Home & Garden

Neighbour has built a room and housing residents at the back of a carport in their house without a building permit.

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2017 9:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2009
1283 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto

Neighbour has built a room and housing residents at the back of a carport in their house without a building permit.

I was wondering if I could possibly report them to the Toronto building permit office.

There's a kitchen, bathroom, and living space and I believe there are two people living there.

Would there be any penalties that they would have to face upon inspection?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4119 posts
922 upvotes
Sask.
If you can get to a phone, go for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2009
1283 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
natalka wrote: If you can get to a phone, go for it.
What if they're taking all the living stuff out, covering the signs of plumbing/electrical work that has been done, and getting rid of all the kitchen cabinets and toilet/washroom stuff and trying to make it look like a regular extension of the carport?

This room is located at the back of their carport with the front door in the backyard.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2469 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
And why do you care?
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13783 upvotes
Oakville
Kiteak wrote: trying to make it look like a regular extension of the carport?
That may also require a permit.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32375 posts
3180 upvotes
Winnipeg
pretty creative to do it diy
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4749 posts
641 upvotes
Calgary
jesguerra wrote: how does this directly impact your life?
Because this is Canada and we have societal rules and norms unlike third world countries.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
Cough wrote: Because this is Canada and we have societal rules and norms unlike third world countries.
So let's look over the fence and tattletale cause you're breaking the rules and that angers me? Do you also report speeding vehicles to the authorities as well?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2809 posts
925 upvotes
Newmarket
jesguerra wrote: how does this directly impact your life?
There is a potential to impact his life.
Increase in number of parked cars on the street.
The addition very close to the fence
Tenants hanging out by the fence (and in turn potential for noise, garbage, foot traffic).
Potential issues with water drainage
The addition too close to the property
Decrease in curb appeal of the neighbouring property since owner occupied properties are often better maintained than rentals

Don't know if that is the case here, but there is a possibility.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11063 posts
5437 upvotes
Brampton
How do you know that a building permit wasn't taken out? Was it because you didn't see the little green/white card in the window?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9838 posts
1945 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Those are all very possible issues however are any of them currently causing a real issue in his life right now? My guess is properly not. Maybe there is a valid reason for this living area or maybe there is a permit?

Anyways If its currently not causing issues in your life and there is no real safety issue then leave it alone. There is no reason to complain because 1 day you may not be doing something 100% by the books and somebody could call you in & I'm sure you would not like that either.

Homerhomer wrote: There is a potential to impact his life.
Increase in number of parked cars on the street.
The addition very close to the fence
Tenants hanging out by the fence (and in turn potential for noise, garbage, foot traffic).
Potential issues with water drainage
The addition too close to the property
Decrease in curb appeal of the neighbouring property since owner occupied properties are often better maintained than rentals

Don't know if that is the case here, but there is a possibility.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7613 posts
3669 upvotes
Paris
sickcars wrote: Those are all very possible issues however are any of them currently causing a real issue in his life right now? My guess is properly not. Maybe there is a valid reason for this living area or maybe there is a permit?

Anyways If its currently not causing issues in your life and there is no real safety issue then leave it alone. There is no reason to complain because 1 day you may not be doing something 100% by the books and somebody could call you in & I'm sure you would not like that either.
BIG difference between a small bylaw infraction and an illegal apartment in the garage. On a scale of small fines to "tear it down and big fines" this is pretty high up there.

I'm all for letting neighbours (and me) do whatever but an illegal residence with no building permits could cause all sorts of issues we don't even know about. I'd call it in, 100%.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11789 posts
9054 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Calling it in is a personal decision.

Over the years as a home owner, I have tended to overlook / turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff that goes on in my Neighbourhood... Unless there is true inconvenience to me, or outright danger.

I would probably not care too much about how many people are living under one roof... As long as say they kept all their cars on their own driveway and not clogging up the street. I would care less if they parked on their own lawn or did not cut their grass, or painted their house some outrageous color. These can be bylaw infractions, but Cosmetic. An eyesore is a PITA, but at the same time I believe in individual rights.

I would care about any sort of addition / building structure if I was worried about how it might impact my own property... Say a change in grading / or if I was an immediate neighbour (either side or behind) and wondering if their electrical is up to code. The danger of Fire or Flood is a real concern. Lots of time DIYers don't invest in an Electrician, and their self taught work is HORRENDOUS (check out any Mike Holmes show).

Electrical, Ground Slope & Property Line adherence are HUGE Issues when it comes to YOUR RIGHTS & SAFETY.

If you think those might be a concern with this add on... Then ya call City Hall to make inquiries to see if these folks ever got any sort of permits to do the work. If no, trust me, city hall will send out an Inspector.

PS ... I don't see this as being an Us vs Them thing in regards to Canadian Culture ... As others here have expressed (actually those comments border on offensive) I see it as a homeowner not being informed about what is required (lots of NEW Homeowners don't have a clue on how stuff works). OR someone blatantly choosing to skip the necessary Govt Paperwork. Lol, lots of dickheads in that category including Canadians born here.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2141 posts
1047 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: Calling it in is a personal decision.

Over the years as a home owner, I have tended to overlook / turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff that goes on in my Neighbourhood... Unless there is true inconvenience to me, or outright danger.

I would probably not care too much about how many people are living under one roof... As long as say they kept all their cars on their own driveway and not clogging up the street. I would care less if they parked on their own lawn or did not cut their grass, or painted their house some outrageous color. These can be bylaw infractions, but Cosmetic. An eyesore is a PITA, but at the same time I believe in individual rights.

I would care about any sort of addition / building structure if I was worried about how it might impact my own property... Say a change in grading / or if I was an immediate neighbour (either side or behind) and wondering if their electrical is up to code. The danger of Fire or Flood is a real concern. Lots of time DIYers don't invest in an Electrician, and their self taught work is HORRENDOUS (check out any Mike Holmes show).

Electrical, Ground Slope & Property Line adherence are HUGE Issues when it comes to YOUR RIGHTS & SAFETY.

If you think those might be a concern with this add on... Then ya call City Hall to make inquiries to see if these folks ever got any sort of permits to do the work. If no, trust me, city hall will send out an Inspector.

PS ... I don't see this as being an Us vs Them thing in regards to Canadian Culture ... As others here have expressed (actually those comments border on offensive) I see it as a homeowner not being informed about what is required (lots of NEW Homeowners don't have a clue on how stuff works). OR someone blatantly choosing to skip the necessary Govt Paperwork. Lol, lots of dickheads in that category including Canadians born here.
+1.
A very well balanced and insightful reply.