• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2010 2:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
27 posts

Neighbor above making noise in the early morning

My girlfriend and I live in an apartment building and we have this neighbor above our apt. who constantly makes noise in the early morning, like 5AM, 6AM.We understand that the neighbor is a senior citizen so she gets up pretty early and we've been very tolerant for the past 2 years.

But one day she made the noise so early and so long so we sent a note asking her politely not to make the noise so early.

To our surprise, she actually came down and knocked our door, saying she only made this noise one time and how she didn't like receiving the note. (I don't understand why because the note was very polite)

When I told her that i've been hearing the noise for so long, she completely denied it, saying that's impossible because she gets up like 7:30, 8AM.

Either both my girlfriend and I are hearing things or this is a big fat lie. So now i turn to the collective wisdom of RFDer and ask what would you do to let her admit that she's lying? Have you had any experience with bad neighbors before?

(I've been thinking about using a digital recorder, but that would only prove the noise, cannot prove the time of the noise, right? because she can argue the time stamp can be easily changed)
Share:
51 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
33 upvotes
Etobicoke
fight fire with fire. start banging on the ceiling at 12am. she will leave a note to which you will confront her and deny any noise. if she complains to the super say she is a delirious old lady who likes to make up stories. continue banging until she stops and then you stop too.
Kherani wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:30 pm
I'm getting my learners permit soon, and I understand that you need to do a written test. Whenever I ask my older friends about it, they tell me to read "the book". What is this book they're referring to?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9964 posts
1835 upvotes
Oakville
tyfriend wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 12:20 pm
fight fire with fire. start banging on the ceiling at 12am.
Lol, exactly what I was thinking ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4934 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SG1 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 12:01 pm
My girlfriend and I ... *snip*

So now i turn to the collective wisdom of RFDer

*snip*
Run. Run as far away as you can from here.
Don't look back.
York Region is best region!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
56 upvotes
Burlington
Is she blaring Black Sabbath at 6 am? Or is she just walking around and you're hearing it because your apartment building has crap soundproofing?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13034 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto
Loud noisy sex, early and often.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2433 posts
40 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 12:36 pm
Loud nasty sex, late and often.
Fixed it for you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7007 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Whenver she makes the noise go up, knock on her door and tell her to stop that. Also you can get ear plugs, they work wonders.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1929 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
xalex0 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 12:45 pm
Whenver she makes the noise go up, knock on her door and tell her to stop that. Also you can get ear plugs, they work wonders.
she might be disabled and file a human rights complaint! :D
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1036 posts
4 upvotes
What sorta noise are we talking about there, more details i need the specs. Is it some "nasty" noise or say vacuum noise? Send another note to her again, if she fails then go talk to the GM of the building, then they will detail with her or he or whatever this creature is.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10457 posts
1186 upvotes
Markham
in a condo, sometimes you might think the noise is from upstairs
but it could be from down, side other side or across
64TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 48TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
32TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2012 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7007 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Zephyr22b wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 12:48 pm
What, is there also a law allowing disabled people to make noise whenever they want?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2367 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
SG1 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 12:01 pm
My girlfriend and I live in an apartment building and we have this neighbor above our apt. who constantly makes noise in the early morning, like 5AM, 6AM.We understand that the neighbor is a senior citizen so she gets up pretty early and we've been very tolerant for the past 2 years.

But one day she made the noise so early and so long so we sent a note asking her politely not to make the noise so early.

To our surprise, she actually came down and knocked our door, saying she only made this noise one time and how she didn't like receiving the note. (I don't understand why because the note was very polite)

When I told her that i've been hearing the noise for so long, she completely denied it, saying that's impossible because she gets up like 7:30, 8AM.

Either both my girlfriend and I are hearing things or this is a big fat lie. So now i turn to the collective wisdom of RFDer and ask what would you do to let her admit that she's lying? Have you had any experience with bad neighbors before?

(I've been thinking about using a digital recorder, but that would only prove the noise, cannot prove the time of the noise, right? because she can argue the time stamp can be easily changed)
so has she done it again? or has it stopped? if it has i would just let it go... i wouldn't recommend fighting fire with fire like other posters have stated.... that could just end up in a long imature war with both sides losing... better to try and resolve the problem.. next time she makes this loud noise at 6am go up and knock on her door and talk to her in person... if it continues after that talk to the super
Deal Addict
May 15, 2010
2001 posts
112 upvotes
North York
Get a dog and teach it to bark non-stop.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
27 posts
Zephyr22b wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 12:48 pm
She is actually in wheelchair (We didn't know that until she came down and talked to us). The noise she made varies. Sometimes it's like dragging heavy stuff across the floor. Sometimes it's like hammering stuff, sometimes it's like dropping stuff on the floor multiple times.

Since the apt. floor has no carpet and has crappy soundproofing, plus the nature of being so early, we can hear it very clear in the morning.

The other thing I don't understand is: the note was very polite and basically we just wrote "please be considerate and do not make noise in the early morning. thank you". And she came down and told us that she doesn't want to receive any other note, otherwise she will talk to the super because she won't take this kind of "threat". How come that's a "threat"? since when asking people be considerate becomes a "threat" ? :confused:
× < >