• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 9:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
98 posts
20 upvotes

neighbour playing loud music?

My neighbor from across the street most of the weekend playing his loud music in his garage. I am across from his house and annoying. Its so loud, the whole neighbor can hear the music.

[..]

Whats my next step? Can I call the cops? its loud and getting annoying. it goes for few hours. -Surprised the house next door did not say anything yet?
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 6th, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18938 posts
2519 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Don't be afraid to call the cops and complain.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1126 posts
567 upvotes
Do your Homework first...

What exactly are the noise bylaws for your Neighbourhood ?

You can find out such info on your Municipal website.

There are usually restrictions when it comes to hours & decibels.

Once you know the rules, and are sure the neighbour is pushing those limits call Bylaw or the Police.

But do be aware in many municipalities, that the call in is not Anonymous or Confidential... So your Neighbours may discover it is you who complained. If in doubt ASK FIRST before you file the complaint
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2402 posts
547 upvotes
Montreal
I would write a polite and anonymous letter first stating that the entire neighborhood is being inconvenienced by the loud music. See if that helps.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10274 posts
641 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You can always ask your neighbours on their thoughts, although this will make you less anonymous.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7829 posts
532 upvotes
My neighbour in Ottawa was/is like this. Music is very loud when it's just himself and epic loud when he has a house party. We have about 60ft of property between our houses and I could "shazam" his songs from within my house.

Neighbours and I use to call Ottawa by law but they were useless. By law would misquote the bylaws half the time to get out doing anything. They'd only do something when we started calling then out in specific sections of the code. Police was the best enforcement but usually too busy to show up and they'd only come after I think 2am? Before that was bylaws job.

To give you an idea how big of a d-bag the neighbor was, when told that he was out of warnings by bylaw and future visits came with a $400 fine, he said he didn't care, he'd just pay the $400 each time and have his parties because he had the $$$.

In the end, escalating the situation to the city councilor, chief of by law services, and 1 neighbour with an impending lawsuit against him seemed to do the trick.

The others are right though. When you log a compliant it's not anonymous. But if it bugs you enough, you don't care. I had to pound on the door once because bylaw wouldn't show up, my baby couldn't sleep. Even then it took 5 minutes of banging and ring the bell because the music was so loud no one could hear.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13895 posts
865 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 9:09 pm
My neighbor from across the street most of the weekend playing his loud music in his garage. I am across from his house and annoying. Its so loud, the whole neighbor can hear the music.

[..]

Whats my next step? Can I call the cops? its loud and getting annoying. it goes for few hours. -Surprised the house next door did not say anything yet?
So your neighbour is playing loud music on a long weekend? [..]
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 7th, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10106 posts
118 upvotes
What kind of music is it?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16555 posts
1000 upvotes
Niagara Falls
If it is constant make sure you start taking notes of the times the music is being played.

If it is a continuous noise the bylaws might prohibit that.

It is possible his neighbours are not as annoyed as you because the music is actually directed at your house, I'm sure not on purpose, but the speakers likely just aim at your house.

The first thing you should be doing is trying to talk to your neighbour. They might be able to redirect the sound towards their own garage instead, they might be able to turn it down.

Failing that, call the bylaws office and give them your notes of times the music is being played loud.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2920 posts
573 upvotes
Return the favor. Play your music to annoy him.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2687 posts
700 upvotes
Paris
My across the street neighbour has a heart of gold but can be a dumbass. He was playing music in his garage once, door open, around 9am and it sounded like he had a full marching band. I went outside ready to kill him (as did my next door neighbour who works shift) and the music wasn't that loud. It was reflecting off our back yard neighbour and into our back windows. Weirdest thing.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1049 posts
58 upvotes
Beamsville
Why don't you just walk over say Hi and ask if he could turn it down to a dull roar.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
98 posts
20 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 7:34 am
So your neighbour is playing loud music on a long weekend? [..]
its not just long weekend. its almost every Saturday.

It can get annoying if you have kids.

If he does it next time, i am definitely taking some actions. Why does he need the music so loud.. He has loud speakers..
Feb 25, 2015
706 posts
132 upvotes
York Region
Get some mid 90's bubblegum euro dance music and get your revenge.
May 28, 2017
204 posts
60 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 9:09 pm

Whats my next step?
Get ear plugs. Move. Lump it.

Basically you can't say or do anything, it is their right to enjoyment. It's none of your business. Noise bylaw is something like 10-11pm to 7 am. That's it.