Pets

Neighbours on my street leaving thorned rose branches on lawn to deter dogs

[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
699 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto

Neighbours on my street leaving thorned rose branches on lawn to deter dogs

I have 2 neighbours down my street who are purposely leaving cut up thorned rose branches along their lawn by the edges, treess and fire hydrant. My dog has stepped on them once as I didn’t realize their intent. I do know these neighbours hate dogs as they give me dirty looks when I’m walking my dogs past their house. I even had one of them tell me walk a different direction. Now I try to avoid that route but sometimes do like to give my dogs a change in scenery. There is no proof that they are doing this for the intent to hurt so I don’t think theres an spca case here but is there something that can be done to report them to atleast the city for not cleaning up their damn lawn.

This is Richmond Hill Elgin Mills and Leslie area.
65 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2459 upvotes
Edmonton
There's a thread in the Home & Garden thread that has the home-owner's version of the same kind of story... What to do about dog owners whose pets are trashing their yards (urine killing plants, not scooping). All I can suggest (as a dog owner and home owner) is don't walk your dogs there. Not much else you can do.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2690 posts
198 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Didi_beee wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 4:50 pm
I have 2 neighbours down my street who are purposely leaving cut up thorned rose branches along their lawn by the edges, treess and fire hydrant. My dog has stepped on them once as I didn’t realize their intent. I do know these neighbours hate dogs as they give me dirty looks when I’m walking my dogs past their house. I even had one of them tell me walk a different direction. Now I try to avoid that route but sometimes do like to give my dogs a change in scenery. There is no proof that they are doing this for the intent to hurt so I don’t think theres an spca case here but is there something that can be done to report them to atleast the city for not cleaning up their damn lawn.

Report to the city. Tell they THEIR lawn is unsafe for YOUR dogs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7565 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
Menthol wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 5:45 pm
Report to the city. Tell they THEIR lawn is unsafe for YOUR dogs.
Ikr, the entitlement of some ppl. Do they even realize the words coming out of their mouth/typed out from their keybrds? Madness.

To be safe, maybe the neighbor is a psycho dog hater but I'm willing to bet some dogs took a #1 or #2 or did other mischief there, and that's the reason for such measures.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
255 upvotes
Keep your dog on the sidewalk and off their lawn as you walk by that house.
Jul 7, 2005
453 posts
82 upvotes
Your dog is your responsibility....just like you would take precautions for your dog when you know there will be salt on the pavement, you now know to take precautions around certain houses.

There is an older couple in my neighborhood that dislikes dogs on their lawn, when you've seen the amount of work they put into it....I'd be pretty pissed too if it was "tainted" for lack of a better word lol
Jun 14, 2017
309 posts
250 upvotes
Nothing wrong with what your neighbour is doing. At least they're not using chemicals or throwing chocolate pieces around. I find it pretty cleaver to utilize something organic and natural as a deterrent. It is their property and they don't want dogs, cats, raccoons and etc on their lawn.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4940 posts
774 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 4:50 pm

You do realize your dogs are trespassing on someone else's private property...?

It's not your neighbours' fault that your dogs are stepping on thorns or other debris on their property. It's your fault as the dog owner.

Stop allowing them onto someone else's property where they are unwelcome.

Stop allowing them to step on thorns.

Find some dog-friendly neighbors and ask them permission to let your dogs wander and play on their lawn. In the meantime, train or control your dogs better. That is your responsibility.

You may have a case for a fire hydrant, but not someone else's lawn.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
Where I live the outer edge of land beside the sidewalk/road is owned by the city. Home owners are responsible for its upkeep but they don't own it, the city does. So I've never had the issue nor perspective everyone here is talking about; the city would surely not tolerate dangerous thorns littering the land people walk by on a daily basis and dogs are always welcome. The only issue might be a deterrent such as a few bricks that owners may have placed to prevent cars parking directly in front of their property/destroying the grass, but even then it's a touchy subject and city workers may remove them.

If you're worried about it, report the home saying you're worried someone might fall on them. City might not be able to do anything though unless they're encroaching on public land. Seems like a dangerous thing to be placing thorns along a property line...
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1514 posts
195 upvotes
Markham
Horror of horrors. Someone is pissed off enough by dogs crapping on their lawn, dogs peeing and causing dead patches, raccoons digging up grubs, the mailman cutting across the grass, that they want to protect it.
Anybody that takes offense to it, is guilty of something including letting their dog lead them to do that activity, And that’s assuming that the animal is on a leash.
Sorry no support here.
May 22, 2016
870 posts
153 upvotes
Ontario
Nothing like your kid covered in dog poop because some lazy dog owner let their dog go on your lawn.
Dec 7, 2013
192 posts
109 upvotes
Our house is at the end of a block and dogs love to do their deeds on my lawn or boulevard.

Normally I don't realy care, but I find a lot of dog poo on my lawn... not picked up... dried or otherwise. I see this all the time when I mow the lawn. This is not cool.

Furthermore, when I try to overseed the lawn, and the dogs pee on that spot, nothing will again grow. This is very frustrating as a homeowner without dogs.

I do sympathize that people have dogs and the dogs need to do their thing, however, I feel that as a dogowner... you are the one responsible to make sure that your dog does not infringe upon other's property.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3590 posts
1425 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If right at the edge that is NOT their property, but city property most likely.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7565 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
I really don't get ppl w/ dogs trying to justify crapping on other ppl's property, who cares if it's technically the homeowner's or city's?

If your pet wanders onto someone else's domain, at the very least *clean* it up! Don't be so freaking selfish!

(Btw, not directed at chickinvic - she's one of the good ones :) - but to ppl in general.)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2448 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
It’s their property. They can landscape as they wish. Rose bushes aren’t a case.
If you’re unable to control your dog enough to not allow them to pee or step on their property, don’t walk your dog near it.
I have dogs, but what you’re saying .... isn’t reasonable at all.