Home & Garden

Neighbor's new ventilation blowing large amount of fume/steam to my private driveway

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 11:34 am
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes

Neighbor's new ventilation blowing large amount of fume/steam to my private driveway

According to attached picture, when I was backing up my car into driveway tonight the windshield is suddenly covered by large amount of white steam. I got out of the car and found my neighbor installed a new ventilation today and its blowing across my private driveway right into the wall of my house.

I'm going to talk to my neighbor tomorrow but before I speak to him, I hope someone can share some tips if this is valid and if there is any bylaw or building code I can use to protect myself in case he refuses to act.

Thank you

IMG_4761[1].JPG
30 replies
Mar 18, 2012
38 posts
9 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
If it's got more than 5ft of clearance to your wall it should be fine. Don't part your car in front of it.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes
but the steam is actually hitting my wall. Is this rule from bylaw ?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2706 posts
189 upvotes
Youre screwed and have no recourse so long as it has 7 ft clearance and it’s not a shared driveway

Now, you may have some recourse being that it looks like it blows directly at your window, but that still doesn’t technically violate any codes

7' above the paved driveway (code: 8.14.8 (b): A Vent shall not terminate less than 7 ft (2.1 m) above a paved sidewalk or a paved driveway that is located on public property). the code in your post is 8.14.8
Last edited by Red_Army on Nov 14th, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes
Is there any rules for the diameter of the pipe tho ? It very obvious that the steam has high velocity to blow further away.
I've been living in house for many years but this is my first time ever seeing someone would install their ventilation to blow right across neighbor's driveway at 6 ft tall.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1032 posts
207 upvotes
try to work with him on having it pointed higher maybe or routed to the front and pointed at the road
In the end, it is steam, is the concern it will condense on the house and cause a freeze/thaw on the bricks?
Mar 18, 2012
38 posts
9 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:20 pm
7' above the paved driveway (code: 8.14.8 (b): A Vent shall not terminate less than 7 ft (2.1 m) above a paved sidewalk or a paved driveway that is located on public property). the code in your post is 8.14.8
But it's not a public driveway. So as stated, screwed. It adhears to the law. The 7 ft rule allows for the furnace gasses to dissipate before hitting the building, most likely it's 90% moisture that's coming out of that pipe anyways.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2706 posts
189 upvotes
RHarrison wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:28 pm
But it's not a public driveway. So as stated, screwed. It adhears to the law. The 7 ft rule allows for the furnace gasses to dissipate before hitting the building, most likely it's 90% moisture that's coming out of that pipe anyways.
Did you not read my first sentence?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes
veryboredguy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:27 pm
try to work with him on having it pointed higher maybe or routed to the front and pointed at the road
In the end, it is steam, is the concern it will condense on the house and cause a freeze/thaw on the bricks?
Freeze wall is one concern, in fact they never fix their rain gutter so i've been having problem with potential icicle hazard for years.
There would be so many other concerns but at the end of day who wants their driveway covered with steam for the whole winter ?
tell me if im just being a jerk
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2865 posts
768 upvotes
Paris
Ask if you can put an elbow on it to aim up, down, or sideways whichever route is best.

It does seem a wee nitpicky.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39170 posts
1351 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Every pipe I've seen installed points up, not sure why it's not the case of OP's neighbour, or is it just my neighbourhood that's like that?

Definitely talk to them, but I bet if OP added an elbow himself the neighbour would never notice it.
**BRAND NEW** APC Back-UPS 650VA 7 Outlet $65
**Reg $90+tax**

Silver Coins | APC Back-UPS 650VA | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2706 posts
189 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:06 pm
Every pipe I've seen installed points up, not sure why it's not the case of OP's neighbour, or is it just my neighbourhood that's like that?

Definitely talk to them, but I bet if OP added an elbow himself the neighbour would never notice it.
This is done to prevent things from dropping into the lines, rain, snow, icicles debris etc. and so that it’s not blowing directly into your attic soffit
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes
Does anyone know if property line has anything to do ? Refer to the picture, the whole driveway is within my property lines.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5554 posts
953 upvotes
Maple
Should it be pointing down? To avoid rain, snow, critters, etc.
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:06 pm
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39170 posts
1351 upvotes
Richmond Hill
On second thought, I think the ones I've seen pointed up does elbow back sideways, but I haven't seen anyone's steam travel as far as 7ft like the OP claims.

OP, are you required to give any access to the driveway to your neighbour or is it completely private? If it's completely private, wouldn't you be able to do anything you want on your driveway to prevent the steam from hitting your house?
**BRAND NEW** APC Back-UPS 650VA 7 Outlet $65
**Reg $90+tax**

Silver Coins | APC Back-UPS 650VA | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback