None
[OP]
Aug 5, 2011
135 posts
7 upvotes
NORTH YORK

Negotiation room for the price of a used car at a dealer

Hi,

I was wondering if I have a lot of negotiation room for the price of used car at a dealer. Is there usually an incentive if I pay cash over finance?

For example:
Honda civic 2013 Auto with 49500km is listed at $13995.

What are the things I should be looking for when negotiating for a used car?

Thanks!
3 replies
Oct 16, 2012
232 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
I have never owned or attempted to haggle with purchasing a car, but from the overhead a dealer puts on a financing deal is the one thing that drives them to have you finance instead of doing a one time payment.

Be prepared to walk away, I'm sure you won't buy on the spot but if a deal interests you that you visit more than once remember that you are holding the money and what your gut feeling (and carefully thought out finances) is what you should follow.

Have an independent mechanic check over the vehicle if necessary. If the dealer seems to have a reputable name in your neighbourhood then it might be an unnecessary move but it worth knowing what you're getting into literally.
Oct 27, 2013
818 posts
202 upvotes
Mississauga
I would go in offering him 13k on the road, but he'll likely settle at 14k on the road. Most of the time, I've been able to buy at the asking price but including all taxes and fees, which can be significant e.g. on a $33k car. Cash may or may not matter, depends on the dealer, but if you're not looking to pay cash, bring it up after negotiations.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7630 posts
1513 upvotes
Do your research and find more than one dealer with the make/model of car and let them know that is what you are doing, such as a RFQ email cc to all and basically the best price gets your business, include out of town dealers on the bid.

Condition of subjected to inspection on agreement is key and cash doesn't do anything. They don't get a cut from you for financing like they would otherwise.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: