Pets

Neighbours on my street leaving thorned rose branches on lawn to deter dogs

Nov 20, 2016
204 posts
195 upvotes
Victoria BC
IANAL but I'm pretty sure it's illegal in the US, and at least some parts of Canada. That said, I'm guessing it would be difficult to prove that the branches were placed intentionally. You can see some info here:

Re: traps on private property (MB) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.1856170

Re: 'natural' traps i.e. logs, branches (BC) http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/she ... l-sabotage
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
munguswot wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 5:20 pm
IANAL but I'm pretty sure it's illegal in the US, and at least some parts of Canada. That said, I'm guessing it would be difficult to prove that the branches were placed intentionally. You can see some info here:

Re: traps on private property (MB) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.1856170

Re: 'natural' traps i.e. logs, branches (BC) http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/she ... l-sabotage
I'm not sure that rose bush branches on someone's lawn are quite the same level as mentioned in those articles... But if the OP wants to take it to their Supreme Court...

C
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2441 posts
1321 upvotes
munguswot wrote:

Wow. Interesting read... not sure that it applies here though.

Some thorny rose bushes at the edge of your lawn is very different from setting up massive log traps designed to kill or injure cyclists on a public trail. What a crazy woman.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7570 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
This is an interesting thread because it reveals what some ppl think, e.g. some are trying to justify using someone else's lawn for their dog to crap on by arguing it's not really their property or that it's dangerous. Very silly arguments and I wonder what their stance was in that Disneyland/aligator/'no wading' issue....given their warped thinking, they probably said that the kid deserved to die (and, sadly, some ppl were actually of that view).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 5:36 pm
This is an interesting thread because it reveals what some ppl think, e.g. some are trying to justify using someone else's lawn for their dog to crap on by arguing it's not really their property or that it's dangerous. Very silly arguments and I wonder what their stance was in that Disneyland/aligator/'no wading' issue....given their warped thinking, they probably said that the kid deserved to die (and, sadly, some ppl were actually of that view).
I have dogs (2, to be precise). If a neighbor asked me not to let me dogs on their lawn, I'd keep my dogs off their lawn. Common courtesy goes a long ways in life, especially when it costs you nothing.

Now, the OP may not be the jerk dog owner letting his dog take a dump on their lawn and leaving it there, but I can definitely appreciate the neighbor's position. Our neighbors used to let their cat out, and it used to use our flower and vegetable beds as litter boxes. My ex and I discussed numerous times what to do about it, including getting a trap and setting it up in the front yard to warn the neighbors that we didn't appreciate the cat in our yard. Didn't escalate to that, but it was pretty close.

I have no idea how this relates to a boy getting killed by an alligator... (Edited to remove casting of blame against the parents)

C
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7570 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 6:00 pm
I have no idea how this relates to a boy getting killed by an alligator due to his parent's negligence...

C

It loosely relates due to the right of property usage and the warped conclusions drawn by some ppl, i.e. dogs should be allowed to use anyone's lawn for #1 and #2 and how dare they have preventative measures!; and just because the kid was 'wading' along the shoreline, yup, he deserved to die by aligator mauling! (smh to both)
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
Where is it said here that they're walking their dog on the lawn to do a poop? I'm not sure where that was mentioned or why that issue keeps being mentioned.

When my dogs walk on grass they do it for the smells mostly and do their poop before they leave the yard when I tell them to poop. I bring plenty of bags to clean up if they happen to go. Going for a walk and sticking to a sidewalk is pretty boring to a dog's point of view which is one of the reasons I don't bother to walk my dogs around the block.

I can't really grasp what sort of issues the homeowners would be having that make them go to such measures... seems silly at best when wild animals will always find a way to do whatever they please meanwhile unneighborly to anyone in the area that may for whatever reason have a need to attempt to set foot near their property... Like, to get at the fire hydrant.

A hedge would make a lot more sense and be far safer if they have issues with dogs. If someone were to hurt themself they could be sued; it is a homeowners responsibility to ensure their property is safe, which includes clearing things such as branches out of the way so people don't trip.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7570 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't it pretty obvious something happened to the lawn in question for the lawn owner to set up these obstructions? The dogs should 1 or 2 on their owner's property, period. Now, if there's an accident on someone else's, clean it up. To the reasonable person, that's the reason the owner is doing that, because there are too many irresponsible dog owners who probably let their dogs leave a mess and take off.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 2:06 am
Isn't it pretty obvious something happened to the lawn in question for the lawn owner to set up these obstructions? The dogs should 1 or 2 on their owner's property, period.
Not necessarily. Some people simply have very weird hang ups, these people simply may hate dogs. They may have seen a dog pee on the fire hydrant once and freaked out. I lived by a guy that was OCD and he just stood outside spraying his sidewalk with a hose all day long. I know someone that has a neighbour that's taken to vacuuming their roof. Frequently. Some people have warped priorities.

