ball offer?
Jul 15, 2012
374 posts
21 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
cielmikaelis wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 1:10 pm
Thank you, I never had thought of it like that. One question though, do they budge on 2013 models that have less 10 000KM on them? Is it even worth going for something like that or should I shoot for a well maintained ML350 with 25 000 km or less?
For a 2013 with km, expect them to knock something like .15 cents per KM off the price. You should be able to find a '13 that hasn't left MB hands (demo) pretty easily like that.

Rates, they finance in-house and only in house (MBF) but they usually have 1.9% on pre-owned and .5% loyalty off the top if you've bought an MB before.

My advice is call a dealer or find out when the next Sunday sale is and attend. Low ball? Probably around $7000 - worst they'll say is no.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2013
7 posts
MAPLE
HellCat62 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 2:10 pm
For a 2013 with km, expect them to knock something like .15 cents per KM off the price. You should be able to find a '13 that hasn't left MB hands (demo) pretty easily like that.

Rates, they finance in-house and only in house (MBF) but they usually have 1.9% on pre-owned and .5% loyalty off the top if you've bought an MB before.

My advice is call a dealer or find out when the next Sunday sale is and attend. Low ball? Probably around $7000 - worst they'll say is no.
Some of these dealers list their ML350 with identical packages more than the 2014 model. So is discounting from msrp by 15% (rate of depreciation) + 8% too much?
Jul 15, 2012
374 posts
21 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
cielmikaelis wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 5:12 pm
Some of these dealers list their ML350 with identical packages more than the 2014 model. So is discounting from msrp by 15% (rate of depreciation) + 8% too much?
If they're listing used 13's for more than '14's its because they don't have enough used (lease return) ML's in stock yet. Compare used rates against new, again the ML's aren't moving and you might be able to get a brand new one, at an even lower rate, with an even bigger discount.

If they can give 7K off new C-class they can certainly do it on a new ML that is likely plugging up their inventory.

I'd try that angle, but you're gonna have to go talk to a salesman.
× < >