Neighbours on my street leaving thorned rose branches on lawn to deter dogs

Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7553 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 6:04 pm
Down vote what, exactly? The rules of city property and the rules that come attached with ownership of a home to keep it safe?

I'm finding it pretty hilarious that this is likely not their property yet everyoneis talking about entitlement issues of others when it is actually the reverse. The homeowner entitlement to land that is not theirs is actually the issue here.

We own recreational property right beside a main trail -- foot traffic all over the place beside our property as well as loud golf carts blowing dust everywhere. Annoying, sure. But it isn't our property and so the best we can do is build a fence and live and let live.
You still don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter if it's technically their property or not, they are still responsible for its upkeep, yet you still think it's your "right" to trespass upon it. Obviously I'm not saying if the dog wanders upon it undisturbed (but still, if you see those thorns, why not just avoid it unless they actually go onto the sidewalk or 'real' public areas?), I'm talking about what probably happened, i.e. them taking a piss/crap on & destroying it and hence those measures by the owner(or caretaker of said property). Stop arguing technicalities, which is a sign of not having a good foundation. *I* find it hilarious selfish ppl w/ dogs think they can go anywhere they want. Just leave it alone, you're NOT welcomed and stop being so freaking stubborn. There are PLENTY of *real* public places to use, must you insist upon going somewhere where you're clearly not welcomed? Talk about having thick skin.

Bottom line, ppl still don't see the pt, the 'owner' has more claim to the land vs anyone else (save for the city). Why do some ppl insist upon making it harder for them to maintain that piece of property via destructive trepassing, and also thinking they have as much claim to it? Just blind and silly.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
265 upvotes
British Columbia
It's not their property. It's not trespassing.

I have a boulevard too. It gets annoying sometimes but them's the breaks.
Last edited by Karala on Dec 1st, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7553 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 6:40 pm
It's not their property. It's not trespassing.

I have a boulevard too. I get it's annoying sometimes but them's the breaks.
Well, you have higher tolerance than them, but then again, you probably don't have #1 or #2 damage, or maybe your tune would change.

Also, let's skip the technicalities, shall we? Whatever happened to common decency?
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
265 upvotes
British Columbia
Common decency would be to go about your business like everyone else that has a boulevard without resorting to using thorns. If they have an issue with whatever is happening beside their property then they can document it and contact the city with their issues.

Also, don't buy property by a fire hydrant nor with a boulevard next time of this is such a concern for them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7553 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 7:07 pm
Common decency would be to go about your business like everyone else that has a boulevard without resorting to using thorns. If they have an issue with whatever is happening beside their property then they can document it and contact the city with their issues.

Also, don't buy property by a fire hydrant nor with a boulevard next time of this is such a concern for them.
That's not common decency in my books.

Also, you make it sound like it's *their* fault to buy property w/ a public easement. That's craziness and doesn't make sense. How about those dog owners not allow their dogs to do 1 or 2 there? Simple and REAL common decency.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
265 upvotes
British Columbia
So you're saying everyone with an issue beside their property should be entitled to do whatever they please if they are inconvenienced? It doesn't work that way. The property came the way it was when they bought it. If they were not prepared to deal with the issues that may arise when caring for a boulevard that is on them, not on all the people that need to walk by the area.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7553 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 7:51 pm
So you're saying everyone with an issue beside their property should be entitled to do whatever they please if they are inconvenienced? It doesn't work that way. The property came the way it was when they bought it. If they were not prepared to deal with the issues that may arise when caring for a boulevard that is on them, not on all the people that need to walk by the area.
Like I said, it's just common decency not to make a mess...not because the property doesn't belong to you or that it technically doesn't belong to them - suddenly give you the right to make a mess. Them having the responsibility to maintain it is w/i reason to *reasonable* ppl, e.g. grass worn due to ppl walking on it, etc, NOT due to 1 or 2. Why do I need to spell out what's decent behavior? This is just mind-boggling.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
265 upvotes
British Columbia
I agree it would be great if people didn't make a mess by another's property. Who knows if this is actually an issue for them. We don't know why they are placing the cut up rose bushes there, as already mentioned they may just not like dogs or who knows what else.

