Home & Garden

Neighbor's new ventilation blowing large amount of fume/steam to my private driveway

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 11:34 am
Apr 13, 2003
419 posts
162 upvotes
Scarborough
teoconca wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:33 pm
Should it be pointing down? To avoid rain, snow, critters, etc.
I've seen installers also install a T on the end. That way things can fall straight though and it's not directed outwards.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:38 pm
On second thought, I think the ones I've seen pointed up does elbow back sideways, but I haven't seen anyone's steam travel as far as 7ft like the OP claims.

OP, are you required to give any access to the driveway to your neighbour or is it completely private? If it's completely private, wouldn't you be able to do anything you want on your driveway to prevent the steam from hitting your house?
The driveway has more than 8 ft, as you can see from picture it does travel all the way to my wall. I think the reason is because his PVC pipe is only 3 inch, for the size of his house (3+bedroom) requires pipe to be more that 5.9 inch (according to Ontario Building Code). Therefore 3 inch pipe gives steam more velocity to travel.

The driveway is completely within my property line, therefore it is completely private to my household. your question was exactly my question, can I do anything as it blows across my private property and hitting my own wall ? I was seeking for some legal and technical advice.
Last edited by ruffy459 on Nov 14th, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2507 posts
895 upvotes
ruffy459 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:21 pm
Does anyone know if property line has anything to do ? Refer to the picture, the whole driveway is within my property lines.
Politely ask your neighbour if they could put a 45 elbow on so as not to directly shoot at your house. If the furnace installation manual says they can they might be able to stick a tee on either pointing up/down or sideways.

https://theoccupantsguide.files.wordpre ... -pipes.png
https://www.hpacmag.com/wp-content/uplo ... 665117.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
Just stick a tee on it. It's unlikely that your neighbour will ever notice and will probably think the installer put it there.

Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
ruffy459 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:54 pm
The driveway has more than 8 ft, as you can see from picture it does travel all the way to my wall. I think the reason is because his PVC pipe is only 3 inch, for the size of his house (3+bedroom) requires pipe to be more that 5.9 inch (according to Ontario Building Code). Therefore 3 inch pipe gives steam more velocity to travel.

The driveway is completely within my property line, therefore it is completely private to my household. your question was exactly my question, can I do anything as it blows across my private property and hitting my own wall ? I was seeking for some legal and technical advice.
Lol where are you getting this from
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Apr 8, 2010
455 posts
143 upvotes
toronto
some furnace needs to have a straight pipe and putting in an elbow or a t will affect the performance of the furnance
Aug 28, 2017
93 posts
143 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:31 am
Just stick a tee on it. It's unlikely that your neighbour will ever notice and will probably think the installer put it there.

Username checks out....
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
tebore wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:05 am
Anyone else think this is ridiculous and glad you're not the OP's neighbour.

Just ask him to stick a T on it if it bothers you so much.
By now I'm sure he deserves it.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2371 posts
539 upvotes
Newmarket
tebore wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:05 am
Anyone else think this is ridiculous and glad you're not the OP's neighbour.

Just ask him to stick a T on it if it bothers you so much.
He said he will talk to the neighbour but in the meantime is asking for advice? The steam is blowing right at his window. Where do you see a problem in OP's approach or concerns.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
#FirstWorldProblems

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds to me like to neighbor had a high efficiency heater installed which ca direct vent out the wall instead of a chimney. Not much he/she can do about it because it has to vent where the heater is. As others have said, ask him to put a 90 or at least 45 degree end on the pipe. Other than that options are limited.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14182 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
Install a fan on your house to redirect the steam
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7805 posts
1885 upvotes
Brampton
Homerhomer wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:35 am
He said he will talk to the neighbour but in the meantime is asking for advice? The steam is blowing right at his window. Where do you see a problem in OP's approach or concerns.
The distance between two houses is at least a good car width apart and the pipe looks like it's several feet in the air.

The concern is there is no real concern most of that water vapor coming out will have dissipated before it's an issue to the OP.

You can literally see in the picture that the steam doesn't even make it half way before it's "out of steam"
Last edited by tebore on Nov 15th, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 18, 2009
635 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:19 am
Install a fan on your house to redirect the steam
And run it 24/7? I don't think that's the best solution