Also, dogs aren't machines where you control their every action nor do they understand property lines. Never met a dog that only went on their own property -- you're being completely unrealistic there. It is in their nature to mark. Some dogs simply go through the motion of urinating when there's nothing left in their bladder! Have you never walked a dog?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7570 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 2:26 am
Not necessarily. Some people simply have very weird hang ups, these people simply may hate dogs. They may have seen a dog pee on the fire hydrant once and freaked out. I lived by a guy that was OCD and he just stood outside spraying his sidewalk with a hose all day long. I know someone that has a neighbour that's taken to vacuuming their roof. Frequently. Some people have warped priorities.

Also, dogs aren't machines where you control their every action nor do they understand property lines. Never met a dog that only went on their own property -- you're being completely unrealistic there. It is in their nature to mark. Some dogs simply go through the motion of urinating when there's nothing left in their bladder! Have you never walked a dog?
Well, is it more likely that lawn owner is some sorta ocd freak...or that some dogs damaged his/her lawn and hence that reaction? I'm sure your extreme example is possible, but what's more probable? I think we all know the answer.

Also, I already said accidents happen but obviously there are too many irresponsible dog owners who are simply SELFISH and don't clean up or care about other ppl's property. I don't see how anyone can defend SELFISH actions of those lousy dog owners. My pt is unassailable.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
I'm not defending anyone that doesn't pick up after their dog. I don't believe anyone here is defending such actions.

What I am saying is that the subject is neither here nor there in regards to this thread since from what I'm reading from the OP, the people hate dogs, have given the dog owner dirty looks, and have gone as far as telling the dog owner not to walk by their home ... with no further forthcoming information. They do not sound remotely friendly so from that I'm going to say it could very easily be some crazed OCD homeowner. The fact that they appear paranoid about urine on the fire hydrant almost seals the deal. The hydrant wouldn't even be on their property I imagine but they're still worried about it...?
[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
699 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
I believe the homeowners do have some sort of crazy OCD. Anyways, I am a responsible dog owner who do always pick up after my dogs and do know there are a lot of irresponsible ones out there. I have a corner lot right by a bus stop so I get a lot of foot traffic and also a lot of poop on my lawn as well, but I don’t purposely leave thorned branches out as this is malicious intent I find, so what do I do? I build a $2000 fence on my inner yard to deter people from cutting across my lawn and possibly other dogs from leaving their waste. What if children walk around and pick up these branches. Children do silly things and can get hurt.

Like seriously, do people really value their grass under the fire hydrant, utility box, mail box or outer edge tree that much that they are willing to hurt other animals? What about rabbits that leave droppings everywhere? These are the types of people that probably secretly spray rat poison or leave tiny bits of poisoned meat to purposely hurt other animals.

Anyway, I have learned to avoid their lawn just so I don’t have to deal with these old nagging ocd neighbours in my face, but telling me to walk somewhere else just because I have a dog with me who’s not even stepping foot on your property is just rude.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6065 posts
231 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 6:00 pm
I have dogs (2, to be precise). If a neighbor asked me not to let me dogs on their lawn, I'd keep my dogs off their lawn. Common courtesy goes a long ways in life, especially when it costs you nothing.
Shouldn't you get permission from the neighbour BEFORE walking your dogs on THEIR lawn? Common courtesy would be to stay off someone else's property unless you're invited, no?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 3:11 pm
Shouldn't you get permission from the neighbour BEFORE walking your dogs on THEIR lawn? Common courtesy would be to stay off someone else's property unless you're invited, no?
If I was constantly using one neighbor's house as a dog dumping station, perhaps I would.

It's not like I'm walking up into the middle of their yard to let the dogs do their business. The dogs stay at the outside perimeter of the yard, and explore the bushes and scents within leash range. I'm not about to go knocking on everyone's door along my path, asking for permission to let my dogs sniff their yards. If someone is that anal about kids and dogs, they can put up a sign to ask people to stay off the lawn.

C
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
munguswot wrote:

The second article doesn't even apply as it's a dog walker setting up traps in a public area. And the first one is only illegal if the booby traps can cause severe injury or death. Nobody is dying of seriously injured from loose rose thorns. A few minor scratches at best. If this prosecute-able, then I should be able to sue anyone who doesn't get rid of their weeds as my allergies are going nuts.