Neighbour wants to share internet

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2013 10:30 pm
Aug 28, 2010
885 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I would never ever share my internet.
Many reasons for it including illegal downloading, illegal content (ie. how to make bombs) etc

NOT TO MENTION IF SHE DOWNLOADS OR STREAMS YOUR INTERNET SPEEDS WILL BE IMPACTED!!

Excellent excuse is your on Rogers Lite with 20GB a month of data. YOu already reach close to max cuz of Youtube. Sorry babe.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
spookie149 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 8:51 pm
My neighbour messaged me today and asked for my wifi password because she couldn't access hers. I said I was out and didn't know it off by hand, said she could drop by and plug in her laptop if she needed access tonight. She confessed she canceled her internet because Bell got too expensive, and again asked me for my password. I ignored the text. I'm probably going to say no because the whole thing gave me a weird vibe, but I would like to hear from others why it would be a bad idea. For what it's worth, she makes good money as an IT instructor.
If you really want to be nice, the following requires work though.
Limit bandwidth to 20mb a day, all she needs is email right?
Password protect file sharing, discovery, printing etc
Block off all restricted sites at least for the guest account, any attempt at accessing those sites, 3 strikes and you're out.

Introduce her to either start or teksavvy, give her a 1 month time limit, after that she's on her own.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Oct 19, 2012
923 posts
89 upvotes
Brampton
If your router has a guest feature then just let her use it, if she is a light user it won't affect your speed or monthly limit. Also, ask her to pay you $5-10 a month to help with the bill. That's like free money right there lol.
Nov 29, 2011
724 posts
127 upvotes
Milton
Just say no. Even if you went the nice route, there'd still be a point eventually where you'd want to get rid of her leeching and it'd be more awkward later than now. If she'd get annoyed either way, then if it wasn't this it'd be something else, and she'd obviously be of the manipulative type. There's free wifi everywhere these days, even Pizza Pizza and Tims.

If anything, just make up a BS excuse about how you reset/change your settings weekly or bi-weekly for security and then give her a link to more affordable internet.

If someone isn't using it for much then it'd be easy for her to find something. If you're a heavier user then in some areas you don't have the option of avoiding Rogers/Bell/Cogeco/etc but you don't need fast speeds for email and browsing.

(And of course if you're a heavier user then the cost you'd find justified.)
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
If she's in IT, in 30 minutes she can have your access with backtrack.

Change you password, and secure network more with MAC address filtering, changing SID and not sending SID.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6074 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
sgtplunder wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 8:55 pm
Sharing your Wifi account with someone you are either:

a) Not banging
b) Not raising as a result of banging the person you gave your Wifi password to

Is a bad idea.
THIS!...not only that, she could be a terrorist or part of sleeper cell, first she'll want wifi access then she'll start leaving things at your place and demand a key, next thing you know she'll try to leech off your hydro, gas, and cable TV and even worse she could end up getting half if she alleges you are common law...don't do it bro.

If you feel compelled to do this, make sure your getting some benefits in return (if you know what I mean), but if you do this and not smashing, I guarantee this will be start of your ending,

stop drop roll and then get up and run to the nearest exit and scream while screaming out Hellll NOOOO!
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
thread means nothing without pictures, or at least descriptions.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2291 posts
354 upvotes
Ottawa
zijin_cheng wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 9:04 am
If you really want to be nice, the following requires work though.
Limit bandwidth to 20mb a day, all she needs is email right?
Password protect file sharing, discovery, printing etc
Block off all restricted sites at least for the guest account, any attempt at accessing those sites, 3 strikes and you're out.

Introduce her to either start or teksavvy, give her a 1 month time limit, after that she's on her own.
I don't think OP ever mentioned this, but some other RFD'r may have somewhat made that assumption :lol:
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
theguyz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 10:31 am

Change you password, and secure network more with MAC address filtering, changing SID and not sending SID.
Lol I love that linux distro. It wouldn't work on my laptop because my wireless adapter wasn't broadcom
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3841 posts
77 upvotes
Hamilton
Hell NO!

tell her to go to hortons & use thier wifi...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
24759 posts
1214 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sonic wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 12:08 pm
Hell NO!

tell her to go to hortons & use thier wifi...
unless she is really hot and single
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
theguyz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 10:31 am

I don't think backtrack isn't guaranteed effective. I'm assuming you're talking about reaver, not all routers are vulnerable, and it takes more than 30 min most of the time. If someone knows how to use reaver, mac address filtering does nothing at all. I don't know what SID is...if you mean SSID, it also means absolutely nothing to someone who knows how to hack your wifi. Absolutely nothing. Its like someone is chasing you and you throw a penny on the ground to try to block them.
× < >