I never disagreed with cleaning up after an animal and I always pick up after mine -- I am in full support of people cleaning up. Which carries over to these homeowners also cleaning up. Placing potentially harmful objects on public property is not ok. Two wrongs don't make a right.

People all over the place must deal with similar issues due to living by public access locations. I do on both properties I frequent. Why should these people be allowed to deal with their issues in such a manor? Might as well say it's A-OK for them and everyone else with boulevards to build a second fence even though it's not their property.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7553 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
We don't know for sure if it's their property or gov't's, and I'm willing to bet it's due to dogs doing 1 and 2 and not him/her being some crazy out there. If there's no 1 or 2, then there wouldn't be a 'retaliation' of sorts. You're not burdened w/ cleaning that mess, bet your tune would change quickly if everyone used your adjacent space as a toilet.
Dec 23, 2015
192 posts
153 upvotes
I guess some people think that their grass is way to precious. You have to be in a deep state of delusion to want to willfully injure an animal on property that belongs to everyone to protect a piece of turf.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7553 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 8:40 pm
I guess some people think that their grass is way to precious. You have to be in a deep state of delusion to want to willfully injure an animal on property that belongs to everyone to protect a piece of turf.
Will everyone take part in cleaning up the turds in said communal property turf? I thought so.

Stop being selfish for once and think why they did it in the first place. Again, if there's no damage to said turf, yes, the dude's off, but I'm willing to bet there are lots of 1s and 2s.

How difficult is it to have some common decency and not burden others? Some ppl will never get it.
Dec 23, 2015
192 posts
153 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:05 pm
Will everyone take part in cleaning up the turds in said communal property turf? I thought so.

Stop being selfish for once and think why they did it in the first place. Again, if there's no damage to said turf, yes, the dude's off, but I'm willing to bet there are lots of 1s and 2s.

How difficult is it to have some common decency and not burden others? Some ppl will never get it.
I'm not sure how you came to the assumption that people weren't cleaning up turds. There are plenty of people who walk dogs in my neighbourhood and occasionally a dog will relieve itself on the public boulevard. In 15 years I have once found a turn on the boulevard. Maybe the owner was irresponsible but maybe they just forgot a bag that time. It didn't kill me to clean it up though and the grass still grows.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7553 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:12 pm
I'm not sure how you came to the assumption that people weren't cleaning up turds. There are plenty of people who walk dogs in my neighbourhood and occasionally a dog will relieve itself on the public boulevard. In 15 years I have once found a turn on the boulevard. Maybe the owner was irresponsible but maybe they just forgot a bag that time. It didn't kill me to clean it up though and the grass still grows.
...and I dunno why you came to the assumption that there are responsible dog owners in that person's neck of the woods. Again, I keep asking but some ppl just refuse to acknowledge the most likely reason for his 'retaliation', and that his 'booby trapping' the place didn't just come out of nowhere w/o any cause.

Also, just because you like to clean up after others doesn't mean other ppl want to as well. That's just nasty.

Anyway, I'm done. There will always be selfish ppl no matter what that don't give a crap about others.
Dec 23, 2015
192 posts
153 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:17 pm
...and I dunno why you came to the assumption that there are responsible dog owners in that person's neck of the woods. Again, I keep asking but some ppl just refuse to acknowledge the most likely reason for his 'retaliation', and that his 'booby trapping' the place didn't just come out of nowhere w/o any cause.

Also, just because you like to clean up after others doesn't mean other ppl want to as well. That's just nasty.

Anyway, I'm done. There will always be selfish ppl no matter what that don't give a crap about others.
I don't know the reason why anyone would put thorns where children or pets would be likely to step on them. It is a depraved act no matter how you try and justify it. It appears you are quite emotionally invested in this topic and speculating on scenarios that may exist only in your imagination.
Mar 19, 2013
607 posts
173 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I have read OP's posts several times. I my well be wrong, The posts do not mention that this a boulevard scenario. I read it as private property. Where did the boulevard notion come from?