PC & Video Games

Is the NES Classic likely to gain value years from now?

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2017 2:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10308 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto

Is the NES Classic likely to gain value years from now?

So like many I picked up an NES Classic off a scalper. Although I didn't overpay too much. Only downside was that it was used 2-3x and the guy said it isn't his thing. I picked it up knowing that on some drinking nights with buddies someone's gonna want to go all nostalgic for a few minutes.

But although it's used, all in mint condition and all that, if I leave it in the closet for say 5-10 years is it likely to be with more then? I bought it as a pretty rare collectible piece and also want a second controller but those are hard to come by (the actual Nintendo ones) so may not. I'm also debating on doing the hackchi mod but am guessing that would probably devalue it.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2039 posts
1483 upvotes
Montreal
I would say only to a collector. For any one else, they can get one of the many Android boxes or whatever else that can do more than just play NES games.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10308 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
clee290 wrote: I would say only to a collector. For any one else, they can get one of the many Android boxes or whatever else that can do more than just play NES games.
Yea that's what I assume. Although worldwide there are many collectors and this little unit seems like it's going to be one of those things that will always be sought after by collectors.

Although if the rumors are true about a snes one coming out I can get that one will be even more popular.

I have been debating putting my own emulator thing together, I'd love to re play Mario RPG and a few other games again in the near future for nostalgia reasons.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7522 posts
976 upvotes
Toronto
Only To a collector and collectors want them sealed in box.

10-15 years down the line, those that know what a Nes is will be seniors and the latter generation don't care for it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5220 posts
913 upvotes
calgary
I think it will unless they come out with a version 2 or something. That thing is practically a collectors item now and I think it will hold a unique spot in history. Of course you wont fetch near as much 10-20 years down the road as its not BNIB but I had the same thought process as you in my desire to pick one up just to hold on to it.

Im also wondering if the WiiU might start to become a bit of a collectors item some day as well, its already very difficult to find and it has some good games that just simply cant be played on other consoles due to the quirky nature of the console.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1830 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, it likely will be.

But there is a chance that Nintendo will relaunch the NES classic in some way or form in the future.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10308 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I think it will unless they come out with a version 2 or something. That thing is practically a collectors item now and I think it will hold a unique spot in history. Of course you wont fetch near as much 10-20 years down the road as its not BNIB but I had the same thought process as you in my desire to pick one up just to hold on to it.

Im also wondering if the WiiU might start to become a bit of a collectors item some day as well, its already very difficult to find and it has some good games that just simply cant be played on other consoles due to the quirky nature of the console.
I don't think the WiiU will be very sought after to be honest
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7430 posts
4026 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: I don't think the WiiU will be very sought after to be honest
With the homebrew mod scene blowing up right now it already is. The WiiU is the only Nintendo console that can play every game from every console generation which makes it far more valuable imo. When/if they patch out the current exploit, the ones still on exploitable fw are going to be worth a lot
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10308 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm. I haven't been following homebrew stuff much so I didn't even know about that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7430 posts
4026 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: Hmm. I haven't been following homebrew stuff much so I didn't even know about that.
It's a fairly recent thing and only got easy and started gaining popularity since around December. I did mine over the xmas holiday and it was pretty straight forward. Makes it much more valuable than a NES classic imo since it can do that as well every other home console including N64, GC and Wii. https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5220 posts
913 upvotes
calgary
Most collectors don't want an emulation device, there are plenty of devices available that can handle emulation and its been around for years and been available on a number of devices, well the homebrew scene blowing up (combined with the current level of scarcity) might lead to a temporary gain in second hand prices I don't think it'll have an effect long term to the collectors that actually pay a premium for these things.

The fact that the NES classic was as big a hit as it was should be evidence of that. Even through legal means a lot of those games had been available on the Wii/WiiU/3DS but I dont think people are just looking to play those games, they are looking to replicate that experience of playing a classic NES.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1578 posts
435 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised if it appreciated a a rate greater than inflation. I don't expect it would be an investment with a good return.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10308 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
rkjredflag wrote: I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised if it appreciated a a rate greater than inflation. I don't expect it would be an investment with a good return.
Yea, never know. I'm still gonna keep it unless I need the $ badly. It'll be fun to bring out once in awhile.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6567 posts
2621 upvotes
Canada
No, not at all.

Most people who speculate on things don't get rich, because they speculate wrong. It's a bit goofy for people to believe an emulation box will continue to hold a higher value than the original device it's emulating.

I'd argue within 12 months these will sell for MSRP.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7430 posts
4026 upvotes
Toronto
People are already paying $500-600 for them to be modded with the whole NES library. Not sure it'll retain that value but my friend has been making a killing modding and flipping them